Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCW for Fed and LEO Retired?

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
At the gym that I use there are several LEO. One Border Patrol Officer retired about 2 years ago. He thinks, and may be correct, that as a retired federal officer he has authority to carry concealed. He does not do so, but thinks the federal laws permit him to carry concealed without any license.

Another person retired from a State Highway Patrol. He also thinks he does not need a license to carry concealed, although he also does not desire to do so.

If I remember correctly the law does permit retired LEOs to carry, but they must be qualified and licensed by the department from which they retired. I think there is a limitation, such as 5 years, on that licensing.

Anyone know the laws regarding retired fed officers, and retired state officers?

Thanks,
Jerry

#2 ·
The law I think you are refering to is called the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004.

This law applies to persons who meet the definition listed below of a "Qualified Law Enforcement Officer."

qualified law enforcement officer means an employee of a governmental agency who--

`(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;

`(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

`(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;

`(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

`(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

`(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

What About us Retired Guys?
Yes, HR 218, the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004, applies to retired officers who meet the law's definition of "qualified retired law enforcement officer."

HR 218, the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act

#4 ·
The LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act), formerly known as HR 218, allows all active-duty, full-time officers with powers of arrest to carry concealed in all 50 states, without regard to that state's laws, except that states may regulate WHERE concealed weapons may and may not be carried.

It also applies to RETIRED officers meeting the above criteria, provided that they have a photo ID issued by their agency, and proof of qualification within the last year. Qualification need not be done by the same agency, or even the same state, that the officer retired from, but must meet the criteria developed by the state or agency the qualification course is run in.

There are additional common sense restrictions, and most if not all terms are defined. It's online if you want to see it for yourself.

Google is your friend. :eek:)

#5 ·
An additional component to carry by retired LEO's under LEOSA 2004 is to have a current (i.e. within the preceeding 12 months) certification of proficiency with the "type" of handgun they are carrying (where "type" means semi-auto vs. revolver). The certification has to be done within their current state of residence & meet that state's standard for active duty law enforcement officers. Some states are better than others in making this doable for retirees from other jurisdictions. Some states with provisions for their own folks/agencies forget to make provisions for retired feds or retirees who move in from out of state.

edit : oops, Sergeant Mac got his in before me ...

Nick

#10 ·
An additional component to carry by retired LEO's under LEOSA 2004 is to have a current (i.e. within the preceeding 12 months) certification of proficiency with the "type" of handgun they are carrying (where "type" means semi-auto vs. revolver). The certification has to be done within their current state of residence & meet that state's standard for active duty law enforcement officers. Some states are better than others in making this doable for retirees from other jurisdictions. Some states with provisions for their own folks/agencies forget to make provisions for retired feds or retirees who move in from out of state.

edit : oops, Sergeant Mac got his in before me ...

Nick
The certification has to be done within their current state of residence

Not true!

#6 ·
I am wondering if Federal Officers who are retired come under the same type regulations, or if they have an authorization to carry without the same restrictions.

From looking at the TX requirements it appears that even retired Federal officers have to shoot a qualification.
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.