Defensive Carry banner

Is a CCW for me?

5K views 63 replies 52 participants last post by  McPatrickClan 
#1 ·
Hello all. New here, did some searching but haven't found any similar posts...Seems like most people that have registered here already have a permit, and carry daily.

If there is a sticky somewhere...or a writeup about this please direct me to it! I didn't seem to find anything.

In any case -- I'm 23, and considering purchasing a firearm for daily carry. I'm very comfortable with firearms, and have been shooting/hunting since I was 6. My issue and concern is that I do not know how often I would be able to carry given my current place of work. I work at a government contractor, and I believe they do not allow guns on the premises. Given I spend 9-10 hours of my day there, I'd likely have to leave my firearm in my car, which I am not a fan of since it is easy to break into a car.

I suppose my question is more...is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it? My commute is short, I don't need a CCW for home defense, so what's the point of me obtaining one.

I guess I also wonder about the questions people would ask if they see I am carrying, and opinions people up here may develop...not that I care what they think, but I'd hate for someone to call the cops on me because I'm carrying.

Hopefully someone here has been in my shoes and can offer some guidance.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't yet have my permit either and I waffled back and forth on whether or not to get it for a while. But then I realized that, if I have the permit & never carry a gun, I know it is by my own choice. I have taken responsibility for my own safety by putting myself into a position where I am able to choose to defend myself should I choose to do so. If I don't get a permit, and someday want to carry, I can't. I suppose that technically I would have chosen that situation as well by not choosing to get the permit at all...

My point is that with the permit, you have the choice. Without it, you don't. I haven't yet gotten myself into a position to get my permit, but I am 100% committed to doing so as soon as I can. My advice is for you to do the same.

Good luck on your decision, and welcome to the forum!

#3 ·
You have days off, they make safes for your car, you go to the store, you take your family to eat, no you don't need one till you need one!!! It is a small investment, in which you might find yourself defending you life one day or the life of someone you love!! The first thing you need to do is ask yourself, if you feel your life to be in danger can you pull the trigger, if it is not an instant yes, you need some thinking to do and no one can give you an answer but you! You don't want your gun used on you or someone else. log on to any news site these days and see what's running the streets beside you everyday. I got my permit when I turned 21 and will all ways have a way to defend myself 24/7. There is alot more then just loading it and wearing it, it's a choice and lifestyle. I myself will not be a willing victim, Best of luck with your decision!!:smile:

#9 ·
You have days off, they make safes for your car, you go to the store, you take your family to eat, no you don't need one till you need one!!! It is a small investment, in which you might find yourself defending you life one day or the life of someone you love!! The first thing you need to do is ask yourself, if you feel your life to be in danger can you pull the trigger, if it is not an instant yes, you need some thinking to do and no one can give you an answer but you! You don't want your gun used on you or someone else. log on to any news site these days and see what's running the streets beside you everyday. I got my permit when I turned 21 and will all ways have a way to defend myself 24/7. There is alot more then just loading it and wearing it, it's a choice and lifestyle. I myself will not be a willing victim, Best of luck with your decision!!:smile:
Absolutely. I have no doubt that if I felt I was in a situation where my life is in danger I'd be able to pull the trigger. Obviously I have some learning to do about the laws in VA, but I'm comfortable carrying.

Unless you work 24/7 there will be plenty of time to carry legally. If you have a wife/family, that is another reason to carry.
The choice is yours, temperament has a lot to do with it, I believe it amplifies the character of the individual - both good and bad traits.
I totally agree...I know that I'm responsible enough to responsibly carry, I am not tempremental and generally result to trying to talk my way through a situation, and leaving said situation.

#5 ·
I retired 9 years ago...have had my permit for the last 7 years. Got used to CCW everywhere (legal, of course)...recently took a job in a school...can't carry there...but everywhere else...

Get your CCW permit ASAP...:hand10:

It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it! OMO

#7 ·
I would go ahead and get the permit. You never know what the future holds. I got my first permit not because of my job, but because of my wife's. She worked for a company that made communications satellites. That meant we got some free trips to Florida for launches. I knew nothing about the area where we would be staying, but did know that tourists were being targeted by the bad guys.
If you have the permit and never make use of it, you are out a little time and money. If your job suddenly takes you into an area where you are more likely to need a weapon than you feel you do now, will you have time to get it before you go? Having a permit does not mean you are obligated to carry, it means you have a choice. Why limit your choices?

#8 ·
Unless you work 24/7 there will be plenty of time to carry legally. If you have a wife/family, that is another reason to carry.
The choice is yours, temperament has a lot to do with it, I believe it amplifies the character of the individual - both good and bad traits.

#10 ·
Exercise your second amendment rights and get a permit. I am in education and I spend 40+ hours a week at a high school. Can't carry in a gun free school zone but you can bet the farm I am carrying everywhere else I am legally allowed to so.

