Leaving your CHL at home while traveling

This is a discussion on Leaving your CHL at home while traveling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be traveling to California next week. I will not be bringing my CCW for a variety of reasons. Since I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving your CHL at home while traveling

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Leaving your CHL at home while traveling

I am going to be traveling to California next week. I will not be bringing my CCW for a variety of reasons. Since I will not need my CHL and I am a minimalist, I am thinking of just taking it out of my wallet and leaving it at home. I am also taking out a lot of other paraphernalia just in case something happens and I lose my wallet.

Does anyone else leave their permit at home when they travel to third world countries?

PS For those of you thinking that I should just leave my gun locked in the car, I am going to be parking the car at the airport and do not need to leave my EDC gun in the car for a week at an airport parking lot.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I would do exactly what you're doing.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I don't see the harm in taking the permit out of your wallet if you're going to travel someplace you can't take your EDC with you. Like you said, there is a chance it could get lost/stolen, and who want's the hassel of having to replace it.
    I'd also have to agree with not leaving the gun in your car for a week (again, why risk it)
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

sounds like a plan to me.no since in taking a chance of it getting lost
    or stolen since you wont be carrying anyway. i"d leave it home.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Just went through that experience, it sucks feeling naked.

Yup, leave your baby and permit at home, preferably locked up and together.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Dont agree with leaving your permit at home if you will be driving in CA. Several months ago before I had my permit.I was a passanger in a rental car in AZ and we got pulled over for speeding. Just talking to the LEO and showing my PBA cards from NY we were able to talk our way out of a heavy ticket turns out the Highway Patrol was orginially from OH. IMHO if you got pulled over and told the officer that you were not carrying but are a decent guy because of you have a CCW more likey to give you a break.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Dont agree with leaving your permit at home if you will be driving in CA. Several months ago before I had my permit.I was a passanger in a rental car in AZ and we got pulled over for speeding. Just talking to the LEO and showing my PBA cards from NY we were able to talk our way out of a heavy ticket turns out the Highway Patrol was orginially from OH. IMHO if you got pulled over and told the officer that you were not carrying but are a decent guy because of you have a CCW more likey to give you a break.
    You got lucky. 9 out of 10 times an out of state traffic ticket is revenue enhancement...period.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I agree with you.

Whenever I fly someplace that I can not CCL; (like last years trip to Hawaii) I clean out my wallet. And only bring one credit card (if wife is traveling with me and she has a different one), driver license and medical insurance stuff.

If itís out of the country, I add to my list a passport, but other than that, I keep it light. Just in case Iím mugged, or should lose the wallet

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I agree with HITCHKING. My CHL has gotten me out of a few tickets.

If you do leave it at home, as said by STICKS, keep the permit & gun together.

I carry ONE of my chl's with me. I do that for two reasons, it is great for a second form of photo ID, and I if driving would get pulled over or some other contact with a law enforcement officer I would be able to identify myself considering it wouldn't be my car and the registration would apply to another company considering I would have NO proof of insurance. (Ohio's has your photo). I do however leave credit cards home except the one I may use and my wife would carry a different one like already mentioned.

I fly regularly and having my carry license got me out of a jam. I left my driver's license in a different set of pants from when I flew home on Friday night. On Sunday I went back to the airport and discovered my license missing. Sure, I should have put it back in my wallet after I went through security, but I didn't.

Long story short, I used my carry license as ID for my trip that entire week. Without it, I would have had to go home to get my driver's license and miss my flight.

Unless you're really worried about getting it lost or stolen, I would (and do) carry it as a second form of ID.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I usually carry my CO permit and leave the FL permit in a drawer. If I go on a road trip involving states where the FL permit is legal (and the CO permit is not), I carry the FL permit.

When I have flown to visit either son (HI or NY, sheesh!), I have left everything at home, but IntrepidDad makes an excellent point, so I will henceforth always carry the CO permit.

Only one problem i see is in Texas if you get stopped by an LEO you are requied to show CHL with license whether you're carrying or not.So for me I keep it with my license and since i don't leave my drivers license at home it goes everywhere i go whether i'm armed or not and if i can be legally armed you can bet your "sweet bippy" i'm carrying

dukalmighty ... GS.411.205 of the Texas CHL Code says that you will surrender both forms of ID "IF" you are carrying, not otherwise. However, with that said it is always a good idea to do both in any case, it will put the officer at ease knowing you were going that extra mile. Just FYI.

And yes if I coudn't carry where I was traveling I would not stash my EDC in the my car at the airport, but yes I would also carry my ID regardless. Just my .02.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Utah State law requires that I carry my CFP whether carrying or not, I must also inform LE that I am a CFP holder whether or not I am carrying.

So yes, I carry my permit, always.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links