Off hand carry

This is a discussion on Off hand carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In all the training I have had and everything I have seen on TV they talk about the importance of practicing with your off hand, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off hand carry

Off hand carry

In all the training I have had and everything I have seen on TV they talk about the importance of practicing with your off hand, both shooting, reloading, and fixing malfunctions incase you are injured during a fight. The emphasis has always been put on in the heat of battle staying in the fight and staying alive. I am all for staying alive; it is always a great option. But, what if you are injured elsewhere? I recently broke a few knuckles on my right (carry hand) I could not close my hand or even make a fist. It would have been extremely painful to even hold a pistol let alone fire one.

It was at that point I learned a very valuable lesson, while I have practiced with my off-hand all my carry options is based on the right hand. What was I supposed to do? My temporary answer was to use the sling they gave me, at first I was not going to use it, I did not want to seem like a wimp or make a mountain out of mole hill. But I had not options left to me; I used the sling with a small revolver in the bend of arm. Since then I have picked up at least one cheap left handed holster and take it with me every time I go to the range and practice.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

2. Remove Ads

+1

I have off-hand gear for my BUG, and I've ordered an off-hand holster for my primary carry for some training I have coming up. Obviously in the circumstances you experienced, having the off-hand gear and some practice with it is important.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Sling carry...that's actually a pretty good idea that I wouldn't have thought of. You don't have to worry about being 'made' because everyone is going to be extra careful not to touch your injured arm.

It's a valid point. I practice shooting weak hand and drawing from my strong side with the weak hand (not a pretty sight), but other than pocket carry with my BUG, I don't have any options to carry on the weak side with my edc.

I may have to think about that......

I carry my BUG off hand most of the time, I also shoot with both hands whenever I practice. I started doing this after my wife decided to show me up with her off hand shooting, I can't let her beat me at that.

i practice with weak hand just the same as strong hand for the
    just in case. practice,practice,practice because you never
    know what thefuture holds. (better safe and prepared than sorry).
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    When I was a LEO I learned to carry my BUG off hand.

It is a very good idea to practice with you off hand as well as being at first a humbling experience!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I had a problem similar to yours.

I always practice shooting 1-hand left and 1-hand right. I have several left-hand holsters for 2 different pistols, but only 1 right-hand for BUG usage. I recently got tendonitis in my left wrist. It's painful to use for anything and I must rest the hand completely for several weeks. I had to switch to carrying right handed in my single right-hand holster.

Luckily, I had a right-hand holster; I think I will add some more right-hand options just in case...

I went throught the very same thing last year when I broke my right arm quite seriously. I've always practiced shooting with my left hand, but it was all the other related tasks that through me. For example, I found that I was unable to rack the slide on any of my semi-autos, because the strain would make my arm hurt too much and I was very clumsy at it. Thus, I wasn't comfortable carrying a semi, because I couldn't operate the entire manual of arms.

My solution was to acquire a Colt Detective Detective Special, speedloader and left-side IWB holster. I could easily perform all the revolver functions, since they didn't require the physical effort that the semis did. I put in a lot of one-handed practice, and got my revolver skills up to speed.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

90% of the time I carry two guns. The backup is always for the Off-hand and I practice with in that hand mostly.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    One-armed, semiauto handgun manipulations can be found in the April 2008 issue of S.W.AT. I do practice weak-hand drawing (from my strong-side holster) and firing. Mine's a bit unusual in that I draw by reaching behind me instead of on front, since my holster is positioned around 4-5 o'clock and can't be reached from the front with my left rm.

(Ignore the alien-looking target, my husband sprayed it. )
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

off hand is very important to practice. I have a good friend of mine who shoots the local defensive pistol matches with me. He had his right arm crushed in a work accident and would never shoot strong hand again! He practiced practiced practiced. He now carrys only off hand with a full size 1911 and shoots the matches and WINS!!! He is the definition of defensive carry. so never give up.
    "F.S.S."

Senior Moderator
    When I was a LEO I learned to carry my BUG off hand.
    amen to that. Your other hand is likey to be tied up...possibly on your primary gun.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I practice drawing off-hand from my strong-side IWB in case my right hand/arm is useless. With some practice, I've become proficient in reaching BEHIND me with my left hand to access the pistol.

Edit to apologize to Betty...I responded from the first page and hadn't seen her explanation. At least there are two of us doing it!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I practice drawing off-hand from my strong-side IWB in case my right hand/arm is useless. With some practice, I've become proficient in reaching BEHIND me with my left hand to access the pistol.

Edit to apologize to Betty...I responded from the first page and hadn't seen her explanation. At least there are two of us doing it!
    Ditto, I am sure more people who carry at 330-500 have realized its easier to reach behind, than in front, key word easier, cause it certainly is not easy, (for some of the members who may appear to be bearing a child it becomes much easier tp go behind)

In no way does that statement imply I may resemble an 8 month pregneant woman, Im still in the 5 month range of pregnancy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links