#11 ·
Yes, absolutely, get one. I work in a job where I also cannot carry on work premises. But it's on me virtually 24/7 otherwise. Another reason for having the permit is that it makes it easier to buy a gun, and it lets any LEO's whom you may encounter know that you're likely a good guy. Other thing is that you're exercising your second amendment rights. The more people with permits means the politicians will be aware that there is a greater constituency that can take them right out of office if they want to squirrel around with the 2nd amendment. Strength in numbers!

#12 ·
I have yet to meet a person who regretted getting their ccw license.

#13 ·
Jobs change. Locales change. Life changes. You may not need it now, or so you think, but there may come a day when you wish you had it right now. It is better to have it now and not use it than to need it in a hurray and have to wait 6 months. Plus I can not think of one disadvantage to having it.

#14 ·
I agree with all of the above, get it. Do you ever go too a bad part of town? Do you plan to have a family one day you would like to protect if the need arises. One other thing to think about, the anti-gunners are always trying to get laws past and there is generally (not always) a grandfather clause.

#17 · (Edited)
If you think "Gee, I'm going to a rough section of town, maybe I should be armed.", you probably shouldn't go. But if you have to go to the all night Walgreen's at 2:00 AM cause your wife or kid needs a prescription filled ASAP, you should go armed.

But the 'grandfather clause' is one of the things that prompted me to get mine. Last election, the state swung from RED to BLUE. They [the Dems] said they were gonna do stuff and they already have. They put in the Residents Only reciprocity and now they're working on mandatory locked storage. Who knows what will happen between now and the next election.

PS, everyone stock up on high capacity magazines. They were 'grandfathered' in in 1994.

#15 ·
Even if you don't choose to carry, consider it a vote-with-your-money for the 2nd amendment. The more licenses there are, the more the politicians will have to take us seriously. Politicians only understand money and numbers; our carry licenses represent both.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

#16 ·
Everyone on this site is going to tell you carrying is a good thing. Its like walking into a car dealership and asking if you should buy a car... We can only offer you our logic, the real choice is up to you. You have to understand that carrying is a lifestyle choice, and honestly I wouldn't reccomend it unless you are willing to dedicate yourself. Just getting the permit is the bare minimum, you also have to consider getting extra training, or else you are really just fooling yourself into thinking you are safer. Alot of people say atleast get it b/c its a "2nd amendment vote", thats nice, but I'd rather see you safe (not have a ccw) if you arn't willing to put in the required effort. Its somthing that shouldn't be taken lightly.

On the flipside, yes one day unfortunatly you may need it, and it is better to be safe than sorry.

I encourage you to get it and keep training and keep your skills sharp.

#60 ·
Good point. During the LA riots sheep tried to buy guns and learned there was a five day wait, too late for many of them. A permit would have allowed them to buy guns that day. Truth is there is a big difference between getting a CCW and having a gun. Of course you should get it the CCW. If you decide to buy a gun & carry is another matter. Only you can decide that. Only, you know if you are responsible and disciplined enough to learn how to use it correctly, and do so if needed. If you are & can. You know the answer. Don't you? You know that one day you may need it. Hopefully you never will.

If you think "Gee, I'm going to a rough section of town, maybe I should be armed.", you probably shouldn't go.
Long story short, my wife said this a few years ago after some teens that tried to intimidate her. Told them in that quiet voice she has, she'd carve them up and serve them for dinner. I know she would have too, she has a couple of priors. Later she said I have walked on these streets for X number of years I'll damned if some little creeps are going to keep me from going where I want when I want. I pretty much agree. If I have business somewhere, anywhere, at any time, 24/7 I'll be there and could care less who don't like it

#19 ·
I'm 23, and considering purchasing a firearm for daily carry. I'm very comfortable with firearms, and have been shooting/hunting since I was 6.
Great. You've got nothing to lose by obtaining a CHL, then. You've done all the preparation and work, having been around guns and safety for that long. If nothing else, it is one more thing to show that you've passed muster and are one of the good guys. Given the risk of modern life and how little some value it, it'll ensure you can remain legally armed no matter where you go.

I do not know how often I would be able to carry given my current place of work. I work at a government contractor, and I believe they do not allow guns on the premises. Given I spend 9-10 hours of my day there, I'd likely have to leave my firearm in my car, which I am not a fan of since it is easy to break into a car.
You may well be working for this contractor today. Tomorrow, who's to say?

I suppose my question is more...is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it?
If true non-use, then a CHL is irrelevant. But, IMO, everyone can find some use.

My commute is short ...
Today. If you change jobs, that'll change right then. Plus, I'm assuming that driving into town via car/bicycle isn't the only time that you're outside your home.

I don't need a CCW for home defense ...
Are you saying that your property and home are, by design, immune to all crime? You'll need to clarify what it is, exactly, about the design that allows for complete relaxing of defenses in this way. Short of a bunker with armed guards and dogs, I don't think there is any such thing. I have yet to see a home or property that couldn't benefit by hardening of the defenses.

