Permit Apps increase 50% statewide in 2007

This is a discussion on Permit Apps increase 50% statewide in 2007 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Top story on the Colorado Springs Gazette website today: Applications for concealed-weapon permits up 87% in El Paso County Applications for concealed-weapon permits up 87% ...

Thread: Permit Apps increase 50% statewide in 2007

Permit Apps increase 50% statewide in 2007

Top story on the Colorado Springs Gazette website today:
    Applications for concealed-weapon permits up 87% in El Paso County

Applications for concealed-weapon permits up 87% in El Paso County
    By ED SEALOVER
    March 10, 2008 - 7:28PM
    THE GAZETTE

DENVER - Applications for concealed-carry weapon permits in El Paso County rose 87 percent in 2007, fueled partly by several highprofile violent incidents locally and nationwide, said Sheriff Terry Maketa.

Permit applications rose 50 percent statewide and more than doubled in 18 of Colorado's 64 counties, according to a report issued Monday by County Sheriffs of Colorado.

Executive Director Don Christensen downplayed violence as a reason permit applications were up, noting the 2003 law mandating statewide concealed-carry permitting required that anyone who had a local permit before the law went into effect had to renew it by June 2007.

But Maketa said that of the 2,101 permits issued in El Paso County in 2007, roughly 75 percent were from new applications rather than renewals. El Paso County issued the highest number of concealed-weapon permits of any county in the state in 2007, but it is also the most populated, according to the 2006 Census.

Maketa said the greatest spikes in applications over the past year have come right after well-publicized incidents of violence.

After the February 2007 mall shooting in Utah, applications rose from 81 in February to 191 in March. Then, after the April rampage in which a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech, applications went up from 174 in April to the year's monthly high, 210 applications, in May.

The trend continued after the December shooting of two sisters at New Life Church. Applications rose from 123 in December to 171 in January to 294 in February, according to figures from the Sheriff's Office.

The spike in the number of murders in Colorado Springs and a spate of legislative bills that cut into gun rights last year also factored into the equation, Maketa said.

He said he is not concerned about the growing number of legally armed people in the county. In fact, he said he believes law-abiding citizens make the region safer by getting the permits.

"Actually, I wish it was a higher number, because I know from experience that offenders in the jail system tell me they avoid crimes against people because they know there is a very high concealed-carry rate," Maketa said.

About 8,400 El Paso County residents now have active concealed-carry permits. The jurisdiction with the second-highest number of permits, Jefferson County, issued 1,139 in 2007 - 54 percent of El Paso's total.

Rep. Amy Stephens, a Monument Republican and House Judiciary Committee member, argued even more strongly than Maketa that people have been running to get permits because they believe their 2nd Amendment rights are being compromised while crime is going up.

She cited last year's SB34, which curtailed Coloradans' ability to use a concealed-carry permit issued by another state, and the news from earlier this year that the state parole board has increased the number of criminals it has let out of jail in recent months.

"I think people are saying, ‘Hey, if you're going to let criminals out and not protect us, we're going to have to protect ourselves,'" Stephens said.

Sen. John Morse, a Colorado Springs Democrat and author of SB34, said that though he does not think concealed weapons add to anyone's safety, he is not alarmed at the rise in permits. Because the state keeps a database of permit holders and can revoke a permit quickly if the person commits a crime, the general public is not at risk, the former Fountain police chief said.

El Paso also led the state in the number of permits denied (44) and revoked (49) last year. Thirty-four of the 49 revocations occurred because the permit holder was arrested, but Maketa said he does not believe any of those arrests were connected to the improper use of a weapon.

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Sheriff Maketa said,
    ""Actually, I wish it was a higher number, because I know from experience that offenders in the jail system tell me they avoid crimes against people because they know there is a very high concealed-carry rate."

Rep. Amy Stephens, a Monument Republican and House Judiciary Committee member said, "I think people are saying, ‘Hey, if you're going to let criminals out and not protect us, we're going to have to protect ourselves'" .

I like these 'shepards' !
    Now there's some common sense from a couple of places I wouldn't expect right off-hand.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sheriff Maketa is first-rate, especially on 2A issues. As was his predecessor.

