Do you alter your patterns for BG?

This is a discussion on Do you alter your patterns for BG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i agree , it is better to avoid the fight ,and to not take any chances , our mind is our greatest weapon.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you alter your patterns for BG?

i agree , it is better to avoid the fight ,and to not take any chances , our mind is our greatest weapon....

2. Remove Ads

Great replies. I was in no way implying we should "go looking for trouble". Heaven knows we have enough without looking. And, if we know for a fact there could be a confrontation we should avoid it at all costs. In this situation we don't really know there will be a confrontation; I guess we just know the odds are a little higher at this point in time.

What made me think of the scenario was my wife called the other day on her way home and needed some cash, she asked if I thought she should stop. I said no way, wait till in the morning and use a different teller. I thought it would make for an interesting conversation.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

If it were me, I would change my pattern and find a different ATM that I felt semi-safe using. I don't feel safe at any ATM, which is why I don't use them, but if you have to I would find a different one.
    ďThey who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or securityĒ Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Due to issues like this I basically never go to ATMs anymore. I just hop into a local supermarket, two of which are 24/7 places, and buy a pack of gum to get some cash with my purchase.

yeah while it's good to avoid an atm in a bad local, who"s to say the
    next atm would really be any safer. we all know, anyplace,anytime,
    anywhere. major thing is keep radar up and be as safe as possible.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Thumbs up Don't go looking for trouble...

Dad always told us not to go looking for trouble, or to spend time where we know trouble likes to hang out.

If trouble ends up finding you, then you've got to deal with it.

Good advice when I was in my teens, still valid today.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Do BGs stake out places to take you down? Absolutely.

I worked in NYC, off and on, between 1967& 1992, before Rudy cleaned it up. My office was in Mid Town Manhattan. I commuted in from NJ to either Port Authority Bus Terminal or Penn Station. If it was raining, I would usually take the subway but on nice days I walked.

Even though the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, I always varied my routes to & from the office by a block or two each time. I always picked up my coffee & bagle, but not from the same place. People who didn't were more likely to get mugged.

NY's Finest always had vulnerable looking decoys pretending to be commuters, walking across town from Penn Station or PA Bus Terminal. They got many more arrests after a decoy used the same route at the same time over a period of weeks.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

This is a good point and not the usual knee jerk reaction. The ATM is located in a place where it is known to have been hit several times and the BG's are still on the loose probably waiting to rob again. In this case it would be prudent to avoid putting yourself in such a situation and realistically determine if it is worth making changes to your routine. Just because you are carrying a gun doesn't mean you will be safe and without problems. Until the BG's are caught I would avoid it.

As I said this is different from the normal situation that people panic over where they have been blissfully going along totally ignorant of danger until something happens and then panic when something does. Much like people in New Orleans running out after Katrina to buy flood insurance. Didn't they think about flooding before then?

I can't remember the movie with Robin Williams where he was looking at a house to buy and while contemplating it a plane crashes into the house. He says to his wife we'll take it because I know we will be safe here. What are the odds of anything like this ever happening again?

Never go looking for trouble.

Just because you’re armed, does not mean your bullet proof.

Avoid the area, and since THUGs in your area are targeting ATMs, I would make a point to go to the bank during normal business hours, or as others have said, if you must use an ATM after-hours, use one at a grocery store, or other populated place.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I fully agree with not looking for trouble.

But what if you own a convenience store in a not so great part of town? Then you may not be actually looking for trouble, but if you think trouble is not going to come to you, you are being an idiot.

You just have to be as ready as you can. I am.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

dis-cre-tion (di skresh'en) n. 1. the freedom to make decisions 2. the quality of being prudent

If you have this quality in your personality...you are a fool not to exercise it in EVERY situation, at EVERY opportunity. Yes, change your behavior, your habits, your inclinations, your bank, even your lucky underwear. Use EVERY advantage at your disposal out-wit, out-maneuver or out-run the Bad Guys...before your option is limited only to out-shooting them.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I fully agree with not looking for trouble.

But what if you own a convenience store in a not so great part of town? Then you may not be actually looking for trouble, but if you think trouble is not going to come to you, you are being an idiot.

You just have to be as ready as you can. I am.
    Unfortunately, we can do our best to avoid trouble, but sometimes it's gonna find you, no matter how careful you are.

Just because you are careful to avoid known trouble spots, by no means should you relax your guard in 'safe' areas.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I can't remember the movie with Robin Williams where he was looking at a house to buy and while contemplating it a plane crashes into the house. He says to his wife we'll take it because I know we will be safe here. What are the odds of anything like this ever happening again?
    The World According to Garp (1982). Yep, remember that scene well. Though if the house were in the path of the local airport's landing pattern...
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Itís kind of like when I worked for Sheriffs department. If itís your job to be there, you have no choice.

All I can say is remember your first line of defense is being aware of our surroundings, and take steps ahead of time, to protect yourself.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Itís kind of like when I worked for Sheriffs department. If itís your job to be there, you have no choice.

All I can say is remember your first line of defense is being aware of our surroundings, and take steps ahead of time, to protect yourself.
    I totally agree. Sometimes, it is really hard to maintain good SA when you are running the register and are backed up with customers. Which is one reason at night we always close with 2 of us there (not that the other person is armed, so far just ME; but I am working on that). Although it's nice to be armed and ready, 99.9% of the time (or more) I find we have to watch for shoplifters, scammers, and counterfeiters. I guess it overall is a good way to practice your SA. But it is really tough keeping one eye on the register (when giving change) and the other on the person(s) in front of you (who sometimes wait till you aren't looking at them to filch stuff). You just can't turn your back on these people.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links