Don't lose your permit!

This is a discussion on Don't lose your permit! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I traveled to Germany a few weeks ago, and decided to leave my ccw permit at home. Well, when I got back I couldn't find ...

Thread: Don't lose your permit!

Don't lose your permit!

I traveled to Germany a few weeks ago, and decided to leave my ccw permit at home. Well, when I got back I couldn't find it. Very disconcerting! I finally found an online application for a duplicate (in TN), and sent it off with a check. Shortly thereafter, much to my relief, I found my permit. But I may have been without a permit for 6 to 8 weeks, otherwise. So again: DON'T LOSE YOUR PERMIT. Be extra careful. When my duplicate arrives, I'm going to store it in a safe place, and make a note in my daytimer about where it is.

I love the banana!
    Dr. Marshall C. St. John, pastor
    www.waysidechurch.org

2. Remove Ads

I totally understand... I have gotten in the habit of storing in my safe all the things that I would normally carry with me when I don't for some reason. That way when I return I will know exactly where they are. .... NOW, if I can only remember when the safe is! J/K
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    I have two wallets. One with my permits, is used while in the states. We I travel out of the country I use another which does not have my permits in it. That way if something happens to my wallet while overseas I don't have to replace everything, just my driver's license & credit cards.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Keep it next to your carry gun when you leave. I doubt you'll lose that.

Umm, maybe I'm not aware of some obvious fact here, but why not not just keep it in your wallet, where it normally lives? It's not enough to say in case the wallet gets stolen, because that's a risk at home as much as when travelling.

Is there some risk to carrying your permit when travelling abroad that I'm not aware of?

I'm curious.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    Umm, maybe I'm not aware of some obvious fact here, but why not not just keep it in your wallet, where it normally lives? It's not enough to say in case the wallet gets stolen, because that's a risk at home as much as when travelling.

Is there some risk to carrying your permit when travelling abroad that I'm not aware of?

I'm curious.
    There's always a risk... When I travel I tend to misplace things all the time. Living out of a suitcase and hotel room(s) is doing things out of the norm, it's easy to misplace things. Ever leave your favorite sneakers at a hotel?

I can see where losing your wallet is a bigger risk - you're always taking it out and using it.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to apply for a replacement just to have a backup?

dv
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

it may be against the law to have two active permits issued by the same state. prob should check that out. reason being if your permit is collected by the law you should not have access to another. you may need to destroy your old one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    Is there some risk to traveling abroad that I'm not aware of?

I'm curious.
    IMHO...YES!

When I'm in the US, I can be armed & defend myself against muggers. In a foreign country I can't. I am at more risk overseas than at home of loosing my wallet to some miscreant(s). So I don't travel with anymore credit cards, ID than necessary....Why take your permit(s) when you can't carry a firearm? They are a couple of items that wouldn't need to be replaced whne out of the country.

Of all the countries that I have gone to lately, the only one where I felt at the least risk was Bermuda. The others that I've been to lately have included places like Jamaica, Dominican Reb., Costa Rica & Mexico & the UK. These latter ones make you realize how good the US really is....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The other risk is one of inconvenience. As you know, there are many people "out there" who are afraid of guns. I would hate to run into a TSA inspector who would see my permit and flip out. I believe such an over reaction would be possible. Or a customs/baggage inspector in a foreign country, who would see my permit and flip out. Why risk the hassle?
    Dr. Marshall C. St. John, pastor
    www.waysidechurch.org

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    The other risk is one of inconvenience. As you know, there are many people "out there" who are afraid of guns. I would hate to run into a TSA inspector who would see my permit and flip out. I believe such an over reaction would be possible. Or a customs/baggage inspector in a foreign country, who would see my permit and flip out. Why risk the hassle?
    I mean no disrespect, but why would they flip out over a permit? It's a piece of paper. It's not like it's as dangerous as the gun. In Texas they look similar to our DL/ID cards. They would likely think it was an ID card & not pay much attention to it. It would be them who looked stupid if they freaked out. If you're not hiding anything, you have nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Why would a TSA guy see your permit at all? Show them your driver's license or passport for ID.

Anyhow - I always take only the credit card/ATM card, ID, etc I am going to need when I travel. And before I go, I make a copy of the front and back of whatever I am taking and store that in my luggage so I can refer to it when my cards get lost or stolen.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

That's why I keep mine in my wallet all the time and if it had to come out I would put it in my fire box.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Links