I wonder -

This is a discussion on I wonder - within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If we had had to shoot to save ourselves, and had managed successfully to neutralize the BG - would we then have any thoughts for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wonder -

Assistant Administrator

I wonder -

If we had had to shoot to save ourselves, and had managed successfully to neutralize the BG - would we then have any thoughts for administering 1st aid, plugging holes, tourniquets - CPR even?

I can think of numerous BG categories where we would probably feel -''let the ****** rot", but maybe too some more borderline cases - might we yield to the wish many of us have within, to save a life, even if here it was one that had nearly taken ours.

Again - I wonder ............ something to chew over.

To add - this based maybe on the(my anyways) wish to not kill (for killing's sake) but simply to neutralize threat - which is of course very likely to be fatal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Proboly not, If I have to shoot the BG he was endangering my life or the life of my loved ones, there for let the SOB bleed.

We had this thread a long, long time ago.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ghlight=Aid+BG

I'll say it again. If he was still alive but not moving I'd not do anything more to him, but I wouldn't touch him either. God will save him if he's meant to live through that. Even if I wanted to, I'm not an EMT.

I'm still the same insensitive ******* from the previous thread. :)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Administrator

Me Personally

I'll run for the mop & bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I'm still the same insensitive ******* from the previous thread. :)
    That's why I like rfurtkamp. He never changes, and he's so touchy feely sensitive and guaranteed to never offend.

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry folks - I had not checked back far enough to find old thread. It was just something that crossed my (aging) mind!
    Chris - P95

I'd tell the SOB to plug the holes in his chest (hopefully) like The Dutch Boy and The Dyke or he's gon' fuggin' die.

Try to harm me or mine, don't think I am going to lift finger one to help you.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I will call 911 for them... does that count?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If I could safely try to save him I'd want to, BUT you have to consider AIDES!!!

touch that blood and you're putting yourself at great risk. I know they say casual contact w/blood won't do it, but notice the precautions medical professionals take. That says it all right there!

Assuming that the reason you pulled the trigger in the first place was to stop an attack that caused you to fear for your life, it makes no sense to subsequently expose yourself to renewed violence - the assailant may still have lethal intentions and abilities. Call 911, ask for EMT's and Police, and stay out of range of the attacker.

My $0.02.

SSKC

VIP Member
    MN statutes require you to render aid to the shooting victim if you are the shooter unless by so doing you can articulate that it would pose grave danger to you. I'm sure a call to 911 would CYA. Now where did I put that cell phone...
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I've actually done it; administered first aid to someone who, minutes before, was trying to kill me. In that case it's because you have a potentially valuable prisoner for interrogation. On the battlefield it comes down to whether rendering aid will interfere with a higher-priority task... that holds true for administering aid to your buddies as well, you only do it if there are no higher priority tasks which need doing, and yes there are sometimes higher priorities on the battlefield even than rendering aid to a fellow US Soldier. You must be objective.

Likewise in a civilian setting you must be objective. I fall back on my previous post: you can't WANT to kill them, and you can't NOT want to kill them... you can't want them to die, you can't not want them to die. You must evaluate the situation objectively, you must always set aside passion in emergencies or when exercising deadly force. Not only does it help prevent mistakes, but if you can pull it off it actually makes you a more effective warrior.

After the shooting's over, these are tanksoldier's priorities, they may vary based on the specific situation:
    1. Secure scene/ deadly weapons/ BG (even if you think he's dead)
    2. Triage (check self, dependants and bystanders for injury).
    3. Report to 911 based on triage and results of shooting
    4. Render aid based on triage of GG/ bystanders.
    5. Render aid to BG if it is safe to do so.

These are my priorities based on my experience as a combat Soldier and a volunteer firefighter/ EMT (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... but some things stick with you). YMMV.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    tank - pretty good advice methinks.

For most part I would not involve myself, for mostly all the obvious reasons - but I am perhaps aware of a case category where a stupid young person has tried to be the world's greatest stick-up artist and failed miserably, possibly too not even having threatened with a genuine piece.

Then I might feel I had to assist - but heck - it would be a very specific decision for a very specific set of circumstances.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yeah, I'd help. I would stay very,very,basic. If while laying there in the middle of the road,he was just about to be run over by a truck,I'd pull him to the side. If he fell on the very edge of a cliff,and was starting to roll off,I would jam a rock under the downhill side of him. You have to understand. I would be very,very,upset and remorseful that the BG forced me to have to shoot him and now by his own choice I am going through all the psycological and phyisological trauma that he imposed on me ! Get the picture? Nothing heroic for me. I'm not a doc,nurse,FNP,paramedic,etc. My formal medical training was almost 40 years ago. SORRY BG.----P.S. Hope my cell phone works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links