Defensive Carry banner

First time pulled over with CCW

11K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Zach S 
#1 ·
So last night I got pulled over by a Raleigh police officer, my first encounter with a LEO since getting my Concealed Handgun License last October.

I left my apartment about 11:00 pm to go over to my girlfriend's house, which is about 3 miles away. When I clicked on the headlights, the light on the dash came on indicating a burned-out bulb somewhere. I peered through the windshield and was able to determine from the light pattern on the building that my passenger-side headlight was out. No big deal, there's and Advance Auto near my office, I'll go get one tomorrow during my lunch break.

So, rotten luck, on a 3-mile drive immediately after the light goes out, I get pulled over just short of the side street that leads to my gf's house.

I was a bit nervous, trying to remember all the tips they had given us in CCW class. As soon as I stopped I rolled down the window, shut off the engine, turned on the domelight, retrieved my wallet from my pocket and set it in my lap, (So that I wouldn't have to go digging around after I informed the officer of my armed status.), and then sat with my hands on the wheel.

The officer was young, maybe younger than me (I'm 28). The converesation went something like this:

Leo: Good Evening.
Me: Evening, officer.
Leo: I pulled you over to make you aware that you have a headlight out. Do you have your license with you tonight, sir?
Me (opening wallet and retrieving documents): I do, and I also have a concealed weapons permit here, too.
Leo(accepting license and CHL): Do you have your weapon now?
Me: Yes I do.
Leo: Is it over there on your right?
Me: Yes it is, there's also one under the seat. Do you want me to......? (Making a questioning gesture, palms up with both hands)
Leo: That's fine, just keep your hands out, sit tight, I'll be right back.
(He goes back to his car with my license and permit, I sit with the domelight on, resting my hands on top of the wheel.)
Leo returns: All right sir, do you still live at <address>.
Me: Yes I do, I'm heading to my girlfriend's house just up here.
Leo (handing back documents): OK, well better get that light fixed, or you'll just keep getting pulled over. And thanks for clueing me in on the concealed weapon.
Me: Well, that's what I'm supposed to do.
Leo: Right. Have a good evening, sir.
Me: Same to you, officer.

So I fired up, turned off the domelight, and drove forward the other 250 feet or so until the turnoff for my gf's street.

Overall, it went exactly like I would hope it would, the LEO was professional and courteous, if he noticed I was a little nervous he didn't say anything. Actually, after he had verified my license and CHL, he became quite friendly, there was some other dialogue I left out, about the bulb indicator light on my dash, and how surprising it was that a 1988 car would have something like that.

Of course, I was still pissed at the rotten luck of getting pulled within 3 miles of a bulb going out. But all in all not too bad of an experience.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey CLS...

sounds like a pretty positive experience, and a very good job on your part. where abouts do you live? LOL

I run with the campus ambulance squad, and pulled squad duty for all of labor day weekend. As i'm heading to campus to go do a standby with the rig, a friend calls my cell and tells me that my headlight is out. I'm like, CRAP, something else to do. I'll take care of it tomorrow (it's already like 1845 and I'm supposed to be on station with my ambulance by 1900). Standby goes fine, and I'm on the way home (a distance of maybe a mile...).

I turn off onto the side street where my house is located, and I'm about halfway to the house when a cop turns onto the street behind me, patrol car lit up like a Chirstmas tree. So I pull over to let him go by, except he pulls in behind me. I'm like ... what? I wasn't even speeding tonight!

He gets out, and walks up to the car, and I realize it's one of the campus cops, and I know him. He looks at me, I go "Hey Sarge" He says "Oh, you, you have a headlight out. get it fixed, goodnight"

The next night, got pulled over in the SAME place, this time by a town cop. So, needless to say, I fixed that headlight as soon as my weekend shifts ended and I could get to the autoparts store.

--Jim

P.S. - Off topic for CCW, but both officers treated me the way I would expect to be treated in a traffic stop situation.

#6 ·
Courtesy - courtesy and more courtesy - makes the world go round so much better and as I have said before, putting myself in a cop's shoes - this is what I would prefer any day.

Even without any carry law - I'd certainly like, as a cop, for any driver to be up front with me.

Good result.

#7 ·
An LEO will expect a modicum of nervousness in any stopped motorist. The tension is understandably mutual. You handled the situation admirably by heeping your hands visible and your demeanor cooperative. I like to have my ID's together and accessible enough so that I may retrieve them without undue movement or contortion while the LEO is assessing the situation before the interview. Also, I'll try to position my ID's on my person so I may retrieve them at the checkout counter without exposing anything else.

As more and more routine encounters with police are handled like you did, I think the law enforcement community will gravitate to our cause. Massad Ayoob refused to be promoted past captain, because pressures from appointees higher up were based upon political agendas. By and large, the rank and file recognize, at the very least, that we do no harm.

#8 ·
Through the years I've had several encounters with LEO's and my CCW. All of them have been civil, and after a couple of seconds actually became friendly.

I have the habit of carrying my permit behind my DL. When I show an ID I also present my permit underneath my DL. After looking at my DL then looking at the permit, I'm usually asked if I'm carrying now, after replying in the affirmative, I can visibly see most of them actually relax during the exchange.
If you are calm and give him no reason to be suprised, most encounters will be very civil.