I guess I also wonder about the questions people would ask if they see I am carrying, and opinions people up here may develop...not that I care what they think, but I'd hate for someone to call the cops on me because I'm carrying.
If not completely concealed and invisible, you'll likely get questions. Simply go about your business. Treat it like any other tool you've got in your pocket. Most folks aren't even going to know you've got anything with you.

Read up on the relevant law. In Virginia, there have been instances of individual officers not having a clue about the subtleties of VA carry laws. Make contact with the Virginia Citizens' Defense League (VCDL), for good info on carrying in VA.

#20 ·
welcome to the forum from s.e. michigan. i agree with above posts.
I"d get for those days off,nights out and about,etc. suppport your 2a.
and the ever popular as stated before(just like your firearm) better
to have it and not need it than to need it a not have it. plus you get to learn
something new(ccw class). i"m not saying that you dont know, i myself
learn something new everyday.like this forum,to me DC is like an online
school,great info,inputs and so on.anyway just my 0.02 worth.
good luck in your desision.

#21 ·
I can't really add much more to what has already been said. I would go ahead and get it, you never know when you might want to carry and it is better to have it and not use it than want to and not be able to. If you ever travel just remember your permit is honored by numerous states and the list continues to grow.

#22 ·
Hi, I agree with Doc. I too do not have my permit yet but will remedy that next month. In addition, by obtaining your permit you add to the numbers of permit holders sending a signal to the state. Use it or lose it... In the past Virginia has been fairly gun friendly. Check out "VCDL.org" for current trends. Regarding the laws in Va., your CHP class should cover most (if not all) of that. Mike

#23 ·
I work for the Department of Defense and work on a military post. I cant carry while on post, I cant even leave my weapon in the car while on post. I am unarmed 40+ hours a week.

But I carry 100% of the rest of the time. My family deserves it. My countrymen deserve it.

#38 ·
I'm in the exact same situation (and probably work on the same military post) and agree 100%. I haven't received my permit yet, but should have it by the end of April. Holster and gun belt are on order, and as soon as I have all three I'll be carrying anytime the law allows.

#24 ·
Something not touched on yet. When I first started thinking about getting a CWP, it was because I liked the thought of having a pistol in the cab of the pickup with me, not because I really felt a need to tote one around. A CWP circumvents a lot of problems during a encounter with LEO. In Arizona my gun can be loaded , in the truck but has to be in certain places without a permit, with a permit it can be anywhere, IE; in my briefcase, in the door, in the console,etc, etc.
Today I carry everywhere I can legally, by choice, by habit, whatever you want to call it. My point is that a CWP is a good thing to have for a lot more reasons than just the ability to carry a gun.

#26 ·
I originally got my permit for traveling, not knowing where or how often I'd carry. I just wanted the option to carry and ya can't do that without the permit (unless I open carry).
Once getting educated on it, mostly on this forum, I now carry 100% of the time. Alot of people can't carry at work. That's only part of your day.

#27 ·
some great points were raised! :) Thanks to everyone for the responses...I didn't realize this forum was this active!

I didn't think of a few things like the financial support of the 2nd amendment, and being able to purchase a firearm faster. So some great points there.

I made the comment about not needing a CCW permit for home defense because I already have firearms in the home, I don't need a permit to allow me to use them.

The bad neighborhoods i visit are pretty much in downtown DC...which according to them if you own a handgun legally, you must be a drug dealer/criminal/rapist...Hoping to see this law get changed.

I also hadn't considered the grandfather clauses...Excellent points. After thinking about these, I've decided to go ahead and start the process of obtaining my CCW. Next comes deciding to carry, a decision only I can make.

Thanks to everyone for the responses, much appreciated!

-Matt

#28 ·
is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it? My commute is short, I don't need a CCW for home defense, so what's the point of me obtaining one.
I advocate CCW and agree with the points made earlier in the thread. Here are a couple of other points to consider:

If you were ever to need the pistol for home defense, it must be instantly available. Since open or concealed carry is legal on your property, it's true that you don't need the permit for home defense. You could carry all the time on your property, and take it off every time you leave the property, but I bet you don't. If you get a permit and get in the habit of carrying all the time, I think you will be more likely to always have it on you when you are at home.

You have probably already answered the following questions for yourself, but if the answer to any of them is "no", you are probably philosophically opposed to CCW:

Am I capable of killing someone for defensive reasons?

Could I live with myself if I killed in self-defense?

If I find myself in what I consider to be a kill-or-be-killed situation, there are several possible results:
(a) I do not act and am killed or otherwise victimized,
(b) I kill and the DA finds my action to be legal,
(c) I kill and the DA does not agree that I was acting correctly, so I am tried, convicted, and sent to prison.

Would I think option (c) is preferable to option (a)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.