Company meeting touched on firearms

This is a discussion on Company meeting touched on firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My company had it's annual meeting for all employees yesterday, and the safety supervisor went through the usual items, EEO, Sexual Harassment, Violence in the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Company meeting touched on firearms

My company had it's annual meeting for all employees yesterday, and the safety supervisor went through the usual items, EEO, Sexual Harassment, Violence in the workplace.

During the Violence in the workplace, she hit on guns mostly;

You don't carry a gun with you to work, you don't keep a gun in your company truck. I don't carry my .45 to work (she is ex military). If someone carries their gun to work and gets mad at another employee or someone on a job site, they might get their gun and shoot them. You don't bring weapons to work.

I don't think my eyebrows could have rose much higher into my forehead. So, now it has been made verbally official.

Now as a mechanic, my truck is 99% full of weapons. Large heavy blunt instruments, several sharp ones, lots of pointy ones.

One of the guys sitting next to me looks over at me and says sarcastically, "You're not carrying a gun are you?" To which I replied, "All that I have are tools" and to myself "and some of them are for specific jobs."

Now my friend sitting on my other side does also have a CCW, but was less than careful about "concealment" for the first three months that he had it, and had been seen by several employees with his shoulder holster rig, and hip holster, rather openly. He works the graveyard shift (6p - 6a). He was also the focus of the safety supervisors attention while she was speaking on the issue.

I have been riding his butt for quite a while that concealed means concealed, I don't care that open carry is legal, you are making a scene, and I don't think our supervisor meant this when he unofficially said "Most of the drivers (mechanics and oilers) keep a gun in their truck and I would too. You are not supposed to, but if something does happen, and it is justified, the company will back you up".

I am now debating with myself if I should continue or stop, what I would say if I was made (being 1 of 3 employees that is not an illegal or convict) other than "The State, my County Sheriff, and the FBI feel that I am responsible enough, and stable enough to be licensed to CC, and I am probably the most law abiding person in your field staff, so what is the problem? When have you heard or seen me get into a heated argument let alone a fight with anyone?

You send me to remote locations alone at night to work on equipment, and we have a long history of fuel, equipment, and wiring from the operations and generator trailers being stolen (average of 1 site per week getting hit). If someone wants it bad enough, that fact that I am there is not going to stop them, and if they would rather that there are no witnesses or the police get called and interrupt them before they are done, my safety is now an issue, and my 2 1/2" wrench is not going to be very effective, presuming I can either get to it or happen to be using it at the time.
    Last edited by JD; March 7th, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

It's your life they are risking, What they don't know won't hurt them. Your friend is bringing unneeded attentionhim around a little bit.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

My interpretation

I am sympathetic to your situation. You have to work in a dangerous environment where you could be the target of criminals, and your employer wants to disarm you and make you more vulnerable. I was especially disgusted at the employer's comment you reported:

If someone carries their gun to work and gets mad at another employee or someone on a job site, they might get their gun and shoot them.
    This perpetuates the false argument made by anti gunners that an honest person will become a criminal if he has a gun within reach. It shows a poor understanding of human nature, and is an insult to honest people.

I believe that what is happening here is that the company is more concerned about its own legal liability than your safety. By going on record to prohibit guns, they have a better chance of avoiding liability later in court if an employee damages another person with a gun.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Send a formal request to the Safety Dept asking for detailed instructions on how to handle personal safety and self defense in light of the fact that you cannot carry for self protection. Wait for the reply. While waiting, contact a lawyer and give specific instructions as to who should be sued if you are injured or killed by a criminal on the job. Instruct family members to contact the lawyer if something happens to you and you are unable to contact the lawyer.

If your company makes rules that keep you from defending yourself, they are liable for your injury or death at the hand of a criminal. The courts have ruled in the victims favor.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

My thoughts on this is you all get to make your own decision and is your life worth more than the job?

I would recommend a don't ask and don't tell!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

You may want to talk with your boss. If she is ex-military she might understand. Granted your life is more important, but if you not only got spotted- but forced to use your firearm on the job, you could be easily fired and vilified for it. In the end concealed means concealed, so, assuming your boss trusts you (maybe she shouldn't heh), if you ask and she says no you could always still try and get away with it.

If someone carries their gun to work and gets mad at another employee or someone on a job site, they might get their gun and shoot them. You don't bring weapons to work.
    Of course, if an uncontrollable guy gets real mad and now has to go all the way home to get a gun, he might come back with a shotgun or hunting rifle and 1000 rounds of ammo. Damage is probably minimized by him having only a pistol on him and no planning time. Damage would of course be furthur controlled by his intended target(s) being armed. I guess I don't have to tell you guys this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    My thoughts on this is you all get to make your own decision and is your life worth more than the job?

Bingo...And also, like pogo said, their only concern is their legal liability. Personally, I think my life is more important than their whiney "what ifs"
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I agree with this.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    If your company makes rules that keep you from defending yourself, they are liable for your injury or death at the hand of a criminal. The courts have ruled in the victims favor.
    When has this ever happened?!? No one is liable for the illegal acts of another. They may be liable for failing to take simple measures to avoid foreseeable events.

As far as I know, no one has ever prevailed in court based on this.

I am not a lawyer. Even if I was, I wouldn't recommend sticking your neck out based on legal advise from anonymous posters on a web site.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    When has this ever happened?!? No one is liable for the illegal acts of another. They may be liable for failing to take simple measures to avoid foreseeable events.

As far as I know, no one has ever prevailed in court based on this.

I am not a lawyer. Even if I was, I wouldn't recommend sticking your neck out based on legal advise from anonymous posters on a web site.
    The cases I know include the most easily remembered (we learned about it on a trip to the capital in 5th grade, learned how stupid government is back then!) when an armed guard for a transport company was fired after leaving the truck to tend to a screaming woman. He actually stopped her assailant before he could complete his attempted rape. Employee fired. It was held up in court I believe.

The case isn't identical to what your's would be. But the lesson is the same. If you draw your firearm, prepare to take all responsibility for doing so- good and bad. Just know before you draw it, you are willing to take the consequences, fair or not.

Back in the 80’s I worked for a national chain of mortgage companies. In the early 80’s I was transferred to take over an office manager position, because the office had been robbed, and the BG’s actually walked the employees into the backroom and shot each and everyone of them in the face.

I had a CCL but company policy forbid carrying a weapon at work. So, I carried my Walther PPKs, IWB each and everyday. NO one ever knew, and I kept it that way, for the 1 ½ years I worked there.

To me my life was more important than the job. And you’ll have to ask yourself the same question.

But, keep in mind at that time, I could have walked across the street and got another job doing the same thing for one of our competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    But, keep in mind at that time, I could have walked across the street and got another job doing the same thing for one of our competitors.
    That and you had a pretty convincing reason to based on passed history

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I'd get a SmartCarry & call it a day. You will never be discovered.

....or you could say that you have some serious concerns about the "Safety" Supervisor's understanding of workplace violence, and give her a copy of this:
    Amazon.com: Rage of the Random Actor: Disarming Catastrophic Acts And Restoring Lives: Dan Korem: Books

Be sure to read it first! You can then say its helped you de-escalate field situations, avoid trouble, etc., etc.. For $13 used, Rage of the Random Actor is one of the best books someone interested in personal defense can read (far more practical then DeBecker!)

FWIW, I am of the"do what you need to do to make it home" crowd.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links