South Carolina license check?

This is a discussion on South Carolina license check? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does your CWP pop up in SC if an LEO runs your license? I am aware of the law about informing them if you are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina license check?

Does your CWP pop up in SC if an LEO runs your license? I am aware of the law about informing them if you are carrying. I am just curious if it is in their database?

From what I've been told, yes, they will know. I wouldn't even hesitate to tell them because if you don't tell, and the law says you should, you may have some explaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by eslack32 View Post
    Does your CWP pop up in SC if an LEO runs your license? I am aware of the law about informing them if you are carrying. I am just curious if it is in their database?
    No it does not. Nothing ties your DL to your CWP. This is a fact.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    No it does not. Nothing ties your DL to your CWP. This is a fact.
    All I know is the same picture that is on my DL is also on my CWP. I don't know if there is any tie in but they use the same database. I put down a different weight on my CWP than my DL but it shows up the same on both, even down to the signature.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    From what I've been told, yes, they will know.
    Sorry ESLACK32,
    I was told from a "very reliable source" that they would know. I'm starting to realize that there are some very unreliable sources who think they know a lot more than they do. Then the newcomers like me ask questions and you think you got "the correct" answer then find out you can't trust them.
    I had an earlier post where I was told that I could drive across state lines and purchase a handgun from a private owner. That was from a FFL shop. Go figure! I should have learned my lesson then.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Sorry ESLACK32,
    I was told from a "very reliable source" that they would know. I'm starting to realize that there are some very unreliable sources who think they know a lot more than they do. Then the newcomers like me ask questions and you think you got "the correct" answer then find out you can't trust them.
    I had an earlier post where I was told that I could drive across state lines and purchase a handgun from a private owner. That was from a FFL shop. Go figure! I should have learned my lesson then.
    That is OK. That is why I am asking this question. Not that I have anything to hide, I'm just curious if it will show up if I'm pulled over. I was hoping maybe there is a cop on here that knows for sure.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eslack32 View Post
    That is OK. That is why I am asking this question. Not that I have anything to hide, I'm just curious if it will show up if I'm pulled over. I was hoping maybe there is a cop on here that knows for sure.
    As you may have noticed, you have received conflicting information in this thread, so I strongly suggest that you contact the state agency in South Carolina that issues concealed weapons permits and get your answer directly from the official source.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I was involved in a minor MVA the other day and gave the officer my driver's license, insurance, and registration but not my CWP permit(since I was not carrying). Not one word was said about my CWP or if I had a gun on me. Because of this, I am suspicious that CWP is not tied in with my driver's license.

I don't really know. But I have a couple observations...

It looks like to me that SLED either uses DMV to print and prepare them or has the very same equipment to make them.

Does it really matter as long as you do what your supposed to do? If you are not carrying and so don't present your CWP and he asks for it then you can simply give it to him then. If he was to know and ask why you didn't give it to him at first you can simply say "I'm not carrying Occifer!".

Oh... and mine has my exact same drivers license picture on it too. Not the one I mailed in with the application. So they are tied in together at least for that.

you might check the permitt number against your dl permitt nr. if they are the same they both will come up on a check by the pd. if you are pulled over you might show the LEO both cards so he knows he is dealing with a upstanding citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
    you might check the permitt number against your dl permitt nr. if they are the same they both will come up on a check by the pd. if you are pulled over you might show the LEO both cards so he knows he is dealing with a upstanding citizen.
    The numbers are not the same.

This may be a little off subject. I have waited for 2 months to receive my South Carolina permit in the mail and was told during my CCW training it could take up to 90 days. So, if it does not arrive by this time next month, then I will be really concerned. There is nothing in my past to prevent me from being given the permit. Does it always take this long?

Quote Originally Posted by paulbb View Post
    This may be a little off subject. I have waited for 2 months to receive my South Carolina permit in the mail and was told during my CCW training it could take up to 90 days. So, if it does not arrive by this time next month, then I will be really concerned. There is nothing in my past to prevent me from being given the permit. Does it always take this long?
    it was 72 days for mine. the average for a new permit in SC is about 70 to 90 days

Mine was like 73 days from date I mailed it... typically its closer to 90 than 60.

I was told by everyone to expect the full 90 days. It took exactly 60 days for my SC permit from mailbox to mailbox. The fastest I have ever heard for a SC one is 56 days.

The NH website says that if you haven't received it in 2 weeks to call and check on it. Mine to 56 days there, two weeks after the processed the payment. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links