Ohio CHL holder on COPS tonight

This is a discussion on Ohio CHL holder on COPS tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The episode of COPS airing tonight had an Ohio CHL holder being arrested for improper transportation and "probably" aggravated menacing. He was involved in a ...

Thread: Ohio CHL holder on COPS tonight

The episode of COPS airing tonight had an Ohio CHL holder being arrested for improper transportation and "probably" aggravated menacing. He was involved in a multi party fight in a parking lot and drew his weapon when multiple guys tried to pull him out of his car. He told the officer he feared for his life. He also said he tried to "put one in the chamber". I didn't get whether he had a holster or why he got improper transportation. Cinci PD.

I'd really like to know how this pans out. I travel frequently in Ohio, always holstered, on my person(which is how the law reads). Give us up dates. Guess we should keep one in the tube. Wonder if this would have turned out differently if that was the case.
    Too much of a good thing is not enough... member of WVCDL and NRA

It's probably old, from when Ohio had those stupid laws.

This is from the COPS website. Not very informative though.

Officer Chuck Fink of the Cincinnati Police Department responds to a fight in progress in a parking lot. At the scene, officers have several men detained and have recovered a handgun. The first male explains that he was visiting the mother of his children to purchase milk for his sons when the woman’s current beau showed up and started a fight. His friend attempted to get him in the car to take him away, but several men jumped in and tried to pull him back out. The friend (who claims to have a CCW permit) pulled a gun. The current boyfriend tells Fink that the man is nothing but trouble.
    The Official COPS Website

It's interesting that it said he "claimed" to have a ccw (sic). I wonder if it turned up he didn't. He was charged with improper transportation.

If A couple of guy's try to pull me out of a car... Their lucky they didn't get shot!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    I know the some of the officers involved... no permit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If this clown does not have a permit, but yet states that he does, does he not know that they can check on that info? Criminals are so freaking stupid! I have yet to see one with a MENSA card in his back pocket!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    If this clown does not have a permit, but yet states that he does, does he not know that they can check on that info? Criminals are so freaking stupid! I have yet to see one with a MENSA card in his back pocket!
    A lot of dimwits think because they filled out a 4473 at the dealer, its "licensed".
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto your kidding right.
    Jack dog

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
    Sixto your kidding right.
    Nope. I've ran into it as an LEO and a lot working behind the gun counter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know the some of the officers involved... no permit.
    FWIIS -- Here in VA you have to have your CHP with you along with an government issued picture ID to be legal when CC. If you have a drivers licence they run the numbers and the fact you are a LEO, a C.O.P., have a CHP, etc comes back along with the wants & warrants, points, etc.

Depending on the circumstance, the LEO at the scene might cut you a break, but many would let the judge sort it out and you could easily kiss your CHP goodbye.

Thanks for the update on the "claimed." Half suspected that was the case.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

FOX ON DEMAND <- -

Full episode available.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Unless he changed his question when the cameras weren't running, the officer kept asking him if he had a CCW. Here in Ohio, we all have two things with us when we legally carry: our CCW (the weapon) and our CHL (our license). I doubt this knuckle head (the perp) was smart enough to understand the difference when asked however.

I saw the episode and it seemed nothing was really figured out about who was involved in what way with the whole argument and ensuing scuffle or fight.

Like I always say, if you need to draw your weapon, it's to shoot and there better be a spent shell casing on the ground. Otherwise the only thing you can say for yourself is you were "sorta" afraid for your life or "halfway" worried you'd have to shoot.

I absolutely will hold out until I feel it is the last possible time to act and then I will ACT and not play show and tell. That is illegal in IN. You either need to shoot or don't. There is never a case where you NEED to shoot and end up not shooting and live to tell about it. If you live without shooting then you obviously didn't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete10 View Post
    The episode of COPS airing tonight had an Ohio CHL holder being arrested for improper transportation and "probably" aggravated menacing. He was involved in a multi party fight in a parking lot and drew his weapon when multiple guys tried to pull him out of his car. He told the officer he feared for his life. He also said he tried to "put one in the chamber". I didn't get whether he had a holster or why he got improper transportation. Cinci PD.

Sponsored Links