I have gotten out of 2 speeding tickets with it as well. After finding out I had the permit, there was no delay in the officer telling to me just slow down and have a good night.

#9 ·
I'm usually asked if I'm carrying now, after replying in the affirmative, I can visibly see most of them actually relax during the exchange.
Interesting observation. I wonder if the officer suddenly feels like, at least for the next few minutes, he has backup?

#10 ·
at least for the next few minutes, he has backup?
More I think that you have been up front, courtious and pretty much established your position as a good guy - and so threat stress can be eased for him.

#11 ·
I remember back in the middle part of '96 just after TX passed CC, I was stopped on my M/C and presented my DL and CHL as required. LEO a little taken aback when presented with it, asked me where I was carrying and I stated small of back all the while keeping both my hands on the tank.
LEO admitted this was the first time he had encountered someone carrying and we started talking guns. By the end of the stop, he had messed around with and complimented my Kimber and my bike.
Handed my documents back and told me to have a nice day. Asked him why he stopped me in the first place and he looked at me and said that he couldn't remember.

All in all, any LEO encounters I have had have been positive ones.

#13 ·
Young Cops....

I've usually had the occasion to get stopped at one of those DUI/insurance checkpoints. I have my SCHTICK memorized: "Officer, it's my duty under Florida law to inform you that I have a Concealed Firearms Permit and I'm currently lawfully armed. I'm carrying a 45 strongside (right) hip. I'm keeping my hands on the wheel and awaiting instructions."

They usually reply with "Well that was smooth. Just keep your hands in plain sight and we're cool." Or sometimes they ask me to step from the car and lock my hands behind my neck while THEY draw my gun and hold it so we can talk about the business at hand. Thats cool as long as they're polite. They almost always are.

But ONE time, about five years ago, I tell this to a rookie just out of the academy and suddenly I'm staring muzzle to my nose at the business end of his Glock and then I focus on his finger which is ON the trigger and he's shaking like a leaf. Now I'm really scared. I can hear his older partner screaming at him to stop being a rookie IDIOT and put away his gun....But he ignores the veteran and orders me out of the car, to put my hands up and walk to the REAR (backwards) and I do this until I feel his barrel poking into my back. He takes the gun and "runs" it a dozen times hoping it's stolen all the time grilling me as to why I feel the need to carry a gun.

THAT was a long and interesting conversation. I asked him what year he graduated high school and he says something like 1996. So I sigh and whisper "it figures." He wants to know what I mean by THAT and so I hand him my business card and offer to discuss it over a friendly beer. He takes the card and exclaims: YOU'RE a firearms INSTRUCTOR? like he was speaking directly to Satan. I sighed again and told him the rest of the bad news: I also teach high school American History and American Government. I asked him what he made in those clases and he just handed me back my stuff and told me to "move along" as his partner apologized and said the "punk is why he's retiring at the end of the year..." Great. Another good cop leaves the force, while the Jack Booted Thugs start to take over...."

As I walk back to my vehicle, I look at the Rookie and I say: "In the future, PLEASE keep your finger OFF the trigger. You'll save your department MILLIONS of dollars." He just glares at me. I drive away, slowly.

#15 ·
In PA if you get stopped by me and you declare your CCW status, while keeping your hands on the steering wheel, and remaining courteous; You most likely 99.999% not getting a citation or any drama. I will run my checks, I will thank you for informing me, I will advise you the reason of the stop, and you are on your way.

If I see your firearm accidently and I have not been informed of your CCW status, my actions and attiude will adjust accordingly and you may not like it very much. Self preservation kicks in and so will the drama.

It's your choice.

#16 ·
I'm in Fla. too.
My ccw has gotten me out of every speeding ticket I've been stopped for.
But the best was when a lady LEO chewed me out for NOT carrying. I mean really let go at me. She wanted me out there armed so if she ever needed backup I would be there to help. I got out of the ticket by promising to carry at all times. I've seen her since and she checks me to make sure I'm keeping my promise. How good is that?

AFS

#17 ·
You had a GREAT experience with your stop....Both you and the LEO exchanged positive and professional mannerism. I'm sure he appreciated your honest answers and he, in return, will remember you.
Makes for good positive PR with the CCW Folks out there.

#19 ·
Here's my take....

AirForceShooter said:
I'm in Fla. too.
My ccw has gotten me out of every speeding ticket I've been stopped for.
But the best was when a lady LEO chewed me out for NOT carrying. I mean really let go at me. She wanted me out there armed so if she ever needed backup I would be there to help. I got out of the ticket by promising to carry at all times. I've seen her since and she checks me to make sure I'm keeping my promise. How good is that?

AFS
Let's put it this way....if you and she were single and unattached AND if she's a knockout...it'd be a match made in Heaven! At least that's my twisted thinking....

#21 ·
Funny that this subject was brought up, last week I learned that when my speedometer says I'm doing 65mph, I'm actually doing 76...

Long story made short: I got wrote up for 69 in a 60 (no affect on insurance, just another $120 gone). According to a buddy (that works for the same department, on the same shift), the cop that got me doesnt write anyone low...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.