Concealed carry in bars

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in bars within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I think people should be able to carry any time, any place, drink or no drink (one can already have a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry in bars

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think people should be able to carry any time, any place, drink or no drink (one can already have a beer while CCW in FL...no flame, just a fact).
    CCW in bars (which I don't go to anyway) is not going to cause bloodshed in the saloons any more than CCW caused bloodshed in the streets...history shows that this to be true.
    Criminals and misfits already carry in bars and 'drink plenty' with their guns on...
    Responsible CCW'ers don't usually do this...if they do...bye-bye permit with jail time to boot.

Carry in the school or other public buildings is a crime (in most states) but it never stops the criminal, only the law-abiding citizen.

I guess I missed the part in 2A about the places one couldn't carry... OMO

Stay armed...everywhere...stay safe!
    I agree. I lie in a state were I can have a drink and carry. I don't plan on getting drunk when I carry but I do go to a bar my friends own and will drink a beer. Carrying a gun requires being responsible, so as long ass you keep yourself with in the law it should be legal. If one is allowed to drink and get behind the wheel, one should be able to maintain a weapon (as long as you are under the limit)

If a criminal carrys into a bar (they don't follow the law) I should be able to protect myself.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Steven Colbert is an idiot.
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I agree. I lie in a state were I can have a drink and carry. I don't plan on getting drunk when I carry but I do go to a bar my friends own and will drink a beer. Carrying a gun requires being responsible, so as long ass you keep yourself with in the law it should be legal. If one is allowed to drink and get behind the wheel, one should be able to maintain a weapon (as long as you are under the limit)

If a criminal carrys into a bar (they don't follow the law) I should be able to protect myself.
    I agree with you 100%, it comes down to responsibility. How do you define "criminal" in the terms of carrying into a bar? In my mind drinking and driving should also be determined by responsibility and we know what happens there. Unfortunately not everyone can be counted on to act responsibly, especially after a couple of drinks.

It was pretty funny.

I don't have a problem with carrying in an establishment that sells alcohol. In Texas we can as long as it is not full out bar, 51% or more of its revenue generated from alcohol sales. Yes they all have signs to let you know.

And I strongly disagree with the blanket statement that guns and alcohol don't mix ever. I often have a beer when carrying, never has affected my judgement, don't expect it to in the future.

There are some folks that don't have good judgment or good firearms handling skills regardless of whether they are sober or have had a beer or whatever. Maybe we should have a test to see if you know how to handle a gun or have good judgement before your allowed to purchase one. How many would agree to that?

To say flat out that if someone has had a drink they instantly become incapable of good judgement is just silly.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Steven Colbert is an idiot.
    +1

The left has the impression that anyone that can legally own a firearm is a 'Bubba'. The media is just as guilty at portraying us as such.

But, when something bad happens, they all wished they had something that may have helped them.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

First I just have to say that I thought the guy using a shotgun for a pool cue was a beautiful thing.

Secondly, MS has the 51% rule and I'm perfectly happy with it. As far as carrying in a straight up bar, I'm not so sure. MOST people don't go to a bar to just have one drink. Hell, I know I don't. And while 1 drink won't send someone into lala land, 8 or 9 might. Especially is said drinker had a bad day at the office or a fight with their better half. Guns empower people. Alcohol empowers people. Too much power is a bad thing. Flame me if you like, but I'm not so sure that this is a good idea and may soon end up hurting our cause. A few flared tempers is all it would take to undo a lot of good work.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

pretty funny, why is it whenever anti gun people interview gun owners they always pick the goofiest ones to talk to.

Texas has the 51% rule and it seems to work pretty well. i cant really vote on this issue as i dont drink or frequent bars.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I went to a bar/nightclub last night for the first time in a couple of decades. This was the type of place that young folks for singles chasing and getting drunk. David Allen Coe was playing and I was a guest of the owner. We had great seats overlooking the floor and center stage. DAC is rather on the redneck side of the world and there was an older crowd than is normal according to the owner. Lots of drunk guys hooping and hollering at the front of the stage like tweens at a Brittany concert. I'm of the opinion that the more normal carrying a gun becomes the less likely it is of being used improperly. But those who use a gun improperly should receive appropriate consequences.

The only fight was 2 off duty police officers who were carrying and used there badges to get in free. Head of security and a couple of the security guys were off duty cops. They were not happy.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I went to a bar/nightclub last night for the first time in a couple of decades. This was the type of place that young folks for singles chasing and getting drunk. David Allen Coe was playing and I was a guest of the owner. We had great seats overlooking the floor and center stage. DAC is rather on the redneck side of the world and there was an older crowd than is normal according to the owner. Lots of drunk guys hooping and hollering at the front of the stage like tweens at a Brittany concert. I'm of the opinion that the more normal carrying a gun becomes the less likely it is of being used improperly. But those who use a gun improperly should receive appropriate consequences.

The only fight was 2 off duty police officers who were carrying and used there badges to get in free. Head of security and a couple of the security guys were off duty cops. They were not happy.

do you mean the two offduty LEOs got in a fight w/each other?
    bad blood between them?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    do you mean the two offduty LEOs got in a fight w/each other?
    bad blood between them?
    Yep, but I don't know the details. To top it off part of the bar's security were also off-duty cops. What a mess. I might find out more later. My source that they were off-duty cops was the owner of nightclub.

It happened right in front of me and I didn't see any escalation between or around them. I may have missed it but if there was any previous conflict before the first punch I didn't see it. I was pretty alert to watching for this stuff around me to.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Don't drink, so don't frequent bars...not really an issue for me. I doubt I'd be able to sit in peace in a typical bar that would play David Allen Coe for long.

Got the drinking out of my system at a young age. Can't see that I'm missing anything.

-JT

I'm not really a drinker, but on that special occasion where I do, my gun is nowhere to be found. I have a friend that owns a bar and I frequent it armed often, just to say hi and BS and maybe play alittle pool, in Idaho it's not illegal.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Don't drink, so don't frequent bars...not really an issue for me. I doubt I'd be able to sit in peace in a typical bar that would play David Allen Coe for long.

Got the drinking out of my system at a young age. Can't see that I'm missing anything.

-JT
    i agree with you dred cthulhu, same w/me and drinking.
    although if some band i really like played at a bar i might conceivably go there to see them.
    if that did happen it would be hard to leave my carry behind.

― Thomas Paine

kpw
    I like a good bar. It's a good place to meet up with friends and BS about our lives. I like dancing and music, shooting a game of pool or darts. There usually isn't any trouble at the places I go and this is considered a redneck town. I don't drink much but on occasion I enjoy a couple beers or a good bourbon. It's legal to carry in a bar here but I don't know anyone that does if they are drinking. There hasn't been a problem here in PA with drunk ccw holders shooting up the bars and there are a lot of us in this state.

If I'm drinking, i would want my designated driver to be armed.

If I'm driving, i will be armed. No harm in that. bars are notorious for morons drinking and getting out of hand over nothing, however, none of my friends who carry LEGALLY are those kinds of idiots.

The guy in the video who was laughing about mixing guns in bars...what are the odds he was a concealed carry permit holder?

I think Colbert can be funny, but at the same time, his is insulting me and everyone of us. I don't act that irresponsible, and I bet 98% of the people reading this right now don't either.

The last 10 times I was in a bar, it was to have a burger with a friend who was having a burger with a beer.

A BEER.

So because the best place to get a burger is a place that I have to disarm and put myself at the mercy of some idiot who decides to get drunk and start crap with the guy with the long hair?

I don't think so.

He can stop my bullets just as effectively as a sober guy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links