Concealed carry in bars

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in bars within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by semperfi.45 Don't look too far into it, it's just comedy! With apology to Shakespeare, "The skit's the thing catch the conscience of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed carry in bars

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Don't look too far into it, it's just comedy!
    With apology to Shakespeare, "The skit's the thing catch the conscience of the sheepish."

It is well established that comedy, particularly satire, is effective as an opinion changer.

Were Steven Colbert putting forth a well reasoned polemic, the public would tune it out. This way he get mileage and the viewers get bumper sticker "logic" and a visual image fixed in their mind.

It's hard to dispute emotion with reason -- even more so to dispute satire.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 16th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Ohio.
    Non-issue.
    Verboten to carry in any establishment with a class D permit that serves liquor by the drink.
    Agreed that the media picks the worst examples to interview.
    I lost all respect for the media during my term as fire chief, and my terms as acting police chief.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I grew up on a tobacco farm in the Deep South and we had a lot of hands/tenants/sharecroppers, whatever you want to call them, that lived on our farm. There were few weeknds that went by without the police calling either my Father or Grandfather to go get one of them out of jail, usually for either shooting or cutting someone. Sometimes it wuld be the doctor calling about who was going to stand for their bill. Either way it involved alcohol 99% of the time. This was back in the 50's and 60's but I saw enough of honky tonks and joints to shape my beliefs that alcohol and guns or knives don't mix. Back then the .25 auto was the gun of choice whaich probably saved a lot of lives but most of those that worked on our farm could show you multiple scars from either bullets or cuts.

kpw
    Alcohol doesn't mix with much wether it's guns, cars or anything that requires thought and common sense. Most people that are licensed to carry seem to understand that. If not, we would be having a lot of problems here in PA and that's not the case. Eating at an establishment that serves alcohol or being in a tavern armed does not induce a person to drink. If it does, I'd suggest AA. We need to make the distinction between licensed/lawful carry and some people that just tote guns around anyway. Most instances I've heard of seem to belong to the latter group.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    There were few weeknds that went by without the police calling either my Father or Grandfather to go get one of them out of jail, usually for either shooting or cutting someone. Sometimes it wuld be the doctor calling about who was going to stand for their bill. Either way it involved alcohol 99% of the time. This was back in the 50's and 60's but I saw enough of honky tonks and joints to shape my beliefs that alcohol and guns or knives don't mix.
    I find this type of anecdotal evidence a bit diisngenuous. Of course, if they were at a honky tonk then alcohol was involved. I'll bet tobacco was involved, too. I have yet to see an argument that tobacco and firearms don't mix even though some smokers are irresponsible (ever see an ashtray dumped in a parking lot? or a smoker acting irrationally after a long time without their drug?) The fact is that some people are irresponsible. Making preemptive laws that disallow behavior simple because some people abuse their responsibilities is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Steven Colbert is an idiot.
    +10
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In Colorado its not a problem. We can carry in bars, resturants, etc. We just can't be under the influence. I don't drink and drive so I'm the armed driver. I'm afraid to drink and drive, it just isn't the right thing to do. So why not be armed.

Franklin Township, Dekalb County, Indiana
    Indiana has had licensed carry since 1935. Our license allows either open or concealed carry. We can carry in bars, saloons, strip joints and restaurants that serve alcohol and our barroom floors aren't slippery with blood. On the very rare occaisions I go into a known rowdy joint, I conceal my revolver to help prevent someone fortified with liquid courage from trying to show his/her friends how bad they are by bracing the man with the gun.
    Then He said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 (KJ)

+1,000,000,000.

Neither the write-up introducing it nor the video was funny. I detest mockery in all it's forms, but especially when is comes disguised as "reasoned discourse."

Two thumbs down from this viewer!

<><Peace

Distinguished Member
    +1

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I don't think anywhere should be off-limts to good guys. If you screw-up you pay no matter who you are. Then you are no longer a good guy. Could just imagine if you have any martial arts training that they tied you hands and shackled your feet to enter a bar?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links