Is a CCW for me? - Page 5

Is a CCW for me?

This is a discussion on Is a CCW for me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tdpalmer I was in your shoes. I am a school teacher, and can't carry at work, or even to and from work. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is a CCW for me?

Quote Originally Posted by tdpalmer View Post
    I was in your shoes. I am a school teacher, and can't carry at work, or even to and from work. I don't have the option of leaving it in my car, we get fired for that sort of thing. Anyhow, My husband has his CCW so home defence is covered, when he is not home I have the rifles and shotguns, so why would I need my CCW? Because I am not always at home or work. I am not always someplace safe and friendly, and even if I am someone else may not want it to stay that way.

I though, but I am a school teacher, what will people think if I am seen carrying a gun around?!?! What do I care, they will think I am crazy or that I am safe. Either way I know I am safer than if I didn't. If the cops are called they will ask for your licence and you will show it to them and you will both go on your marry ways, unless you are doing something stupid like waving your gun around. But I have never had the cops called on me just for carrying my weapon. I don't know about the rest of the people here, but I find most of the sheeple don't even notice the gun as long as one keeps it concealed.

So, for now, I started on this board without my CCW license, then after a few months I took my $50 and went down to the court house and got it. I am now a prowd carrier of the card. I usually only carry on the weekends, because that is the only time I know I will not be hitting school grounds.

Good luck making up your mind. Only you can deside if you want to practice your 2nd amendment rights. I you taking the time to think it over.

TDPalmer
    good post, in Israel teachers are encouraged to carry.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member

Yes, worth getting

Quote Originally Posted by Mellman View Post

I suppose my question is more...is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it? My commute is short, I don't need a CCW for home defense, so what's the point of me obtaining one.

Thanks!
    Same boat. Can't carry at work--illegal. Don't need a permit for home defense. So, what benefit does the permit give me?

1) Certainty that I am legal when traveling between house and range.
    2) Option to carry when I am out and about, or on the road for personal business. E.g., I'll carry when I travel to the larger city 100 miles from home.
    3) Option to carry when I go to an ATM machine.

Now, all of that said, I have a word of personal advice. Keep in mind I'm an old guy. I would like to see the age for getting a permit set at 25 and not 21; with maybe the exception being for honorably discharged vets.

Most men, males, just don't quite grow up till then. Sorry. That is how I see it from the ripe old age of 65. Believe me, when I was younger I would have thought my comment outrageous.

So, here's my advice. Wait 2 years and then get your carry permit, and carry whenever it is lawful to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Same boat. Can't carry at work--illegal. Don't need a permit for home defense. So, what benefit does the permit give me?

1) Certainty that I am legal when traveling between house and range.
    2) Option to carry when I am out and about, or on the road for personal business. E.g., I'll carry when I travel to the larger city 100 miles from home.
    3) Option to carry when I go to an ATM machine.

Now, all of that said, I have a word of personal advice. Keep in mind I'm an old guy. I would like to see the age for getting a permit set at 25 and not 21; with maybe the exception being for honorably discharged vets.

Most men, males, just don't quite grow up till then. Sorry. That is how I see it from the ripe old age of 65. Believe me, when I was younger I would have thought my comment outrageous.

So, here's my advice. Wait 2 years and then get your carry permit, and carry whenever it is lawful to do so.
    You know as an almost 24 year old, I can agree with that statement....however not everyone is alike, I know plenty of 30 year olds...heck lets say 50 year olds that I would not want carrying! I'm very mature for my age I think, and Put a lot of thought into getting my permit and feel I am ready for the responsibility and lifestyle changes it requires.

BUT...I almost agree with your age requirement...change it the day after I receive my permit in 45 days ;)

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Check out "Armed Response" by Scott Kenik. It really helped convince me to carry more than I currently do. People are victims of their own inability to help themselves every day. Don't carry if you are unable to kill to save those you love, but if you can't stand the thought of someone harming you or those you love, consider doing something to protect yourself.

I think one of the best ways to protect yourself is with a fine revolver or semi-automatic. Of course, make sure you are properly practiced before carrying.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links