The ''borderline'' BG - Page 2

The ''borderline'' BG

This is a discussion on The ''borderline'' BG within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so he's bringing his gun around to point it at you and you see a bright dayglo orange band at the end of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OK, so he's bringing his gun around to point it at you and you see a bright dayglo orange band at the end of the barrel. Now what?
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks grn - why not a difficult question?

Right now I really am thinking hard on that one - heck!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    ok, thinkings over now
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Trying to provide insight about a fake gun here! In our town a guy standing on the sidewalk with a gun(maybe fake) resulted in the boys in blue sending their shooting squad to greet him, about 4 fine officrs who could draw and shoot very well. They approached the guy and a few blam's later he is dead clutching a fake gun!
    Trying to walk a fine line here and not to offend anyone but there is a seqment of our society that will kill you even if they took your car or your money. Its just part of their makeup to kill people. I cannot carry right now(no ccw) but when faced with a bad situation nervious guy with gun out and partner beating on the clerk you bet there is going to be shooting from my end. I won't stand there and be killed as the bg departs.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Gardner - thinking has been more geared to the work I am on - just sneaking back in for a minute or two.

I have a feeling that if this was a sudden presentation, as against slow and at long range - training could well cut in - per a response to a lethal threat. Not sure if the color would satisfy the effects of a pointed gun (toy or otherwise).

That said - it seems unlikely a BG would go to the trouble of painting his piece just to ''look'' like a fake.

Not a happy situation at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If I was of a mindset to be a BG I might paint a day-glo orange ring around my barrel just to make somebody hesitate a fraction of a second. If there's any doubt in my mind I'm deciding it's a gun and reacting accordingly... his bad for being and idiot and bringing a toy to a gunfight.

Likewise for the gangbanger who makes threats and pulls up his shirt as if going for a gun... he will be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    OK, so he's bringing his gun around to point it at you and you see a bright dayglo orange band at the end of the barrel. Now what?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    My firearm is a last resort, but I am not gonna try to guess if the gun is fake or not. They got 1, mine comes out. Theirs points towrd me, I don't have much choice.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    Bad guys don't pull guns on people so their intended victims will think it is a toy and not comply with their wishes. They are not expecting to run into someone that has a permit that just might have a second thought about actually shooting back. Someone pulling something with an orange band on me would cause me to show them what the real thing looks like from the business end. I may not be quite so quick to pull the trigger since there are some might dumb people on the face of this earth that might try that, but I think the odds are mighty slim....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Once a BG decides to cross the line, whether or not his intent is to do harm or scare others, he makes an unconsouis decision to put his own life at risk. Meaning, if the BG pulls a weapon on you or someone else and you shoot him then the BG had a bad idea even if he did not mean to harm anyone. There are many stories in the press where the BG was just trying to scare someone and take what does not belong to them but then the situation escalated, things got out of hand, and someone innocent gets hurt or worse. On the other side, BG decides he is going to be a big man and try to get what he wants and someone says no, he/ she may walk away.

You never know how a situation will end up until it's over. If you are there and can de-escalate the situation then take the chance but before you jump into the s%#t, make sure there isn't a way around it first.

Just my rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Even though you won't have to worry much about criminal charges, our legal system being what it is, there will be the civil suits - even if it is from his long lost cousin's brouther's roomate's uncle's sister. And I will be paying a lot for a good defense lawyer.
    Depends a *lot* on your jurisdiction. Here we've got immunity in a good shoot scenario from the scumbag's family, heirs, or survivors.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    But if you can sacrifice 20 bucks to get out of the situation, it will cost you less in the long run.
    Placating criminals in the long run is never cheaper. You'll pay more in taxes, police coverage, etc. - the herd of criminals is deterred by armed civilians taking them seriously.

If robbing is work, they'll do something else.

Letting someone go who is willing to commit armed robbery may simply embolden them to do more heinous or stupid things - or expose them to a situation where they lose their cool.

If you have the wherewithal to solve the problem and/or disable the imminent threat, you have an obligation IMO to do so. You're not a policeman, but you are a concerned citizen.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Bad guys don't pull guns on people so their intended victims will think it is a toy and not comply with their wishes. They are not expecting to run into someone that has a permit that just might have a second thought about actually shooting back. Someone pulling something with an orange band on me would cause me to show them what the real thing looks like from the business end. I may not be quite so quick to pull the trigger since there are some might dumb people on the face of this earth that might try that, but I think the odds are mighty slim....
    I can agree with you 200% Bumper. I'll also show the BG what the REAL THING looks like. My mindset is, when I carry my weapon, that if I'm placed in that type of situation, where I'm forced to draw, it's either them or me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links