Physical Fitness and American Pride

This is a discussion on Physical Fitness and American Pride within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that most of us would agree that the whole reason for CCW is for self defense; just look at the title of this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Physical Fitness and American Pride

Physical Fitness and American Pride

I think that most of us would agree that the whole reason for CCW is for self defense; just look at the title of this website. I also think that we would all agree that deploying your weapon should be the final and last resort for defending yours or your loved ones life. A final resort means that you have done everything else possible to avoid deploying your firearm.

In my opinion, doing everything possible means preparing for such an undesirable event months - years in advance. Physical Fitness - Are you too out of shape to run away or fight off the attacker? Some people are out of shape due to health reasons. Others are out of shape due to laziness. It would be a shame to have to shoot somebody simply because due to being lazy, you were too fat to run. Keep in mind, I'm not saying that a 70 YO man or woman should be able to knock out 40 push ups..

In my opinion, you should do your part as a responsible CCW and get in shape physically - to the best of your ability. As a guideline, you could use a military branch of your choice PT as a guide. At your age in the Army, you should be able to complete xx sit ups in 2 mins, xx push ups in 2 mins and run 2 miles in xx mins. Obviously, this won't work for everybody - there is no one size fits all. Take some self defense courses too. Just as importantly, eat a good diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables and lean protein.

Now for American Pride - Simply put, "Buy American". Or at least as American as possible these days. Lots of American manufactures make many fine and dependable weapons. It's America that gives you the right to defend yourselves with a firearm. I hope that the Military will go American with their sidearm contract.

...you can even get American made ammo at Walmart!

Disclaimer - I can exceed the Army PT standard for my age and every weapon that I own is American. I even fly the flag from the front of my house 24/7.

I was pretty disappointed when I purchased a new flag at the Home Depot to replace my fading one and found a "made in china" sticker on it.

God Bless,

dvick
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

2. Remove Ads

Well said, and I agree totally! How many of us are overweight, out of breath, or otherwise suffering maladies that can be prevented by keeping our bodies in shape? How many of us will unnecessarily die prematurely due to abuse of our bodies? Suffer in our elder years for want of a healthier lifestyle when younger?

Several here have engaged in self-improvement and have lost significant weight and generally improved their lives considerably. There was never a shortage of well-wishers and cheerleaders here as progress was made.

Let me see if I got this right. You say that when some gutter punk sticks a knife in your face and says give it up, you pull a Chuck Norris on him and walk away whistling zipity do dah. LOL
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 11th, 2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Deleted the OP's quoted post - unnecessary.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

And lets be honest. Mcdonalds is far more likely to kill us than an armed attacker, statistically speaking. I'm guilty myself.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    Let me see if I got this right. You say that when some gutter punk sticks a knife in your face and says give it up, you pull a Chuck Norris on him and walk away whistling zipity do dah. LOL
    What dvickery is saying (correct me if I am wrong), is that using a firearm is a last resort. Work on your physical conditioning so you have a strong initial defense. If worse comes to worse, use the firearm. Don't use the firearm simply because you're too out of shape to stop a child from throwing a punch at you.

I know what you're saying dvickery. I've started to work out again, picked up my jujitsu again, and it feels great too! Nice to know that I have alternatives before using the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    What dvickery is saying (correct me if I am wrong), is that using a firearm is a last resort. Work on your physical conditioning so you have a strong initial defense. If worse comes to worse, use the firearm. Don't use the firearm simply because you're too out of shape to stop a child from throwing a punch at you.

I know what you're saying dvickery. I've started to work out again, picked up my jujitsu again, and it feels great too! Nice to know that I have alternatives before using the firearm.
    Yes, thank you! ...and good for you!

www.myspace.com/dvickery

Obesity is not necessarily caused by laziness.

Not all obese people are in poor physical condition.

Rambo/The Terminator/Conan the Barbarian body types are not natural shapes for humans.

Not everyone can work 60 minutes or more a day of personal time into their schedules and still keep the bills paid.

Pregnant women are physiologically disadvantaged by the growing fetus (reduced lung capacity, heart is displaced and working harder to accomodate the rapid growth of the pregnancy and thus total exercise capacity is reduced, and what about joint laxity and it's attendant decrease in muscular coordination).

Wasn't it Colt who said that he made every man equal?

By not looking like a "soft target" may save you from having to even defend yourself on the first place.
    Feeling like you "know you look strong" exudes and air of confidence that makes you look strronger than you may really be.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

This scenario is very situation dependent. Facing someone with a knife, distance is the key factor. If as you say, the BG is "in your face" i.e., contact distance, you aren't likely to be able to get your weapon out anyway. That being said, deadly force should always be the last resort. The "Nike Defense" is the best defense. It is far better to let someone think they got the better of you because you ran away than to have to use your weapon and take their life. Far too many people think that their CCW does double duty as a pair of tights and a cape.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

The sights are always aligned, you are out of alignment

If the speed of your run is a determining factor of avoiding a situation than the situation probably warrants an armed response...it's too late to "run" away. What you are suggesting is that a fast runner could avoid more situations...I don't see this in the real world.

