CCW in Famous Dave's BBQ? - Page 3

CCW in Famous Dave's BBQ?

This is a discussion on CCW in Famous Dave's BBQ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Famous Dave's (or any other restaraunt or bar) in Colorado is not off limits. The sign would have no legal weight if it was serious. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW in Famous Dave's BBQ?

Famous Dave's (or any other restaraunt or bar) in Colorado is not off limits. The sign would have no legal weight if it was serious. I don't think it's serious.

I've eaten at the one in Stapleton several times. Always had my Kimber.

Enjoy your BBQ. Famous Dave's is as good as it gets in Colorado for BBQ. (I miss K.C. Masterpiece in Kansas City)

I used to be a General Manager for Famous Dave's. They used the "concept language" for everything. For example, our "No Smoking" sign actually said, "Ain't nuthin' but the ribs smokin' in here!". No official or legal lingo, just that.

Many places already have laws about CCW where alcohol is sold for consumption. Bars and restaurants where booze is sold and consumed would already be covered. I'd worry about that more than a company policy, as that will get you in real trouble fast.

Bars are not off limits in Colorado. I think I saw the same bear with the same sign at a Bass Pro Shop in an area where you could take pictures with the bear. It was a total joke, because Bass Pro Shop doesn't have a no weapons policy.

I think the costco in Aurora, CO removed the sign. I have never seen a sign at Flat Irons, but is has been a while since I was at Flat Irons.

I'll try to stop by and grab a pic.

If this goofy sign was just one of many on the dining room wall, I wouldn't even question it. But it's the first thing that greets you when open the entrance door, before going through a second door to the hostess/waiting area.

But as I said before, if there aren't any tents next to the sign, I'll assume that I'm not 'in camp'.

Edit: List of some posted places in Colorado (as of last summer): RMGO's List

I typically eat in a Famous Daves in Chantilly, VA and enjoy the taste of their tasty lunch, their cool bartender, and the secuity of having either my 1911 or Glock 22 and have never been questioned or hassled about it.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I've eatten lunch at the location mentioned in the OP. I didn't see any signs or even remember noticing the cartoon sign. I think if they were serious, they would have a real sign and not a cartoon.

The Famous Dave's in Richmond (Midlothian) has several signs hanging up for decorative purposes, all with a hunting/fishing/camping theme. maybe the sign you saw is a part of the "decor", or ambiance...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    maybe the sign you saw is a part of the "decor", or ambiance...

That is my suspicion.

Even if its not, "no guns" signs carry no special legal weight in Colorado.

Worse case scenario is that the proprietor notices you're carrying and asks you to leave and if you refuse you can be sited for trespassing (of course he can do the same thing without a sign or because you're not wearing shoes or because he doesn't like "the cut of your jib"). Signs in Colorado are not worth the paper they're printed on.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Famous Dave's is as good as it gets in Colorado for BBQ. (I miss K.C. Masterpiece in Kansas City)
    Famous Dave's is decent "Kansas City" style BBQ ... another good place here in the springs for KC style is Slayton's (owned by the folk that own Sonterra Grill and Salsa Brava). But for the Love of GOD if you're in Kansas City get thee to an Arthur Bryants (the one on Brooklyn ... make sure you're packing) before you get all excited about KC Masterpiece!

As for BBQ here in the Springs, my fav place is Front Range down in OCC ... but its more of a Lousiana style.

Dagnabbit ... now I'm all hungry and its a couple hours til dinner time

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Even if its not, "no guns" signs carry no special legal weight in Colorado.

Worse case scenario is that the proprietor notices you're carrying and asks you to leave and if you refuse you can be sited for trespassing (of course he can do the same thing without a sign or because you're not wearing shoes or because he doesn't like "the cut of your jib"). Signs in Colorado are not worth the paper they're printed on.
    What is the precedent for a no firearms sign meaning nothing in CO?

"4. a person may not carry a concealed handgun where a private property owner, private tenant, private employer or private business entity disallow." Pulled from the El Paso app. Is not clear but one could read in sings would be an extension of the owner not allowing entry.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    What is the precedent for a no firearms sign meaning nothing in CO?
    The sign in and of itself carries no legal weight.

For example, in Kansas or Texas walking into a business that is posted with the appropriate signage is a crime in and of itself (in fact its a special crime that people carrying illegally will not have committed, since the crime is a violation of your CHL agreement)

If you look at the statutes (which are listed in the back of the Information Packet PDF on the Sheriff's site) you'll see no mention of signs and no prescribed guidelines for said signs (no mention of text size, required text, required graphics, etc).

Merely posting a sign is not enough (or at least there is no special power granted to said signs).

On a side note, I refuse to do business with bigots so I'll obey a business owner's sign and take my money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Famous Dave's (or any other restaraunt or bar) in Colorado is not off limits. The sign would have no legal weight if it was serious. I don't think it's serious.

I've eaten at the one in Stapleton several times. Always had my Kimber.

Enjoy your BBQ. Famous Dave's is as good as it gets in Colorado for BBQ. (I miss K.C. Masterpiece in Kansas City)
    There's one in Stapleton? I, how could I have missed it? My favorite BBQ is Hoke's (rhymes with Smokes) in Arvada on 88th off Wads.

MountainPacker? You're not related to Alfred Packer are you?

A Colo. joke there folks. Sorry, I hate it when I do that.
    Last edited by KenInColo; March 13th, 2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

My response:

Oh! Well, since it's a friggin cartoon, I didn't even notice it! I already know I'm more tha 42 inches tall and plenty big enough for this ride!

Sorry 'bout that!

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    MountainPacker? You're not related to Alfred Packer are you?

A Colo. joke there folks. Sorry, I hate it when I do that.

for those that don't know Alferd Packer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't ask, don't tell
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

That reference is in very poor taste.

OT: None of the Famous Dave's around KC/St. Joe are posted.

Joe

If you've a sick, twisted sense of humor (like me) check out "Cannibal: The Musical" by Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park fame, loosly based on Alferd Packer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links