What state to live in?

This is a discussion on What state to live in? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok,discuss with me,please.Sorry for overlooking or leaving something out.I have looked at the following states; Arizona; Shall issue state with 5 year permit and 2hour ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What state to live in?

AH [OP]

What state to live in?

Ok,discuss with me,please.Sorry for overlooking or leaving something out.I have looked at the following states;

Arizona;
    Shall issue state with 5 year permit and 2hour training.
    Open carry,No bar or Resturant carry,No college carry.
    Cost $65

Is it likely that Arizona campus carry will change soon?
    Do you have to ID your self to Police when stoped while driving?

Florida;
    Shall issue state with 5 year permit.
    No open carry,no bar carry but you can carry in resturants.
    No campus carry,cost $117

Is it likely that Florida campus carry will be allowed soon?
    Do you have to ID your self when stoped?

Utah;
    Shall issue state with 5 year permit.
    Open carry allowed,can carry in bars and Resturants.
    Campus carry allowed,cost $65

Must ID when stoped by police.
    Can carry on every campus?!

Other states I have thought off:
    Georiga and Texas

Shall issue state,no campus carry,open carry only in GA.

Anything I have left out or overlooked?

As far as I can read the only state that allows on campus carry and open carry along with resturants/bar carry is Utah?

Is it likely that Arizona,Florida,or Texas is about to allows on campus and resturants/bar carry within 2009?

Sorry if this turned out to be to long but my requirements are;
    Open carry; Yes,or about to be.
    Campus Carry; Yes,either concealed or open.
    Resturants & Bar Carry; Yes,either concealed or open.
    Mall & Car carry,open and concealed; Yes

Any input? I really appreciate your help.

2. Remove Ads

Extra bit about the FL permit: it's not limited to handguns. It will also cover you for concealed carry of knives (automatic, even), collapsible batons, Howitzers...

-JT

Are there no other considerations, other than what relates to being armed. Job, climate, relatives nearby? If it makes any difference the snow skiing in Utah is primo while northern Arizona is less so. If you are going to be a college student, I'm reading between the lines, I would go to Utah. Who knows if on campus carry will ever be approved anywhere else. I think on campus carry outside of Utah is going to be an uphill battle for a long time.

Unless you don't need to work for a living or have a portable, high-demand career, there are other factors to consider. Don't discount:

- Climate
    - Mentality
    - Unemployment
    - Crime rates
    - Housing costs

Etc., etc. etc.

The UK is RADICALLY different than any state you've referenced. We're so repressed that we give million dollar fines for (gasp) SHOWING A FEMALE BREAST ON TELEVISION!!! Make sure you can handle this before you make a permanent hop across the pond.

Oops...just realized you're coming from the UK.

Are you a UK, or US citizen?

In FL, there will be a number of hoops you'll have to jump through, and then live here a year before you can declare FL residency. Not sure how that will factor in if you're not a US citizen.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Oops...just realized you're coming from the UK.

Are you a UK, or US citizen?

In FL, there will be a number of hoops you'll have to jump through, and then live here a year before you can declare FL residency. Not sure how that will factor in if you're not a US citizen.

-JT
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***********
    I believe you may be confused on the residency issue. Perhaps you were thinking of college 'in state' tuition or something else?

The day a U.S. citizen moves to FL...gets a driver's license (or FL ID) with his/her new address...BINGO you're a resident...there is no year to wait.

Stay armed...enjoy Florida...stay safe!
    Last edited by JD; March 9th, 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Check out this thread too. There is a lot of the same issues discussed therein.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-between.html

Check out Pa, I think it meets your check list.

AH [OP]
    Am a US citizen,no close family left in the US,climate is so so..I can deal with snow from Utah and the great sunny state of Florida.

I lived in NY when I was a kid,we moved when I was around 5.Now I want to go back.

Sure living cost is a factor but I would not solely choose a state based on living costs alone,just like I am not going to choose a state solely based on firearms regulations..but add it all up and you will get a great combo..

I am going to work part time aside with my studys and going to pick a state with good colleges.Not sure what I want to work with but everything from armed security,a part time police position or something within fiance.

I think it would be nice to be able to carry while on school.I want to be able to get up in the morning,strap up,go by the breakfast store,then Starbucks,go to school and have class.And drop by Walmart to get dinner on my way home,all while being able to protect my selfe and my future wife.

So,while weather is nice its not what is going to tip one state in front of the other,unless it allows open carry to the above mentioned places.

Oh,and thanks for the thread,will have look at it in the morning.
    Last edited by AH; March 9th, 2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added a nice thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofgore View Post
    Check out Pa, I think it meets your check list.
    Off limits for primary and secondary schools in PA. Does that mean campus carry is ok? Don't mean to hijack. Just curious

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I am of the opinion that many states will not allow concealed carry on college campuses any time soon. They tend to blame the guns & not the nutcase when shootings occur.

In Texas, you do have to show your CHL when stopped by the police. As a side note, it has gotten me out of a few tickets. The off limits for bars is places getting 51% or more of their income from on premises alcohol sales (bars). They are supposed to have a big red "51%" sign. You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Here's a good reference site.
    Handgunlaw.us

Of the states you mentioned, I pick Florida or Texas. Both also have no state income tax.

Texas is great for friendly people, good gun laws, no income tax, property values are reasonable, and no civil liability if you are forced to legally defend yourself...But I don't see us passing carry on school any time soon. We cannot carry on the premises, which means we can do everything but put our foot inside a door, or go watch a sporting event. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

If one of your main criteria is carry on campus, I think you'll have to go with Utah.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Texas is great...and no civil liability if you are forced to legally defend yourself.
    Good thinking, I forgot to mention that one.

I'd also make part of your criteria (if it were me moving) that the future state of residence has a Castle Doctrine in effect.

I n Florida you don't have to announce to police your carrying or hold a permit but look at the aggravation if you don't . Consider their safety and yours . Plus in my experience when I tell them when they approach the car it gets me out of the ticket 99% of the time .

AH [OP]
    And wich state have Castle Doctrine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links