DIA Denver posted?

This is a discussion on DIA Denver posted? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to pick up my wife today at DIA. Going into the building I say sign saying no loaded weapons. I thought we could ...

Thread: DIA Denver posted?

DIA Denver posted?

I had to pick up my wife today at DIA. Going into the building I say sign saying no loaded weapons. I thought we could carry out side of the sterile area. I have done so in the past. Has there been any changes lately? I looked on handgunlaw but could not find any new info.
    Anyone in CO have an answer?

Semper Fi

2. Remove Ads

I've seen this discussed a few times before. I stopped and carefully read the sign on the door not long ago. As I recall, it uses the word "authorized". So the question comes down to whether a CHL-holder is sufficiently "authorized" to carry in the non-secure areas of the airport.

My guess is that your opinion and mine will probably differ from the cop who is told "That guy over there has a gun!!" If you're going to carry there, be careful.

Edit to add: Previous Denver airport discussion.

Thanks Desk Jocky. The sign looked new and official. Just to be on the safe side till I could check it out I put it in the truck. Guess I didn't pick up on the "authorized" part.

Semper Fi

It is not off-limits. However, when I spoke with airport police about this several years ago, they said they would detain you while checking the verasity of your permit with the intention of causing you a multi-hour delay.

So concealed means concealed. I wouldn't wonder around lurking and scaring the sheep. It is definitely not off limits, but the DPD have there ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    It is not off-limits. However, when I spoke with airport police about this several years ago, they said they would detain you while checking the verasity of your permit with the intention of causing you a multi-hour delay.
    Thatís kind of what I figured when I saw those signs at our area airports. So if youíre just picking up someone, as they say concealed is concealed. Do a good job at it and you wonít have any problem. But to be on the safe side, ya might want to leave it in the truck.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    In Florida it's a no no to carry anywhere inside an airport not just the sterile area.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    In Florida it's a no no to carry anywhere inside an airport not just the sterile area.

AFS
    (12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Since most people are picked up at the luggage area, I still don’t’ see a problem.

The law says terminal and sterile area. I don’t see where the luggage area is listed.

But, I leave mine in the truck.. Don’t want to get charged with "Ping off the Police".
    Last edited by tns0038; March 11th, 2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I was at the Colorado Springs airport last night and noticed there signs at the entrance. It says "No Open Carry of guns, knives, or other weapons". So anyone going to the Springs airport, your good as long as your concealed and don't try going past the security check point.

I've carried many times at the Colorado Springs airport when picking other people up ... just stay clear of the secure area and you're fine.

Links