Metro: El Paso County led state change on permits for concealed guns, permit, anderson, concealed - www.gazette.com

"Actually, I wish it was a higher number, because I know from experience that offenders in the jail system tell me they avoid crimes against people because they know there is a very high concealed-carry rate," (Sheriff) Maketa said.

And it's the same everywhere, so what's so hard to understand? It's so obvious what the antis want is not 'safer streets' but more control, power, and finally a fundamental change to the Constitution.

For the record, the Virginia Tech episode was what sent me out there to finally get my LTCF, and at the courthouse door the guard straight out asked, "Looking for the Sheriff's Office?" (Yup.) "Applying for a firearm license?" (Yeah, how did you know?) I bet there were a lot of folks coming in for that during those couple weeks.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 11th, 2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Wow, your permit cost's varies by county? For some reason I thought the fees were pretty much standard statewide.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

As soon as I can get into a class, Ill be on that list as well. Every place I have called has been booked up for weeks.

I'm happy to see this. I know I advocate everyone I know get their CCW.

As for wait time for classes -- "weeks" is typical... Don't let that discourage you. Sign up and do it, you'll be waiting a month or more for your permit anyway. I went with Profire in Denver -- Bob Pabst taught the course, and it was done very well. But that was in Denver, not the Springs.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Sheriff Maketa is a great spokesman for 2A, and is really an effective speaker, having seen several TV interviews of him. Very polished and professional, and wow, do I like his position!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I grew up in Colorado Springs and I'm glad to hear so many are seeing the light. Jeanne Assam did a lot more people then just those at the Church a favor when she defended the congregation.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

here in michigan,i"ve been watching mcrgos list of cpl holders as it
    seems like it grows from 40-80 people every couple of days.
    good to see that more and more people are changeing from
    sheep to sheepdogs.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Let's hear it for Sheriff Maketa...
    We need more LEO leaders like him...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Amazing how a couple of high profile incidents can change people's views regarding how safe they are.....

thats why I am such a big fan of human nature.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

The editorial in today's paper asks law-abiding citizens to get trained, get licensed, and carry concealed - granting the sheriff's wish!

I love this town!!

Link to editorial

Our View - Wednesday
    March 11, 2008 - 11:22PM
    Hidden guns
    Sheriff wants more concealed carry

El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa wants more guns - not for his deputies, but for citizens. "Offenders in the jail system tell me they avoid crimes against people because they know there is a very high concealed-carry rate," Maketa told The Gazette.

But it's not high enough, and Maketa said he wishes more citizens would train to carry concealed and apply for permits. El Paso County has the highest number of concealed carry permits in the state, at 8,400 - a statistic that makes public safety advocates proud. But El Paso County also has a higher population than any other county in the state.

For every 1,000 people living in El Paso County, about 14 have permits to carry concealed weapons. The number is low enough that in small crowds - in places like movie theaters and average-sized churches - it's possible nobody has a lawfully concealed weapon with which to provide protection in the event of an attack. Although El Paso County has the highest overall number of permits, at least one county has us beat by a country mile in the number of permits issued per resident.

The winner in permits per capita - the statistic that matters most - is Hinsdale County. The permits issued in 2007 alone equaled nearly 54 permits per 1,000 residents. Outstanding, Hinsdale. It's obvious why so many residents in Hinsdale County assume responsibility for the safety of themselves and others. It's the most remote county in Colorado, and one of the most isolated regions of the United States. The Discovery Channel revealed Hinsdale County as one of the few places in the country with almost no roads.

People in Hinsdale County have no delusional expectations that police will race to the scene and save them from animal or criminal attacks. The false sense of security provided by 911 isn't in play out there.

Unfortunately, the urban residents of El Paso County have little more third-party protection than the folks in Hinsdale County have. They just think they do. On a good day, police can arrive on the scene of a crime in eight minutes - about seven minutes and 55 seconds too late to save lives from a rampage killer.

If you're a responsible, law-abiding citizen, give Sheriff Maketa his wish. Get trained, get licensed, and carry concealed. Make El Paso County a criminal's least-favorite place.

Links