U.S. Virgin Islands CCW Honored?

This is a discussion on U.S. Virgin Islands CCW Honored? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched through about 15 pages looking for info in the US Virgin Islands, but I can't spend all night looking for it, so forgive ...

I searched through about 15 pages looking for info in the US Virgin Islands, but I can't spend all night looking for it, so forgive me for asking if it has been covered before.

I JUST got back from Hawaii today, when the travel agency I used called and told me I won a trip to St. Thomas....

When I looked at the CCW reciprocity list, I found that my state, MISSOURI, recognizes every state, every U.S. territory, every country on the planet, every planet in the solar system and most of the solar systems contained in the Milky Way Galaxy, and is seeking to allow concealed carry with many outside of the galaxy.

The info I can find on St. Thomas recognizing MY Missouri permit kinda goes both ways. Anyone know for sure?

The NRA reciprocity list does not show Missouri is recognized by US Virgin Islands. However, the section 460 of the Virgin Islands code, found here:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/st...irgislands.pdf

Reads like they WILL accept my CCW. Anybody know for sure?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

I never looked into it before but a quick glance at handgunlaw.us shows the US Virgin Islands just might honor a MO permit as well as IN.

Interesting....

VIP Member
    LVLabs, you got the graphs backwards. IN & MO honor a Virgin Islands permit. USVI honors no other permit. According to handgunlaw.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

It's kinda vague.........it somewhat does read like it honors all permits,but on the same section talks about LEOs.
    I've always assumed VI had very strict NJ type laws on CC(only get a permit w/high up connections,won't honor other state permits). Maybe there's a VI resident on this board who can say for sure?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    The way I read Chapter 5 Para 460 is that as long as MO requires fingerprint check too obtain your CP then you are good to go.

I did not look it up, but check VI's Attorney General's website. That's normally the agency that oversees these sort of things.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

US Virgin Island Carry

You can not carry in the USVI. Though their law says they have reciprocity their law also states that the issuing state must have certain qualifications to obtain a permit etc etc and the USVI will publish no list of places that meet their requirements. If you try to bring a firearm into the county you will have problems.

Law Enforcement with the proper documentation can carry in the USVI. That is if they are a sworn officer they must carry ID and Badge. Retired must have Retired ID and FIrearm certification less than one year old.

The USVI is not gun friendly.

One other item. The cruise ship will not let you on board with a firearm. Even LEO's can not carry off duty on a cruise ship. Though they do have a federal law that says they can carry anywhere they still have to go by the rules for everyone else and since the cruise line says no firearms it is a private company and they can ban firearms even carried under LEOSA on their ship. They may ask the cruise line if they can carry and they may get written permission but once the cruise line signs such a paper then they are responsible for all the officer does. That gives them liability which is what runs many of the no gun rules.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Thanks for the info on VI not being gun friendly, Gary, that info helps...however, it will be a flight trip, not a cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    You can not carry in the USVI. Though their law says they have reciprocity their law also states that the issuing state must have certain qualifications to obtain a permit etc etc and the USVI will publish no list of places that meet their requirements. If you try to bring a firearm into the county you will have problems.

Law Enforcement with the proper documentation can carry in the USVI. That is if they are a sworn officer they must carry ID and Badge. Retired must have Retired ID and FIrearm certification less than one year old.

The USVI is not gun friendly.

One other item. The cruise ship will not let you on board with a firearm. Even LEO's can not carry off duty on a cruise ship. Though they do have a federal law that says they can carry anywhere they still have to go by the rules for everyone else and since the cruise line says no firearms it is a private company and they can ban firearms even carried under LEOSA on their ship. They may ask the cruise line if they can carry and they may get written permission but once the cruise line signs such a paper then they are responsible for all the officer does. That gives them liability which is what runs many of the no gun rules.
    Most cruise ships are don't allow carry because they are under foreign flags. Meaning, once you set foot on one of these ships and leave harbor, you are basically in a foreign country.
    "Campus "gun free zones" may make some people feel safer, but as recent events demonstrate, feeling safe is not the same as being safe."
    www.concealedcampus.org

Links