Illegal carry

This is a discussion on Illegal carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have often discussed the various places that are illegal by state law to carry weapons. The 51% law, the VA tuck rule, the no ...

Thread: Illegal carry

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Illegal carry

We have often discussed the various places that are illegal by state law to carry weapons. The 51% law, the VA tuck rule, the no carry in any establishment that serves alcohol, the no carry in a bar portion of a restaurant are all examples of various state prohibitions.

My question is whether anyone has references to court cases of violating those laws, newspaper reports, or anecdotal stories of arrests or incidents pertaining to restaurant/bar carry.

On a similar note, anything on Federal buildings, courthouses, hospitals (where illegal) either?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I don't think these would make it to court cases..at least not ones that would be documented for anyone to care about. The federal one might get you arrested, but a night or two in jail and a suspension of your CHL wouldn't make the news.

I'm not sure what the actual offense is though that goes on your record. Hopefully not a felony (keeping you from having a CHL again).

JP
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...Report2005.pdf

Try this link. It's from 2005 but it has the conviction rates for CHL people in Texas.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

In Mississippi you would lose your permit, and as stated most permit holders obey the law more then anyone else because of this fear! More then likely you would be ticketed, and lose your permit resulting in this! I don't know about everywhere else,but our jails are so full you almost have to commit a felony to get taken in!! There was a case a few weeks ago that they took a guy in and 3 stations later, 1 county over found enough room to book him! Houston we have a problem!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    In Virginia I haven't heard of anybody being charged. However, the last Attorney General (Kilgore) wrote an opinion that was to the effect saying that: 'yes it is illegal to carry concealed in any venue that serves booze, but there is NO penalty spelled out for this violation'......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Every time I read something about this no carry near booze law, it makes me glad there is nothing like it in Indiana. If you can drive a car (under the limit) after going to the bars, you should be able to carry. It’s dumb that one must give up your weapon to enter an establishment, just because of something they sell.

I’m not saying go out get drunk and carry a gun, but I don’t see a problem having a beer with the guys or catching a band at the local bar. Anyways it seem like you are more prone to encounter “rough” people at a bar anyways and along as your responsible of what you do or how much you drink, you should still be able to protect yourself.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

michigan has a list of offences and such on www.msp.gov.
    shows number of diffrent crimes committed and other cpl
    related categoies in all the counties of the state.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I think about this a lot.

I'll be very curious to see documentation on court cases, etc. if they are available.
    Last edited by Resurgam; March 11th, 2008 at 01:10 AM.

1943 - 2009

The OP asked:

My question is whether anyone has references to court cases of violating those laws, newspaper reports, or anecdotal stories of arrests or incidents pertaining to restaurant/bar carry.
    On a similar note, anything on Federal buildings, courthouses, hospitals (where illegal) either?
    Please confine your replies to answering the above questions.

Thanks.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

A 2006 advisory from Florida Department of Law Enforcement to all active officers.

*Arresting solely because a person does not appear to be legitimately authorized in that area to carry a concealed firearms exemption may be a risky call. Unless the person clearly does not qualify (e.g. is obviously intoxicated by reason of alcoholic beverages)

It goes on about HR 218, but it also applies to CCL.

In virtually every case similar to what you have mentioned, that I have read about, it was "Charges pending" and never heard anything else or "Prosecutor refuses to bring", and in the few cases that they actually did after a lot of money was made by the lawyers they were acquitted, still not my idea of a fun time.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links