Going to New Orleans West Side area

This is a discussion on Going to New Orleans West Side area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I will be going to NO this summer to be involved with some mission work with our church. We will be staying ...

Thread: Going to New Orleans West Side area

My wife and I will be going to NO this summer to be involved with some mission work with our church. We will be staying in the West Side area over night for housing ator near the church. What is the West Side area like? What should my awareness be? How prepared should I (we) be? Any help or knowledge would be great.

Thanks,

Brian

I don't know about the westside, but I've got a friend who moved here to get away from that cesspool. He said God sent the flood to cleanse the area, but didn't quite get the job done. Please be careful, and thanks for helping others.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

West side? Do you mean the West Bank? The West Bank's not so bad, especially now that the Fisher projects are gone.

Although I've lived long enough in Texas that I consider myself a Texan now, I'm from New Orleans and I adore the place—warts and all—with all my heart. I'd like to thank you for going there to help make a difference. The city has so much to offer, I really hope you enjoy your mission there.

Certainly be smart, but don't be unduly worried. As long as you're not a 19 year-old drug dealer, the odds of you getting hurt aren't much different from most other metro areas.

yours/
    peter.

Do you mean the West End, which is on the lake at the Orleans/Jefferson parish (county) line?

Right now, all of metro New Orleans is dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Carry and be alert, but I wouldn't be any more concerned than in walking through any other major city. If it looks like a bad street, don't go down it, know where you are headed before you leave, and don't get sucked in by any pandhandlers (there are quite a few). Otherwise, don't sweat it. New Orleans isn't the safest city in the country, but a little situational awareness goes a long way.

FYI, open carry is legal in LA, but don't bother, especially in the city. There are enough cops that don't like that section of law to make trouble for you. And church carry is illegal altogether.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Yes... it is the West Bank. I did a bit of research on the mission trip and host church and found the area today during lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-Mc View Post
    Yes... it is the West Bank. I did a bit of research on the mission trip and host church and found the area today during lunch.
    Do you know where in particular? Gretna? Algiers? Some of the areas down there are pretty seedy, but if you stay alert, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Not 100% exact where we will be doing most of the mission. I just want to make sure my wife will be safe if something does go down. I would not expect anything to be too crazy while doing the mission.

I wouldn't go around unarmed, but that's true for pretty much any unfamiliar big city.

GPS
    Be aware that Louisiana does not allow CCW in churches. So if you are staying on church property, the firearm would have to stay locked in the car while on the property to stay legal. And as was already mentioned, almost everywhere in the metro area is questionable now.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

Links