The legal term of Concealed Carry?

The legal term of Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on The legal term of Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I decide to go for Utah,concealed carry is not a problem,consider the weather.But how about Florida? I usually wear a business suit.And heres comes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The legal term of Concealed Carry?

AH [OP]

Wink The legal term of Concealed Carry?

If I decide to go for Utah,concealed carry is not a problem,consider the weather.But how about Florida?

I usually wear a business suit.And heres comes my problem.After reading posts in here,I would not feel comfy with IWB so how concealed will a full size 1911 be?I know is based on carry method and body type,but in average.How easy-or difficult would it be to be able to see a Kimber 1911 under a suit jacket?

And how about a T-shirt tucked down in a shorts,with a open full size shirt over aa cover?

I guess my question comes down to,if someone sees the sketch or outline of "something" on your back-then what?!

As long as I wear my shirt or jacket no one can actually s e e my weapon,is it still concealed carry?

Alan.
    Last edited by AH; March 11th, 2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Layout-how did that smiley face get in the headlines?!

I think so. I don't concern myslef with a little bit of printing, as it could be ANYTHING. Phone, back-brace, leatherman....if it is not immediately recognizable as a gun, I think most people will not even give it a second glance.

To the sheep, it doesn't seem to register to even LOOK for guns, and to those of who are carrying and looking....we're not gonna say anything except...

Pssst, hey bud....your glock is showing, just thought I'd let ya know...hang loose....

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    you really think anybody is looking?

Sheep are unaware.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I was able to adequately conceal a full-size 1911 with a cheap OWB holster, jeans, and an untucked t-shirt. Body types differ, so your mileage my vary, but I think it isn't too hard to conceal a full-size 1911.

-JT

You limit yourself with NOT going IWB. I can conceal my 1911 OWB with a long jacket but a suit coat may not work. A 4" 1911 will work better. If you must do OWB then a strong belt is an absolute must. Suit pants have no body to them and ALL of the weight will be on the belt. Look into Beltman and a good quality holster. Be prepared to wait for a good one. Different holsters work with different gun / people combinations. What works for me wwon't necessisarily work for you. I prefer IWB for the ease of covering and the fact that it keeps the gun very close to the body.
    -Biker

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Consider a SmartCarry Gun holsters concealed by SmartCarry concealed holsters. I carry a 4.5" barrel M&P 45 with a business suit.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

In a business suit my Glock 17 conceals fine in an OWB - IWB would be more concealed in comparison. Cover shirt over a T - maybe OK with OWB, but again IWB more concealment in comparison.

Summary - IWB s/b fine. My .02

BTW - I do OWB with cover in unposted places where guns tend to make folks nervous.......I've never had anyone notice that I know of.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

as others have said, printing could be printing anything

I once had to use the paddle holster for my XD -- that thing sticks out almost half an inch from my body before it touches the gun. wore a short sleeve collared denim shirt with tails, put it at 5 o'clock to get more coverage. nobody seemed to notice.

I know a retired marine who carries a full-size 1911 canted OWB at 3 o'clock. He lets his shirt be a little bigger than it needs to be and leaves the tail out. I've never seen him print.

Remember this is FL, most of the people who may notice are also carrying, and glad to have you around.

This time of year, remember to button something up front, or the wind un-conceal your weapon.

Don't know but would guess most BGs don't seem to bother with holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by AH View Post
    If I decide to go for Utah,concealed carry is not a problem,consider the weather.But how about Florida?

I usually wear a business suit.And heres comes my problem.After reading posts in here,I would not feel comfy with IWB so how concealed will a full size 1911 be?I know is based on carry method and body type,but in average.How easy-or difficult would it be to be able to see a Kimber 1911 under a suit jacket?

And how about a T-shirt tucked down in a shorts,with a open full size shirt over aa cover?

I guess my question comes down to,if someone sees the sketch or outline of "something" on your back-then what?!

As long as I wear my shirt or jacket no one can actually s e e my weapon,is it still concealed carry?

Alan.

Just playing devil's advocate, how do you know you wouldn't feel comfy carrying IWB? I used to carry only OWB now it's more about 50% OWB to 50% IWB. IWB conceals a lot better. I carry a Glock 21. As someone's signature says, quoting Clint Smith, "Carrying is not meant to be comfortable, its meant to be comforting" IIRC the quote. IMHO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I have grown very accustomed to IWB for my 1911. It hugs the body, does little or no printing...with a suit coat you'd be covered very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I think a Smart Carry holster should be in everyone's top hoslter drawer. I prefer IWB, because with some of the great holsters available, it's very comfortable, concealable, and accessible. The good holsters allow one to tuck the shirt, T, or polo over the butt, hindering access somewhat, but making the weapon virtually dissappear. Please look at the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe, Comp-Tac's MTAC, and Tucker's Answer holsters for the most comfortable IWB designs IMHO.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

AH [OP]
    Hehe,I don't think I would feel comfy since the keyword of the IWB is inside and it hug's your body. From picures and movies is seems like a strange way to carry and draw your weapon.Bigger pants size and having a Glock without-or anything with a safety inside of your pants,so close to your body....well a good Galco holster seem to fit me better..

But by all mean,I am sure IWB conceal a gun better.

The key to comfortable IWB carry is not only a good holster, but a good BELT. Of course, being smart and wearing effective cover garments always helps. I'm sure some goof has tried to conceal IWB with a tucked Underarmor t-shirt before.

-JT

Being raised in Florida, and going to work for the Sheriffs department part-time when I was under 20 years old, and at the time, the only pistol I had was a Colt combat commander 45, I can understand your dilemma.

And for the most part when attending classes at college, I left the Colt in my car, because no one outside of my department could know I was a deputy. And there was just no way to carry a full size pistol at school warring shots, and a T-shirt, and not expect someone to notice, or bumping into me during class changes and feeling it.

I never did ware a larger size pants. My system when going out at night, I installed a spring clip that held the Colt inside my jeans, at the small of my back, and simply wore my shirt un-tucked.

On one of your post regarding Glockís

I totally agree with you. I would never ever even think about carrying a Glock without a holster. While I am sure some will disagree with me, a holster is a Glockís primary safety. And I carry my G26 all the time in my coat pocket in a Nemesis holster.

When I worked for the Feds back in the 90ís I carried a Glock 19 in a pancake style holster. Warring a sport coat, no one ever noticed.

Today, Iím simi-retired, and when the weather heats up, as it is today, I revert to a Nemesis pocket holster for my Kel-Tec P3AT. 380.

As others have said, I wouldn't worry about printing. Printing is going to happen. Unless you're wearing an oversized parka. And if you're doing that in FL, they'll be sending you to the loony bin, anyway.

What you need to watch out for is exposing the weapon, where it leaves no doubt that you're trying to conceal a gun.

While back, as I was pulling onto a side road, I saw a guy in an SUV at a light removing a cover garment, clearly exposing his gun in a shoulder holster to anyone looking in his direction. Clear as day, no doubt at all that he was carrying. Unless he was a LEO, I can't see that as anything but irresponsible behavior by a permit holder.

Since I didn't see or hear any stories about a 'man with a gun in a car' that week, I'm guessing the guy got lucky and I'm the only one who saw anything

-JT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links