Help Needed in SC - Urgent!!

This is a discussion on Help Needed in SC - Urgent!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; H. 3212 NEEDS YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP! 12 March 2008 If you want to be able to lawfully carry a concealed weapon in 30+ states, contact ...

H. 3212 NEEDS YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP!
    12 March 2008

If you want to be able to lawfully carry a concealed weapon in 30+
    states, contact each Senator from your county NOW and let them know you want H, 3212 to pass without amendments! This bill could be debated in the Senate as early as tomorrow morning at 11:00am, or it might get delayed until next week. Either way, you need to start calling and emailing the senators from your county ASAP!

H. 3212 is the CWP Recognition bill sponsored by Rep. Mike Pitts. In
    June 2007, H. 3212 was put on the Contested Calendar when Sen. Ralph Anderson placed a Minority Report on the bill as it passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

On Wednesday, March 6, 2008, GrassRoots leaders met with Sen. Larry Martin, Chairman of the Senate Rules Committee to seek his help in getting H. 3212 onto the Special Order calendar. Sen. Martin promised GrassRoots leaders he would help.

Today, thanks to Sen. Martin's efforts, H. 3212 was put onto the
    Special Order calendar. This means H. 3212 could come up for debate as early as tomorrow morning.

Contact every State Senator who represents your county NOW and tell them you want H. 3212 to pass the Senate immediately, without ANY amendments!

If you do not make these calls - and make them NOW - H. 3212 could die or be amended to make it totally worthless.

Action Steps:

1) *** CALL 803-212-6200 and ask to speak with your Senators. *** Tell them to support H.3212 with no amendments. Be sure to tell them "GrassRoots GunRights speaks for me!"

2) *** EMAIL all Senators representing your county.

3) Forward this email to your friends immediately and ask them to do
    the same!

Once you have completed the three "Action Steps" above, sit back and congratulate yourself. You have done your part to fight for the gun rights of all South Carolinians! Please accept my personal thanks for your activism, and a job well done!

Bill Rentiers
    Exec Dir, GrassRoots Gunrights SC

Now's the time to get off your butts do something besides complain! We CAN make this happen - but only if EVERYBODY does their part.

Howard
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

I just got my GrassRoots notice about this and am onboard
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Sent an email to both of our states senators, and a relative who is one

Are you sure it's HR 3212

I don't see anything to do with national recognition of conceal carry license

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 3212
    To provide certain personnel management requirements for the Transportation Security Administration, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

July 27, 2007
    Mrs. LOWEY introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Homeland Security, and in addition to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
    To provide certain personnel management requirements for the Transportation Security Administration, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT.

(a) Elimination of Certain Personnel Management Authorities- Effective 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act--

(1) section 111(d) of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (49 U.S.C. 44935 note) is repealed and any authority of the Secretary of Homeland Security derived from such section 111(d) shall terminate;

(2) any personnel management system, to the extent established or modified pursuant to such section 111(d) (including by the Secretary through the exercise of any authority derived from such section 111(d)) shall terminate; and

(3) the Secretary shall ensure that all TSA employees are subject to the same personnel management system as described in subsection (e)(1) or (e)(2).

(b) Establishment of Certain Uniformity Requirements-

(1) SYSTEM UNDER SUBSECTION (e)(1)- The Secretary shall, with respect to any personnel management system described in subsection (e)(1), take any measures which may be necessary to provide for the uniform treatment of all TSA employees under such system.

(2) SYSTEM UNDER SUBSECTION (e)(1)- Section 9701(b) of title 5, United States Code, is amended--

(A) by striking `and' at the end of paragraph (4);

(B) by striking the period at the end of paragraph (5) and inserting `; and'; and

(C) by adding at the end the following new paragraph:

`(6) provide for the uniform treatment of all TSA employees (as defined in section 408(d) of the Implementing the 9/11 Commission Recommendations Act of 2007).'.