By following your line of thought we should all:
    Take tactical knife fighting/defense courses, martial arts, conflict resolution courses, criminal psychology classes, hostage negotiation classes, be able to pass military PT standards, and run really fast.

I've taken this to the extreme, but you get what I'm saying.

Taking pride in your health and appearance is great. There is no obligation for anyone to do that though. Some fat guy shouldn't feel bad about using his gun in self defense against a BG...you won't catch him saying "if I'd only eaten less and exercised I would have been able to avoid this situation and not been forced to use my gun in self defense".

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    Some people can run away from a knife, others may be too fat to. Then there are those few who wish for a knife in the face so they can shoot somebody.

Also in a physical altercation, being physically fit with some self defense knowledge will better accommodate your ability to deploy your firearm.

I thought this stuff fell under common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    Obesity is not necessarily caused by laziness.

Not all obese people are in poor physical condition.

Rambo/The Terminator/Conan the Barbarian body types are not natural shapes for humans.

Not everyone can work 60 minutes or more a day of personal time into their schedules and still keep the bills paid.

Pregnant women are physiologically disadvantaged by the growing fetus (reduced lung capacity, heart is displaced and working harder to accomodate the rapid growth of the pregnancy and thus total exercise capacity is reduced, and what about joint laxity and it's attendant decrease in muscular coordination).

Wasn't it Colt who said that he made every man equal?
    please see where i said "to the best of their ability".

www.myspace.com/dvickery

Quote Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
    Some people can run away from a knife, others may be too fat to. Then there are those few who wish for a knife in the face so they can shoot somebody.
    Question, in all seriousness:
    If you decide to run away from the guy with the knife should you look back to make sure he's not gaining on you and is about to stab you in the back? If so, how often? I'm not sure I can run fast and avoid things while my head is on a swivel watching a BG chasing me to try and stab me...but maybe that's just me.

I would suggest if someone pulls a knife and threatens your life, you end the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Question, in all seriousness:
    If you decide to run away from the guy with the knife should you look back to make sure he's not gaining on you and is about to stab you in the back? If so, how often? I'm not sure I can run fast and avoid things while my head is on a swivel watching a BG chasing me to try and stab me...but maybe that's just me.

I would suggest if someone pulls a knife and threatens your life, you end the threat.
    If it's that serious, draw your weapon while running. Looking back once should tell you if they are intent on pursuing you.

Running away "Might Just" end the threat without having to kill somebody.

www.myspace.com/dvickery

Quote Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
    Running away "Might Just" end the threat without having to kill somebody.
    I wouldn't attempt to run and draw. If BG is right on your heels you don't have the time to stop and make a safe shot. And don't shoot 180 degrees from the direction you are running, not safe(besides you can't even clearly see directly behind you, it's at the far end of your peripheral vision with your head turned as far as it will go).

If BG pulls a knife you pull your gun, period. Your life has been threatened, take action and get the upper hand immediately. Don't run and take bullets in the back.

If your conscience is bothering you that much about having to kill somebody that just pulled a knife on you, which tells you they don't have a problem killing you, than perhaps you shouldn't be carrying. Sounds like you would have the problem pulling the trigger in a life threatening situation, if so than having a gun serves no purpose than to just escalated the situation if you aren't willing to use said gun.

This is coming from someone who would never want to use a gun in self defense. But turning your back(at any speed) on a BG who has just threatened your life with a deadly weapon isn't a good idea.

Notice where I stipulated that your course of action is situation dependent. I'm not saying you should always run away, I'm just saying that it is not always the right decision to shoot. Regardless of your action, you must be prepared to articulate it in a court of law. Drew and fired on a BG with a knife at 20 feet, threatening and advancing? Almost certainly justified. (I say almost because if it goes that far, your life is in the hand of 12 people not smart enough to get out of jury duty, and you never know what they are going to do). Drew and fired on a BG with a knife at 50 feet? Depending on how well you can articulate your response, you may be justified, you may be asking friends for soap on a rope for Christmas.

To be clear-in my opinion, a knife presents deadly force, and justifies a response accordingly. I am only saying that your actions are always situation dependent, and there is more than 1 factor to consider.

Now, to be fair, the OP did not mention a knife. It was brought up in a later post. What if the BG has a beer bottle? What if he is threatening you empty handed? These are 2 entirely different scenarios that will require entirely different solutions.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

The sights are always aligned, you are out of alignment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links