Is a CCW for me? - Page 3

Is a CCW for me?

This is a discussion on Is a CCW for me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If all you do is go to work and then go home and never leave, i guess you don't need to carry. But, what about ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is a CCW for me?

If all you do is go to work and then go home and never leave, i guess you don't need to carry. But, what about your commute to and from work?? Ever go shopping ? You might want to rethink what you really do in the hours you are not on the job. You can get a small lock box to keep your gun secured in your car and out of sight and DO NOT discuss your guns with co-workers , nosey neighbors or anyone you can't completely trust.

Administrator
    I didnt bother reading all the posts since they seem to all say the same thing, just reworded, so sorry if I'm doing the same thing and saying what somebody else already did;

It doesnt matter if you never carry, at least you will have the option too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get the permit, guy. You won't regret it.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

One thing I didn't see mentioned...

In FL (and I assume other states, as well), having your CWL exempts you from certain penalties, reduces the charges one could conceivably face if charged for something you did accidentally (being in the wrong place with a weapon in your car, for example).

If for no other reason, and you never carry, this would be worth it.
    Research VA laws to check this out.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mellman View Post
    Given I spend 9-10 hours of my day there, I'd likely have to leave my firearm in my car, which I am not a fan of since it is easy to break into a car.
    I have a Center of Mass safe for the car and initially at home until I get a CCW when I move next month. In Car Gun Safe

VIP Member
    All I can do is echo what others have already said... you won't ever regret having it and it's better to have it and not use it often than to not have it and not be able to CCW at all.

Things change and you never know what the future holds for you. I can't carry at work but I do carry to and from work and leave my weapon in a Center of Mass Gun Safe in my vehicle at work parked off company property.

It's just a little over 5 miles drive to my job and in the last 10 years I have had one occasion just a mere 2 blocks from my home where I was very glad I had my weapon... don't be foolish enough to believe that you're ever safe from those with ill intent!

I suggest that you get your permit and carry whenever you can.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You can only purchase one handgun a month in VA without a permit. It makes carry in the car much easier too. It can be in the center console, a safe, glove box, bag, backpack, on the floor behind the seat, or under a hamburger wrapper, if not on your hip.

You will still need proof-of-citizenship to purchase an evil black rifle.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    I work for the Department of Defense and work on a military post. I cant carry while on post, I cant even leave my weapon in the car while on post. I am unarmed 40+ hours a week.

But I carry 100% of the rest of the time. My family deserves it. My countrymen deserve it.
    I'm in the exact same situation (and probably work on the same military post) and agree 100%. I haven't received my permit yet, but should have it by the end of April. Holster and gun belt are on order, and as soon as I have all three I'll be carrying anytime the law allows.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Fantastic. Thanks for the link to the safe I will have to look into it and other options when I decide on what firearm to purchase. I've got a lot of reading ahead of me now seeing the many different options here...

Decided to go ahead and get my permit, looking into my class options now so that by the time i have a safe, and have purchased my firearm i'll be able to carry if I so choose.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/points/opinions!

God Bless America!

Unless your short commute home is with a PD everyday, and you never go out with family and friends for dinner, and you never venture out on a road trip or vacation, or never go to the mall or gas station, or get a hair cut, or go to the grocery store, your are most likely right... you dont need a CHL. But if you do any of these you may want to consider getting yours!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

COM car safes are almost a must.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I work in the state Capitol where ccw is a no-no. When not at work I carry pretty much all the time.

I say go for the ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellman View Post
    My issue and concern is that I do not know how often I would be able to carry given my current place of work. I work at a government contractor, and I believe they do not allow guns on the premises. Given I spend 9-10 hours of my day there, I'd likely have to leave my firearm in my car, which I am not a fan of since it is easy to break into a car.

I suppose my question is more...is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it? My commute is short, I don't need a CCW for home defense, so what's the point of me obtaining one.

I guess I also wonder about the questions people would ask if they see I am carrying, and opinions people up here may develop...not that I care what they think, but I'd hate for someone to call the cops on me because I'm carrying.
    I was in your shoes. I am a school teacher, and can't carry at work, or even to and from work. I don't have the option of leaving it in my car, we get fired for that sort of thing. Anyhow, My husband has his CCW so home defence is covered, when he is not home I have the rifles and shotguns, so why would I need my CCW? Because I am not always at home or work. I am not always someplace safe and friendly, and even if I am someone else may not want it to stay that way.

I though, but I am a school teacher, what will people think if I am seen carrying a gun around?!?! What do I care, they will think I am crazy or that I am safe. Either way I know I am safer than if I didn't. If the cops are called they will ask for your licence and you will show it to them and you will both go on your marry ways, unless you are doing something stupid like waving your gun around. But I have never had the cops called on me just for carrying my weapon. I don't know about the rest of the people here, but I find most of the sheeple don't even notice the gun as long as one keeps it concealed.

So, for now, I started on this board without my CCW license, then after a few months I took my $50 and went down to the court house and got it. I am now a prowd carrier of the card. I usually only carry on the weekends, because that is the only time I know I will not be hitting school grounds.

Good luck making up your mind. Only you can deside if you want to practice your 2nd amendment rights. I you taking the time to think it over.

TDPalmer

VIP Member
    By the way Mellman... I forgot to say welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

all law abiding citizens should have a CHL and as the greatest swordsman of japan
    Miyamoto Musashi said, always be ready for the unexpected.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links