Is a CCW for me?

This is a discussion on Is a CCW for me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. New here, did some searching but haven't found any similar posts...Seems like most people that have registered here already have a permit, and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is a CCW for me?

Is a CCW for me?

Hello all. New here, did some searching but haven't found any similar posts...Seems like most people that have registered here already have a permit, and carry daily.

If there is a sticky somewhere...or a writeup about this please direct me to it! I didn't seem to find anything.

In any case -- I'm 23, and considering purchasing a firearm for daily carry. I'm very comfortable with firearms, and have been shooting/hunting since I was 6. My issue and concern is that I do not know how often I would be able to carry given my current place of work. I work at a government contractor, and I believe they do not allow guns on the premises. Given I spend 9-10 hours of my day there, I'd likely have to leave my firearm in my car, which I am not a fan of since it is easy to break into a car.

I suppose my question is more...is it worth obtaining a CCW permit if I'm unable to make use of it? My commute is short, I don't need a CCW for home defense, so what's the point of me obtaining one.

I guess I also wonder about the questions people would ask if they see I am carrying, and opinions people up here may develop...not that I care what they think, but I'd hate for someone to call the cops on me because I'm carrying.

Hopefully someone here has been in my shoes and can offer some guidance.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I don't yet have my permit either and I waffled back and forth on whether or not to get it for a while. But then I realized that, if I have the permit & never carry a gun, I know it is by my own choice. I have taken responsibility for my own safety by putting myself into a position where I am able to choose to defend myself should I choose to do so. If I don't get a permit, and someday want to carry, I can't. I suppose that technically I would have chosen that situation as well by not choosing to get the permit at all...

My point is that with the permit, you have the choice. Without it, you don't. I haven't yet gotten myself into a position to get my permit, but I am 100% committed to doing so as soon as I can. My advice is for you to do the same.

Good luck on your decision, and welcome to the forum!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

You have days off, they make safes for your car, you go to the store, you take your family to eat, no you don't need one till you need one!!! It is a small investment, in which you might find yourself defending you life one day or the life of someone you love!! The first thing you need to do is ask yourself, if you feel your life to be in danger can you pull the trigger, if it is not an instant yes, you need some thinking to do and no one can give you an answer but you! You don't want your gun used on you or someone else. log on to any news site these days and see what's running the streets beside you everyday. I got my permit when I turned 21 and will all ways have a way to defend myself 24/7. There is alot more then just loading it and wearing it, it's a choice and lifestyle. I myself will not be a willing victim, Best of luck with your decision!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Agree with CDWOLF. Carry 100% of the time you are legally able to do so.

I retired 9 years ago...have had my permit for the last 7 years. Got used to CCW everywhere (legal, of course)...recently took a job in a school...can't carry there...but everywhere else...

Get your CCW permit ASAP...

It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it! OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you never carry at least with a permit it is your choice.

Times will come up where you wish you had it.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

I would go ahead and get the permit. You never know what the future holds. I got my first permit not because of my job, but because of my wife's. She worked for a company that made communications satellites. That meant we got some free trips to Florida for launches. I knew nothing about the area where we would be staying, but did know that tourists were being targeted by the bad guys.
    If you have the permit and never make use of it, you are out a little time and money. If your job suddenly takes you into an area where you are more likely to need a weapon than you feel you do now, will you have time to get it before you go? Having a permit does not mean you are obligated to carry, it means you have a choice. Why limit your choices?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Unless you work 24/7 there will be plenty of time to carry legally. If you have a wife/family, that is another reason to carry.
    The choice is yours, temperament has a lot to do with it, I believe it amplifies the character of the individual - both good and bad traits.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    You have days off, they make safes for your car, you go to the store, you take your family to eat, no you don't need one till you need one!!! It is a small investment, in which you might find yourself defending you life one day or the life of someone you love!! The first thing you need to do is ask yourself, if you feel your life to be in danger can you pull the trigger, if it is not an instant yes, you need some thinking to do and no one can give you an answer but you! You don't want your gun used on you or someone else. log on to any news site these days and see what's running the streets beside you everyday. I got my permit when I turned 21 and will all ways have a way to defend myself 24/7. There is alot more then just loading it and wearing it, it's a choice and lifestyle. I myself will not be a willing victim, Best of luck with your decision!!
    Absolutely. I have no doubt that if I felt I was in a situation where my life is in danger I'd be able to pull the trigger. Obviously I have some learning to do about the laws in VA, but I'm comfortable carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    Unless you work 24/7 there will be plenty of time to carry legally. If you have a wife/family, that is another reason to carry.
    The choice is yours, temperament has a lot to do with it, I believe it amplifies the character of the individual - both good and bad traits.
    I totally agree...I know that I'm responsible enough to responsibly carry, I am not tempremental and generally result to trying to talk my way through a situation, and leaving said situation.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Exercise your second amendment rights and get a permit. I am in education and I spend 40+ hours a week at a high school. Can't carry in a gun free school zone but you can bet the farm I am carrying everywhere else I am legally allowed to so.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Yes, absolutely, get one. I work in a job where I also cannot carry on work premises. But it's on me virtually 24/7 otherwise. Another reason for having the permit is that it makes it easier to buy a gun, and it lets any LEO's whom you may encounter know that you're likely a good guy. Other thing is that you're exercising your second amendment rights. The more people with permits means the politicians will be aware that there is a greater constituency that can take them right out of office if they want to squirrel around with the 2nd amendment. Strength in numbers!
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have yet to meet a person who regretted getting their ccw license.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Jobs change. Locales change. Life changes. You may not need it now, or so you think, but there may come a day when you wish you had it right now. It is better to have it now and not use it than to need it in a hurray and have to wait 6 months. Plus I can not think of one disadvantage to having it.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I agree with all of the above, get it. Do you ever go too a bad part of town? Do you plan to have a family one day you would like to protect if the need arises. One other thing to think about, the anti-gunners are always trying to get laws past and there is generally (not always) a grandfather clause.

Even if you don't choose to carry, consider it a vote-with-your-money for the 2nd amendment. The more licenses there are, the more the politicians will have to take us seriously. Politicians only understand money and numbers; our carry licenses represent both.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links