Defensive Carry banner

Is a CCW for me?

5K views 63 replies 52 participants last post by  McPatrickClan 
#1 ·
Hello all. New here, did some searching but haven't found any similar posts...Seems like most people that have registered here already have a permit, and carry daily.

If there is a sticky somewhere...or a writeup about this please direct me to it! I didn't seem to find anything.

In any case -- I'm 23, and considering purchasing a firearm for daily carry. I'm very comfortable with firearms, and have been shooting/hunting since I was 6. My issue and concern is that I do not know how often I would be able to carry given my current place of work. I work at a government contractor, and I believe they do not allow guns on the premises. Given I spend 9-10 hours of my day there, I'd likely have to leave my firearm in my car, which I am not a fan of since it is easy to break into a car.

I suppose my question is more...is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it? My commute is short, I don't need a CCW for home defense, so what's the point of me obtaining one.

I guess I also wonder about the questions people would ask if they see I am carrying, and opinions people up here may develop...not that I care what they think, but I'd hate for someone to call the cops on me because I'm carrying.

Hopefully someone here has been in my shoes and can offer some guidance.

Thanks!

See less See more
#57 ·
If you watch the news at all and you don't know if you need it or not.........then I would say know......but on the other hand take the course and learn something new. Then it's up to you to send in for you license or not.:hand5:

#58 ·
While there are no state statutes in my state that say EMS staff can not carry firearms on an ambulance, my service does have a no gun policy.

Now that is not enforced at the station as most everyone are hunters and folks often bring their weapons in from time to time to show off new purchases, clean their weapons or work on them while at work... boss included.

I have not felt the need to buck the policy as far as carrying while on duty.

However, I carry everywhere I go off duty and so does my wife.

Greater than 60% of the time I carry a BUG and have been known to carry 3 depending on where my business travels takes me.

I also usually have OC spray in my possession and carry other tools such as Kubotan or other striking type weapon and a folding knife.

Really it all boils down to being a way of life or lifestyle that I have chosen to follow.

As a tactical medic for a swat team as well as being a former certified LEO defensive tactics and other combative techniques instructor, I do not feel particularly vulnerable if I do not happen to have a firearm with me.

My training and mindset allow my to utilize a variety of methods, techniques and objects as means of self defense.

Still I carry every opportunity I have because the old saying about guns are true. "When what you need is a gun for defense, there is no substitute!"

Please see my signature line.

But note that if I didn't have a gun, I wouldn't necessarily feel "unprotected."

I do recommend that everyone who does choose to carry a gun, develop the mindset it takes to truly do it right and look at it as a lifestyle change that you are committed to having on a full time basis.

Stay Safe! YMMV

#59 ·
I guess I also wonder about the questions people would ask if they see I am carrying, and opinions people up here may develop...not that I care what they think, but I'd hate for someone to call the cops on me because I'm carrying.
For me, the concealed part of concealed carry is paramount. Therefore, what others think about carrying is never an issue.

#62 ·
Yes, worth getting

I suppose my question is more...is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it? My commute is short, I don't need a CCW for home defense, so what's the point of me obtaining one.

Thanks!
Same boat. Can't carry at work--illegal. Don't need a permit for home defense. So, what benefit does the permit give me?

1) Certainty that I am legal when traveling between house and range.
2) Option to carry when I am out and about, or on the road for personal business. E.g., I'll carry when I travel to the larger city 100 miles from home.
3) Option to carry when I go to an ATM machine.

Now, all of that said, I have a word of personal advice. Keep in mind I'm an old guy. I would like to see the age for getting a permit set at 25 and not 21; with maybe the exception being for honorably discharged vets.

Most men, males, just don't quite grow up till then. Sorry. That is how I see it from the ripe old age of 65. Believe me, when I was younger I would have thought my comment outrageous.

So, here's my advice. Wait 2 years and then get your carry permit, and carry whenever it is lawful to do so.

#63 ·
Same boat. Can't carry at work--illegal. Don't need a permit for home defense. So, what benefit does the permit give me?

1) Certainty that I am legal when traveling between house and range.
2) Option to carry when I am out and about, or on the road for personal business. E.g., I'll carry when I travel to the larger city 100 miles from home.
3) Option to carry when I go to an ATM machine.

Now, all of that said, I have a word of personal advice. Keep in mind I'm an old guy. I would like to see the age for getting a permit set at 25 and not 21; with maybe the exception being for honorably discharged vets.

Most men, males, just don't quite grow up till then. Sorry. That is how I see it from the ripe old age of 65. Believe me, when I was younger I would have thought my comment outrageous.

So, here's my advice. Wait 2 years and then get your carry permit, and carry whenever it is lawful to do so.
You know as an almost 24 year old, I can agree with that statement....however not everyone is alike, I know plenty of 30 year olds...heck lets say 50 year olds that I would not want carrying! I'm very mature for my age I think, and Put a lot of thought into getting my permit and feel I am ready for the responsibility and lifestyle changes it requires.

BUT...I almost agree with your age requirement...change it the day after I receive my permit in 45 days ;)

#64 ·
Check out "Armed Response" by Scott Kenik. It really helped convince me to carry more than I currently do. People are victims of their own inability to help themselves every day. Don't carry if you are unable to kill to save those you love, but if you can't stand the thought of someone harming you or those you love, consider doing something to protect yourself.

I think one of the best ways to protect yourself is with a fine revolver or semi-automatic. Of course, make sure you are properly practiced before carrying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.