Traveling from PA to ME

Traveling from PA to ME

This is a discussion on Traveling from PA to ME within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My parents, wife, kids and I are taking a trip to Maine in late July early August. I'm applying for my Maine non-resident before I ...

Thread: Traveling from PA to ME

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Traveling from PA to ME

My parents, wife, kids and I are taking a trip to Maine in late July early August. I'm applying for my Maine non-resident before I leave. Mapquest takes me thru deep anti-gun territory before I'm back to a gun friendly state. NJ, NY, CT, MA and NH.

This is what I understand as I travel up to Maine

In NJ I must disarm, and lock my gun in the trunk. Hollow points are a no go in NJ.
    NY must stay disarmed still ok as long as I have the firearm basically disassembled in the trunk.
    CT still must stay disarmed, but otherwise shouldn't be a problem state if stopped.
    MA says as long as it's unloaded and in the trunk I should be good. I've also heard as in NJ no hollow point rounds in MA.
    In NH I can re-arm.

Anything I am missing here? Should I go without ammo the way up and buy ammo when I get there?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    My parents, wife, kids and I are taking a trip to Maine in late July early August. I'm applying for my Maine non-resident before I leave. Mapquest takes me thru deep anti-gun territory before I'm back to a gun friendly state. NJ, NY, CT, MA and NH.

This is what I understand as I travel up to Maine

In NJ I must disarm, and lock my gun in the trunk. Hollow points are a no go in NJ.
    NY must stay disarmed still ok as long as I have the firearm basically disassembled in the trunk.
    CT still must stay disarmed, but otherwise shouldn't be a problem state if stopped.
    MA says as long as it's unloaded I should be good. I've also heard as in NJ no hollow point rounds in MA.
    In NH I can re-arm.

Anything I am missing here? Should I go without ammo the way up and buy ammo when I get there?
    Changes I would make 1) only re-arm in NH assuming you have a valid NH state pistol permit 2) hollow points should be fine...there are sections of NJ law that specifically allow them for sporting / target shooting purposes 3) Apply for the ME permit early since my last couple have taken a few months to get. 4)Everything else looks good 5)don't speed and/or talk on the cell while driving in the anti states 6) I'm a Mainer (and I've lived in NH, MA and NY) so drop me a line if you have any questions about where to go, what to do, what to see.

PS where in ME are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Changes I would make 1) only re-arm in NH assuming you have a valid NH state pistol permit 2) hollow points hould be fine...there are sections of NJ law that specifically allow them for sporting / target shooting purposes 3) Apply for the ME permit early since my last couple have taken a few months to get. 4)Everything else looks good 5)don't speed and/or talk on the cell while driving in the anti states 6) I'm a Mainer (and I've lived in NH, MA and NY) so drop me a line if you have any questions about where to go, what to do, what to see.
    NH honors PA permits. We have family in Bangor. We're staying in Bar Harbor. My folks have a cabin up there.

I live in MA...

...and have had my LTC here for 40 years. My two daughters now live out of state; one in CT & one in up-state NY. From reading above, it appears that I should not be carrying when I visit either! Is this correct?
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Get a nonresident CT permit. It shouldn't be expensive and provided you have a permit already from another state, turn around time should be fast enough for you to have it in hand before you travel through CT.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Get a nonresident CT permit. It shouldn't be expensive and provided you have a permit already from another state, turn around time should be fast enough for you to have it in hand before you travel through CT.
    Is it really worth it tho? I mean I'll spend that money, just to drive thru for an hour. I've been to CT, but only to drive thru it. Never to stay....I take that back, I did stop at a diner for breakfast once. I go up to Maine a lot, so if I'm going to get any non-res permit it'll be in ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    ...and have had my LTC here for 40 years. My two daughters now live out of state; one in CT & one in up-state NY. From reading above, it appears that I should not be carrying when I visit either! Is this correct?

Is it true that it's not that difficult to get a MA non-resident provided you have a permit from another state?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    MA has NO restrictions on ammo, just follow FOPA . . . locked and unloaded in trunk, ammo kept separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    Not sure exactly what you are asking, but if you are asking if you can carry in NY with a MA permit the answer is no...actually if you are even in possession (excluding FOPA) of a handgun in NY (and found out) you will be arrested. I'm currently in NY (on a temporary basis) but can't wait to get out of here and back to ME.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Is it true that it's not that difficult to get a MA non-resident provided you have a permit from another state?
    Not difficult for a NR . . . typically easier than for a resident.

However, it is expensive and time consuming and thus not worth it unless you spend considerable time here.

- Cost is $100 for ONE YEAR!

- It can take anywhere from 30 to 120 days to issue, depending on work-load and worker count at any given time. [Top level bureaucrats at least once diverted employees from that department to other uses intentionally to delay permit renewals to an excruciating level.]

- You need to take a course to get your first NR LTC. I've been given contrary info from various people wrt the acceptability of an NRA Certificate vs. only accepting a MA State Police Certified Trainer Certificate. Figure the cost for this to run ~$100 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Not sure exactly what you are asking, but if you are asking if you can carry in NY with a MA permit the answer is no...actually if you are even in possession (excluding FOPA) of a handgun in NY (and found out) you will be arrested. I'm currently in NY (on a temporary basis) but can't wait to get out of here and back to ME.
    CT is the same story wrt handguns as I recall.

cant add much but welcome to maine we are 20 minutes out of bangor. it is a quite gun friendly state for the most part.

I've moved from FL to NH and made the I-95 drive more than once. I've been told that a handgun in NYC is a mandatory one year sentence. Long live legislature huh? We need a new Charles Bronson.
    NJ-hollow points are illegal except for a few specifications. I would recommend keeping the gun in the trunk until you hit NH. Be real careful with MA as well. I'm not familiar with CT.

Sponsored Links