Flying from Seattle to Cleveland - Carry?

This is a discussion on Flying from Seattle to Cleveland - Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am flying from Seattle to Cleveland next month for a weekend wedding. I want to carry. Is it worth it, air travel, etc. ? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying from Seattle to Cleveland - Carry?

I am flying from Seattle to Cleveland next month for a weekend wedding. I want to carry. Is it worth it, air travel, etc. ? Is my WA license ok in Cleveland? I think so...

Any thoughts?

According to Handgunlaw.us, OH does honor your WA permit. Go for it. Just got to the TSA website to make sure you follow all the procedures, then check your airline's website to see if they impose any additional requirements. Go and stay safe

Administrator
    Depends where in Cleveland too. Most areas I would say no, its not worth the hassle, other areas I'd say yes, take a shotgun too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Depends where in Cleveland too. Most areas I would say no, its not worth the hassle, other areas I'd say yes, take a shotgun too.

LOL. But the shottie prints a little bit.

Planning to stay in the nicer areas, but since I don't know Cleveland at all and will be out at night going from place to place downtown, I thought it might be nice to have along. Wife doesn't like the idea, and I have never brought a gun when flying.

I do like the idea of packing the 12 ga along, lol.

Administrator
    There are a lot of nice areas... just a few not so nice ones.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How about the airport part. Is it a pain in the A?? or is it easy if you follow TSA guidlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    will be out at night going from place to place downtown, I thought it might be nice to have along.
    Unfortunately, Ohio doesn't allow CCW in any place that serves alcohol which may limit your ability to carry if you planned on checking out any of the restaurants.

hmm. I thought I understood that you could carry in establishments that didn't have a majority of sales from alchohol. Is it actually NO restaurants at all? I am going to go searching, because I know this has been covered here plenty of times...

Administrator
    Its just those that serve alcohol. Nobody pays attention to it anyway to be perfectly honest.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Taking The Plane With A Piece

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
      • The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
    3. Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    6. Check this non-descript bag at the airport. Have the rules for the airline in hand.
    7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in, and if the TSA wants to see.
    8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft to the airline, the FAA Regional Office, and the ATF Regional Office immediately.

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us to determine:
      • Where and how you can carry in Ohio; rules are different than what you are used to.
      • What are the deadly force rules in Ohio, and how they differ from Washington.
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

If you are stopped by a leo you must imediatly inform them you have a ccw permit and that you are armed. If you don't it's a felony. If you are not armed you don't have to inform. You can download a copy of Ohio's Concealed Carry Law book from Marc Dann Ohio Attorney General

Good Luck

All of the above is good advice. Even though it wouldn't seem so, in actual practice different airlines have slightly different procedures on checked weapons. As previously mentioned, be sure to look on your particular airline's website for their policies and procedures on weapons in checked luggage and print out a hard copy just in case the ticket agent at the airport doesn't follow it or gives you a problem. Lots of turnover in those positions these days. You might carry along a hard copy of the TSA policy from their website, as well.

Also, think twice about it if you're making a connection to get where you're going. A lot of bags are mishandled on connections. If you decide to go ahead, I wouldn't take a really expensive weapon or one that you really wouldn't want to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    If you are stopped by a leo you must imediatly inform them you have a ccw permit and that you are armed. If you don't it's a felony. If you are not armed you don't have to inform. You can download a copy of Ohio's Concealed Carry Law book from Marc Dann Ohio Attorney General
    Good catch... that's not required in WA so it'd be easy to overlook.

As a fellow traveler, I will add that GHFLRLTD has provided a great set of guidelines.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its just those that serve alcohol. Nobody pays attention to it anyway to be perfectly honest.
    I live on the west side of Cleveland. Bring your gun. If you go into a place where alcohol is dispensed for consumption, lock it in your glove compartment. When you leave, re-arm. If you have a drink, unload it completely and lock in trunk. I pay attention to the law. My friends who carry do as well. If stopped for any law enforcement purpose, say IMMEDIATELY, "Officer, I have a license to carry a concealed weapon. I am armed. My firearm is located on my right hip", (or wherever it is.) Interupt him if you have to! Keep your hands on the steering wheel and don't worry, they'll be cool about it if you follow the rules. More details at Ohioans for concealed carry website, (OFCC). Enjoy your stay. Bring warm socks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links