Way to go Oklahoma!

This is a discussion on Way to go Oklahoma! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oklahoma may allow college students to carry guns - CNN.com OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (AP) -- People with specialized firearms training, such as military personnel, would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Way to go Oklahoma!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar

Way to go Oklahoma!

Oklahoma may allow college students to carry guns - CNN.com

OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (AP) -- People with specialized firearms training, such as military personnel, would be allowed to carry concealed weapons on Oklahoma's college campuses, under a bill that passed the state's House Thursday.

The measure was approved 65-36, despite opponents who said it made no sense following shootings at schools across the country.

It now heads to the state Senate for a vote.

Introduced by Rep. Jason Murphey, R-Guthrie, the law would authorize active-duty military and National Guard and reserve personnel, honorably discharged veterans and others with firearms training certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education who hold a state concealed weapons license to carry guns on college and university campuses.

The legislation is more narrow than Murphey's original proposal, which would have allowed anyone at least 21 years old with concealed handgun carrying rights to carry weapons on campus. That version was similar to a Utah law.

"This has to be the craziest thing I have ever seen," said Rep. Ray McCarter, D-Marlow, one of several lawmakers who said the measure is opposed by college administrators.

Supporters argued that the measure would make college campuses safer by putting guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Rep. Colby Schwartz, R-Yukon, said someone with a concealed weapon might be the only person in a classroom who can protect himself and others from an attacking gunman.

"When seconds matter the police are just minutes away," said Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs.

House members also approved a measure that lowers the age to 18 from 21 of active-duty military, National Guard and reserve personnel as well as veterans who can be licensed to carry a concealed weapon.

Murphey said his bill was a "commonsense step" to expand Oklahoma's concealed weapons law to combat campus violence.

"The concealed carry law is about 12 years old. It's worked out very well," Murphey said. He said more than 60,000 Oklahomans are licensed to carry concealed weapons, and there has been no widespread gun violence in the state, which opponents had warned of.

Murphey's bill would require people authorized to carry a concealed handgun to provide written notice to the university or college president before bringing a gun on campus. It would not limit a university's ability to restrict concealed weapons from access-controlled areas where people are subject to security checks.
    Wow. How progressive.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I just wrote my state senator and urged him to support this bill!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Way to go Oklahoma! Keep 'em comin !

Its happening all over the country. Even here in AZ we have our measure to allow carry in public and private schools. I love that people are waking up to the fact that Gun-Free Zones = Killing Fields. We should all rally behind any pro-rights measure like this and overwhelm as much as we can the "streets will run red with blood" crowd.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Does 'specialized firearms training' include people with CCW permits/licenses?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Does 'specialized firearms training' include people with CCW permits/licenses?
    You'll have to read the law. Some states don't require any additional training for CCW permits if you are/have been trained to shoot in the military.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The big question for me is whether or not it excludes those who have had specialized firearms training who have not been in the military or law enforcement. I'm sure the number would be extremely small, but still...

What if I went out and took one or more multi-day handgun courses and decided to go back to school to get another degree. Would that qualify me as having "specialized training"?

Of course I am of the opinion that any permit holder should be able to carry wherever they go, but to limit it to only military &/or law enforcement training doesn't seem right to me. Again, I'm sure its a small number, but I'd be willing to bet we could find plenty of folks who were never in the military who have had better training than the average military person has had.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    House members also approved a measure that lowers the age to 18 from 21 of active-duty military, National Guard and reserve personnel as well as veterans who can be licensed to carry a concealed weapon.
    This is something from the article they slipped in there that I wanted to make sure it doesn't get lost in the rest of the discussion. This should be nationwide. If you are willing to put your own life in harm's way to protect this country, you should have all of the rights and priveleges of adults. You are no longer a child.

Smile

"When seconds matter the police are just minutes away," said Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs.

I think this quote sums it up why this bill should be passed at every State and Private University in the Nation.

I will be emailing my State and Federal Senator and Reps. urging them to follow suit down here in Texas.
    NRA Life Member
    Glock Shooting Sports Foundation Member

"Get yourself a GLOCK and lose that nickel plated Sissy Pistol."-US Marshalls

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I think the Brady Bunch just had a stroke.

Be nice if they afforded the right to defend oneself to everyone, but a step in the right direction nonetheless.

hmm I like where this is going. I'm not a student any more (well in the collegiate sense) But when I was I never felt confident that anyone in any of the classes would have been willing to "Step UP" in an emergency situation.

while it does take a step in the right direction it would be nice if the legislation was a little more broad.

this is one of the few times in life when I wish the federal government would step up and take some action enforcing the constitution on the states. Gun ownership, while in NO WAY, should be registered with the government, is a federal level right, not a state right, and as such should be standardised on the federal level allowed and enforced by the us constitution.

mabye im off on that one but i hope my intent is read rather than the words i used, its an off day for me,
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Whoopee !! Hope this keeps on spreading before my son goes off to school in a couple years.

Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Be nice if they afforded the right to defend oneself to everyone, but a step in the right direction nonetheless.
    I hope that later on this will be broadened to include everyone. The anti-gun crowd have been incrementally taking away our rights over the years, so maybe our pro-gun legislators are now using their tactics against them by incrementally giving us our rights back.

But then maybe I'm being overly optimistic!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Well its a great step in the right direction, although they need to broaden the so called "trained personal" beyond military

AMH
    I don’t like the fact that you have to notify the college president. It is none of their business. The local college here (Cameron) has already publicly announced their resistance to this bill. I can see the campus police creating a list of holders made from the letters, then using this list to harass students.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links