Do you alter your patterns for BG?

This is a discussion on Do you alter your patterns for BG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about this the last few days. I was watching the news the other night and there was a story about attempted armed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you alter your patterns for BG?

I've been thinking about this the last few days.

I was watching the news the other night and there was a story about attempted armed robberies in our area. I noticed on the screen was a picture of the ATM that I frequent. I have recently changed positions at work and no longer go by this particular ATM everyday but I still go there occasionally. The story was about two BGs who have attempted to rob people stopped at the ATM on three different occasions in the past two weeks. They also are believed to have attempted to rob two convenience stores within a mile of the ATM.

My question, do you carry on business as usual knowing you carry a weapon and should be able to defend yourself if need be or do you avoid the ATM and the next time you need cash and are in the area choose to go a few miles out of your way to meet your needs?

I haven't had to answer the question yet but I believe I will go to a different ATM till they catch the guys or I feel like enough time has passed and it is "safe" to go back there.

Have any of you had this situation occur?
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

If you KNOW that ATM...or any other site...is a confirmed trouble area, why risk going there?

If you have the chance to avoid a bad confrontation by knowing to avoid the place, then avoid it.

Best way to win a fight is to not be there. Yes, there are times when we don't get to pick or choose the location of the fight, because chance places us in the thick of it, but on those rare occasions where you DO get to choose, why choose to risk it?

My two yen...

-JT

Just because I carry doesn't mean I choose to go where I think there may be trouble. If at all possible I avoid going to the "bad areas" but I'm ready if I have to go there.

Of course, even in the "good areas" I try to be fully aware of my situatiuon.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

VIP Member
    The ATM I use most is not closed in but is on the corner of the bank building (walk up) and has a good field of view so I can see anyone approaching for quite some distance. I don't like using the drive up ATM, it's to restricting.

A couple times I have avoided stopping because things just didn't look right. If it's late and I must get cash, I'll use an ATM located inside a grocery store, they're are several that are open 24 hours here.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I agree we are not LEO or vigilantes as some anti's may paint us to be,we carry for self defense,we are more aware of our surroundings because of our heightened sense of alert,we do not go into bad parts of town hoping somebody will mess with us so we can teach them a lesson,and I believe we are smart enough to know that when an ATM or that area has been targeed we go to another ATM,

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    +1 Thumper! There is no sense in going into harm's way just because you are armed. Better to go where it's safe(er).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I had a similar situation present itself to me. I live in a small, very rural town with only a couple of convenience stores. The closest one to me, which is also the largest, has been robbed at gunpoint a few times. Which you'd think wouldn't happen in small town Vermont.

I questioned where I should do my local shopping after the last time it was robbed. Should I travel the extra mile to the other store? I finally decided I wasn't going to let a thug decide where I'd do my shopping. There were three reasons for this decision.

First, if enough people stopped shopping at the store, it would go out of business, yet another tragedy brought about by crime.
    The second reason is that the other store is only a mile down the road. There is nothing stopping the criminals from hitting that store too.
    The third reason is that if enough people changed their shopping habits and the smaller store became the busier one, it would become the new "prime" target.

None of this has anything to do with your situation with the ATM. It's not like you're going to put the bank out of business by going to a different branch. But it was similar enough I wanted to comment.

VIP Member
    I normally leave for work between 5:00 - 5:30 AM. The only ATM available at that time of the morning to me is a drive up at the bank. If there is another car there when I arrive, I wait at the rear of the drive for it to leave. As I pull up to the ATM I unholster my weapon, keeping it in my lap at ready. Once I have my cash in hand I proceed to an open area of the parking lot before putting my money away and reholstering my gun. Do I consider that paranoid action? No. Just being very pro active.

Ron
    The ATM we use is outside the bank in a very well lighted strip mall, but even so I avoid going there at night. Even though I am armed, why look for potential problems, if they can be fairly easily avoided.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

As Archer said, it isn't being paranoic, it's being safe, cautious and avoiding trouble, which is always the best plan. But just as avoidance is the best plan ... preparation and training to anticipate, recognize and stop the threat. If that means driving away all the better, if it means "stopping" the threat so be it. But as we all know there is an attorney behind every round we fire!!! AVOID if possible.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Administrator
    Well, when you keep in mind that ANY confrontation can go terribly wrong - no matter if you're armed or not then it's wise to avoid known troublesome areas and situations that pose a greater likelihood of danger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    avoid trouble when at all possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstogo View Post
    My question, do you carry on business as usual knowing you carry a weapon and should be able to defend yourself if need be or do you avoid the ATM and the next time you need cash and are in the area choose to go a few miles out of your way to meet your needs?
    Yes, I absolutely make minor alterations to destination/schedule based on known facts, based on the "little hairs" rising on the back of my neck, based on not knowing an environment well enough. I think I would be stupid to not do that.

Be careful, though, about inferring the wrong conclusion about cause/effect.

Who's to say what the actual factors were in each confirmed assault or robbery at that location? Was the victim a sheep in condition white? Was the victim otherwise tuned "out" while using an iPod, cell phone or something else? Was the victim taking any precautions to avoid attack, such as using a car to head to the drive-up ATM, heading to a branch where the drive-up ATM has a stout concrete wall as a backdrop along with an easy exit? Keeping the doors locked and (most) windows rolled up, while using the ATM? Did the victim have a lookout sitting in the car to monitor any suspicious inbound characters?

The reality is: SHTF anywhere, anytime. Though, my guess is that each of these victims added their own little something, which was all that the criminal needed to gain the upper hand.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I agree we are not LEO or vigilantes as some anti's may paint us to be,we carry for self defense,we are more aware of our surroundings because of our heightened sense of alert,we do not go into bad parts of town hoping somebody will mess with us so we can teach them a lesson,and I believe we are smart enough to know that when an ATM or that area has been targeed we go to another ATM,
    +1 could not have said it better myself!

TDPalmer

Don't use ATM's...everything is direct deposit and the local bank has a drive-thru that I use during the daylight hours with other cars around...much safer.
    Why would I want to use an ATM, at night, alone? Should I also wear a please rob me sign?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links