Votes: 67 24.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Yes, she carries more than I do.

Votes: 16 5.8%

Does your wife carry?

5K views 64 replies 58 participants last post by  Sky Pilot 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a quick poll to find out if your wife (sorry, but wives only) carries.

#4 ·
Yes, she carries a .38 snubbie, but usually in her purse. I'm working on getting her to carry on her person, but style and fashion seems to be more important to her than choosing clothes that more easily conceal a firearm. We will be trying out a Kahr PM9 for her soon though, that may help change her mind. I have been reading about the new Ruger LCP also, but to me, .380 is just not enough gun, but I guess it's better than a .38 in a purse that just got snatched.

Ron

#5 ·
I voted no, but thinking about it. I've just now been able to get her to carry OC and a jungle dart. It wasn't easy...she keeps giving me the old "I'm not going to live in fear" crap. I don't want to push her too hard as she may start to reject the idea outright. I'll give her a little while to settle in with the OC and dart and then gradually begin to suggest she get her permit. I have to use baby steps with her as she tends to be set in her ways.

#6 ·
Finally took her class a few weeks ago. Waiting on her card now.

We're shopping for her carry gun now.......that's kind of fun! :danceban:

#7 ·
Years in progress though

After years of trying, I fonally got her in a class and she's got her non-res Florida and her non-res Utah. A huge downside to this story is that we currently live in Illinois so we can only carry when were over in Missouri shopping or out of state on vacation. The up side is that we are planning to move within the year!

#9 ·
She's thinking about it. The first time she fired a gun was in February, but since then we have been making trips to the range every weekend. She needs some more practice before she takes the class. I am sure she could pass it, but we feel like she should have more experience before she takes the course. On the plus side, she bought her first pistol last week...I even made her fill out the paperwork herself. So, we're getting there.

#10 ·
Yup. She carries more than I do. I work at a nuke plant, and we are not allowed to bring them on the property, let alone carry. The guards carry Beretta M9's and Bushmasters. They also have access to shotguns, and are allowed by law to have full-auto weapons, but they don't (to the best of my knowledge).

#11 ·
I said "never," and I hope I'm wrong, but that's how it looks for now. She's got that whole "it'll never happen to me, that doesn't happen around here" attitude.

She just asked the other day if I walk around in fear all the time and I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "No, and that's precisely because I'm prepared to defend myself." (I'd already lost the 'discussion' by then so it would have been pointless.)

As a subscriber I know on another forum has said, "A gun is not the answer to all your self-defense needs, but when you need a gun, you really need a gun."

#12 ·
She won't carry. We've looked at alot of pocket pistols from 22lr to .380. She's just not comfortable with the idea or the pistols. She does have some K.A. pepper spray though. Gets me to thinking I should carry some form of non-lethal self defense tool also.

#14 ·
Having a pistol is worthless, unless you have the mindset and training to use it. While she loves to go pinking with her 22, and she says she would use it to protect herself at home, I do not believe she has the attitude to use it.

That being said; having a firearm and not using it can get you in more trouble than not having one.

So her pistol stays at home, and there is no reason to get a CCL.

#21 ·
My gf doesnt want to get her permit before she gets into a teaching job because her dad and herself think that they might look at it the wrong way when doing a background check and not hire her.
Unless the school paperwork demands to know if you own/carry a gun, what makes you think that a CCW would show up on a "background check"?

TTBOMK, a background check should include any criminal activity only. They might do a credit check too, to see if she pays her bills, but I can't imagine that having a CCW license would show up.

I can't say what they do do or not, as none of the corporate jobs that my Wife or I ever had even did a background check first (exception was the jobs where I had a DOD/NRC/USNavy security clearance). My Wife was a teacher in two states but that was a very long time ago . . . if you were breathing, had a BS and a teaching certificate they could hire you. Even the computer support job I took at a college in 2001 didn't require any background check, and it was an all female college (even very few male staff).

As to my Wife, she only became interested in shooting recently (few years ago), although she's had her permit for ~30 years (at my insistence). Just a week ago she expressed interest in a small carry gun, but I don't believe that she is anywhere near ready to carry a gun . . . typical female behavior of dropping her purse on the floor by the front door, anytime she enters anyone's house and I can't see her ever wearing a concealed holster on her person, plus she's nowhere near proficient with a handgun (she owns/shoots a .22 target gun most of the time, her .38 revolver and 9mm Glock only some of the time due to pain in her hands - carpal tunnel). After two outings with my Ruger 10/22 she's deadly accurate with it and really likes it, but it's a bit too big to conceal :smile: (and illegal to carry any long gun on a public way in this state).

#17 ·
I selected "no, but thinking about it". She is a vocal supporter of gun rights, but she has been a little hesitant to handle them. I don't want to pressure her, so I've left her alone aside from the random gun conversation about this or that.

She signed up for a Pistol Level I class, and has started talking about asking the instructor for help picking out a pistol. She's partial to revolvers, and the Lady Smith in particular. Once she has that and we can spend some quality time at the range together, I'm hoping she will enjoy it and start looking into CCW.

#19 ·
Selected "No, But thinking about it." She used to carry a Browning Hi Power years ago but sold it when she moved to Florida. Hasn't shot in about 10 years. Now it's one of those "yes, some day" things. Just not high on her priority list I guess. I'm not going to push her because we all know how well pushing our wives to do something works....:icon_neutral:

#45 ·
Well apparently Satan was in Sears recently and was seen buying a coat, a hat, and gloves...

My wife started taking her .32 KelTec with her almost everywhere she goes...I love it...:yup:

#25 ·
I think worrying about whether or not a CHL will show up on a background check is like worrying about if my Navy Security Clearance will show up...

As a side note, my wife teaches chemistry and biology and she was looking at moving to a closer school district. There have already been 4 schools that asked her not to put in her application to the district until a certain moment so that they can hire her first. I'm thinking that the school districts are trying too hard to get teachers to worry about if that teacher is licensed to carry a gun.

I'm willing to bet a large portion of this forum has background checks done on them for gov't sites or other places where weapons aren't allowed(me included), and I doubt anybody has ever been turned down for a job because they can carry a weapon. I know some have turned down jobs because they couldn't carry there, but never heard of it happening the other way around.

#28 ·
I think worrying about whether or not a CHL will show up on a background check is like worrying about if my Navy Security Clearance will show up...
One day I asked my chief if any background check would show my past (or anyone's current) security clearances and his answer was "No, never". The databases that the US Gov't (and military) use to store this info is never co-mingled with the civilian side databases.

I would not worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.