Going to New orleans

This is a discussion on Going to New orleans within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody from Louisiana care to give me a heads up on there Carry laws. I read there stuff off of state website. Curious about Resteraunt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to New orleans

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Going to New orleans

Anybody from Louisiana care to give me a heads up on there Carry laws. I read there stuff off of state website. Curious about Resteraunt carry that serve alcohol. I don t drink but may eat some place that does serve. Any thing else you may could impart that may keep me safe and out of harm would be greatly appreiciated . Also I am going to new Orleans. Places to go or places to avoid. Thanks.

Tim

2. Remove Ads

is there ANYPLACE in New Orleans that DOESN'T serve?

B52
    If anybody ask you, "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes at," tell them yeh there on my feet. This is a common line used by the local scumbags right before they harass or mug you.....I am from N.O. so I have experienced this alot. I tell the perps my shoes are on my feet and if you know what's good for you please back off. I love my 45ACP....Chocolate city oh-yah!!!

b52 is correct, they tried to use that line on me when i was there as well....probably 25 times.

i finally started saying, "yeah, well, if you're so damn psychic, why are you out here hustling me?"

Based on my CCW class, Louisiana forbids carry in a bar or the bar portion of resturant that is covered by a Class A General liquor license. You can not enter the bar area at all while carrying, even just to reach the bathroom. Stay in the resturant area and you should be fine. And, of course, don't drink anything alcoholic. IF your blood alcohol level reaches .05 or if there is any detectable level of a controlled dangerous substance in your system, your carry permit is null and void.

Maintain high situational awareness while in New Orleans, day and night, both in the city proper and the suburbs. In touristy areas, such as the French Quarter, stick to well-lit, populated streets. Resturant or hotel valet parking as close to your destination as possible is recommended. Keep car doors locked at all times. These are the basic guidelines my wife and I follow when we are out and about.

New Orleans is still a great place to visit, but it is also a poor, big city with all the problems that any poor, big city has. Hurricane Katrina didn't help matters any. Just be careful, think about what your doing while you're doing it, and plan ahead.
    Last edited by HarleyDriver; March 14th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.

Go to NOLA.com for more on to see and do
    SASS LIFE
    LEAA
    BOLD#252
    NRA LIFE
    RO I & II

If patrons can either smoke or have to pay a cover.....no sidearm.

That's the basic rule of thumb.

I was just down New Orleans way for Mardi Gras and I looked up the carry laws twice before going down there. Check out my previous thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...questions.html
    The "smoking/cover charge" rule was a general thing....no carry in bars, but establishments with "bars" in them are OK....just don't be in the bar and do not be drinking.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDriver View Post

IF your blood alcohol level reaches .05 or if there is any detectable level of a controlled dangerous substance in your system, your carry permit is null and void.
    Really? That's interesting. So with a BAC of .05, you could be charged with carrying a concealed weapon even though you have a valid permit to do so and didn't do anything else inappropriate with it?

I am heading to NO in April for three days of meetings. I will be staying in the Hilton. Do you know of any problems carrying there???
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

No bars. Resturants with bars are ok as long as you stay out of the bar area.
    If kids aren't allowed in a certain area, your weapon is probably not either.

You must inform LEO in La.
    Your car is an extension of your home in La. So it doesn't matter how or where you carry in you vehicle.

If you have time, check out the national D-Day museum.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Stay out of New Orleans, get a chartered fishing trip out of Venice or anywhere along the coast and really enjoy your stay in La.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Really? That's interesting. So with a BAC of .05, you could be charged with carrying a concealed weapon even though you have a valid permit to do so and didn't do anything else inappropriate with it?
    Yep.

3. A permittee is prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun on his person while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or a controlled dangerous substance as defined in R.S. 40:961 and R.S. 40:964. For purposes of these rules, a permittee shall be considered under the influence as evidenced by a blood alcohol reading of .05 grams percent or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood, or when a blood test or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a controlled dangerous substance as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 40:964. When a law enforcement officer is made aware that a permittee is carrying a concealed handgun and the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the permittee is under the influence of either alcoholic beverages or a controlled dangerous substance as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 40:964, the law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the handgun and require the permittee to submit to a department certified chemical test. The law enforcement agency by which such officer is employed shall designate which of the aforesaid tests shall be administered. Failure of the permittee to comply with the provisions of this Section, shall result in a six-month automatic suspension of the concealed handgun permit.

Great food, and pretty good CCL too, I second stay out of NO, at least side streets.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    I am heading to NO in April for three days of meetings. I will be staying in the Hilton. Do you know of any problems carrying there???
    The Hilton downtown by the Riverwalk? I stayed there during Mardi Gras. Pretty close to the French Quarter and the Garden District. No carry in the hotel bar. Be mindful......NOPD aint the most receptive to anyone packing, but chances are your not/won't generate a second glance. Lots of food and sight seeing......and shopping......and food

Have fun and be safe.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    The Hilton downtown by the Riverwalk? I stayed there during Mardi Gras. Pretty close to the French Quarter and the Garden District. No carry in the hotel bar. Be mindful......NOPD aint the most receptive to anyone packing, but chances are your not/won't generate a second glance. Lots of food and sight seeing......and shopping......and food

Have fun and be safe.
    Unfortunately no...the Airport Hilton, right across from the airport. I am flying, and while I have never had a problem flying with a gun, I might do what a buddy does, send it ahead via FedEx to the hotel and have it held there for me.

Thanks for all the info!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links