(3) EFFECTIVE DATE-

(A) PROVISIONS RELATING TO A SYSTEM UNDER SUBSECTION (e)(1)- Any measures necessary to carry out paragraph (1) shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

(B) PROVISIONS RELATING TO A SYSTEM UNDER SUBSECTION (e)(2)- Any measures necessary to carry out the amendments made by paragraph (2) shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act or, if later, the commencement date of the system involved.

(c) Report to Congress-

(1) REPORT REQUIRED- Not later than 6 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Government Accountability Office shall submit to the Committee on Homeland Security of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs of the Senate a report on--

(A) the pay system that applies with respect to TSA employees as of the date of the enactment of this Act; and

(B) any changes to such system which would be made under any regulations which have been prescribed under chapter 97 of title 5, United States Code.

(2) MATTERS FOR INCLUSION- The report required under paragraph (1) shall include--

(A) a brief description of each pay system described in paragraphs (1)(A) and (1)(B), respectively;

(B) a comparison of the relative advantages and disadvantages of each of those pay systems; and

(C) such other matters as the Government Accountability Office considers appropriate.

(d) TSA Employee Defined- In this section, the term `TSA employee' means an individual who holds--

(1) any position which was transferred (or the incumbent of which was transferred) from the Transportation Security Administration of the Department of Transportation to the Department of Homeland Security by section 403 of the Homeland Security Act of 2002 (6 U.S.C. 203); or

(2) any other position within the Department of Homeland Security the duties and responsibilities of which include carrying out one or more of the functions that were transferred from the Transportation Security Administration of the Department of Transportation to the Secretary by such section.

(e) Personnel Management System Described- A personnel management system described in this subsection is--

(1) any personnel management system, to the extent that it applies with respect to any TSA employees by virtue of section 114(n) of title 49, United States Code; and

(2) any human resources management system, established under chapter 97 of title 5, United States Code.

tns0038,

This is a state of SC bill, NOT a national one!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Thumbs up

Letters sent!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Here is a link to the NRA legal website. NRA-ILA :: LegislationThey have been lobying hard for reciprocity with other states. SC is currently quite restrictive which is frustrating for me a Florida resident when I travel to SC for bus. and family.

Wouldn't it be great if all states recognized each other's CCW??? Sure would make travel easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    tns0038,

This is a state of SC bill, NOT a national one!
    oops...

oh well, Florida Senators are going to think I'm nuts.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I hope this passes. My dad's moving from NC to SC, so it would be nice for my Florida permit to be recognized there, too!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

SECTION 1. Section 23-31-215(N) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 347 of 2006, is further amended to read:

"(N) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a state and federal criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity."
    This bill was amended and read for the second time yesterday with the bolded portion added. I do not know what effect this will have and have heard some rumors but on the surface it appears that the previous requirement of equal or better standards has been eliminated which was the holdup with states such as VA and FL.

I think this will still leave GA out as I don't think GA requires any kind of training. States such as VT and AK will also be left out.

The one item that did cause some concern was the part about abiding by SC laws. The previous bill did nto state anything about that othere than SC would honor all permits which some interpreted to mean such things as under 21 carry and open carry.

If it does get 3rd reading and passes the Senate it will have to go back to the house before going to the Governor.

Maybe some of you legal experts can shed some more light on this.

VIP Member
    I hope it passes. As a resident of Virginia I hate the thought that when I head down to South Carolina I can not carry.

No... I think the abiding by the state your in laws is a normal thing. Almost all states restrict out of staters to that even though they recognize the permit.

The requiring training does leave Georgia out I am afraid. Besides the fact that they don't recognize ours at this point either. But it does pick up Florida and some others.

New Hampshire Non Resident

$20.00 and 10 days later you have a NH non resident permit which is honored by Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    $20.00 and 10 days later you have a NH non resident permit which is honored by Georgia.
    Actually it took 56 days for my NH permit. Their website said call if you haven't received it in three weeks and I did. The lady said they were half staffed at the time but I wasn't really in a hurry.

An ammended version did pass the Senate yesterday and has been sent back to the House. The passed version will still leave out GA due to the training requirement but should add FL and VA.

"(N) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity."

Links