Got denied entry to a bank today... - Page 3

Got denied entry to a bank today...

This is a discussion on Got denied entry to a bank today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never make it thru any metal detector, armed or not. Two large key-rings, Wilderness Instructor Belt with large/heavy metal (steel, I'd guess) buckle, etc. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got denied entry to a bank today...

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I never make it thru any metal detector, armed or not. Two large key-rings, Wilderness Instructor Belt with large/heavy metal (steel, I'd guess) buckle, etc.

I doubt that I'm alone here, failing to see how this is effective at any ongoing business! I would have read the sign very carefully on my way out, called someone in their executive offices and demanded an explanation . . . no need to mention firearms.

I only know of one bank that might have had an airlock security system, and only because it was a "private bank" (not really open to the public unless you were one of their wealthy clients). Never went in, but did walk by it in Downtown Boston many years ago.

If a bank really needs an airlock for security, it's obviously in a VERY bad part of town and I have no desire to get out of my car in such an area or delay myself for more than a stop sign or traffic light before getting out of Dodge!

I carry open and concealed in my bank. If they deny me, I remove my money and go somewhere else
    Sure you do.
    Personally, I think it is pretty good that banks have metal detectors such as these...obviously to deter bank robberies. No issues here.
    What else do you think the bank should do with all the excess funds they get from earning interest on your money? They've already spent the limit on coffee, donuts, cameras, furniture, tanning salon memberships, and plastic trees.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Personally, I think it is pretty good that banks have metal detectors such as these...obviously to deter bank robberies. No issues here.

Rick
    20 - 60 - 20

20% of the population will never steal

60% of the population will steal some of the time

20% of the population will steal all of the time.

These metal detectors are to deter a portion of the 60% group (just like locks only keep the honest people out) The tighter the security (stronger or bigger the lock) the fewer of the 60% are going to do something.

To the OP - Go back and read what the sign says when you have time, and see what the deal is.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    I carry open and concealed in my bank. If they deny me, I remove my money and go somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by RamRod
    Sure you do.
    In Virginia he most likely does. It is not unusual to see folks carrying in a bank. Just because you can't open carry in a bank doesn't mean he can't.

I also don't do business with banks that don't let me carry, and require some "biometric security" to get my money. One bank around my area was requiring thumb prints to cash checks. They are gone now. I would say a bank that puts up an automatic locking metal detector device doesn't want my business as cupcake found out.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I wonder if there was additional information on the sign that would be helpful in understanding their objective and method?
    I've been thinking the same. Not sure if I can make it back there this week, but I'll get back there when I'm not in such a hurry so I can read everything and check it out more thoroughly. I think I recall seeing something about "one at a time." Maybe that meant in the airlock, not just the metal detector. Maybe I'll take a tape measure and see if there is a wheel chair entry. I've gotta go back and get more info, If I don't check back in for a while I will probably have been picked up for "casing" the joint.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    In Virginia he most likely does. It is not unusual to see folks carrying in a bank. Just because you can't open carry in a bank doesn't mean he can't.

I also don't do business with banks that don't let me carry, and require some "biometric security" to get my money. One bank around my area was requiring thumb prints to cash checks. They are gone now. I would say a bank that puts up an automatic locking metal detector device doesn't want my business as cupcake found out.
    I was referring to him removing his money and going somewhere else to do business.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    True. Won't stop robberies, only move them to the parking lot, where the good guys will be disarmed.
    To the bank, that's preferred. They're "no longer liable" in that scenario.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Could you imagine the line at Wal-mart if they had TSA style metal detectors and security!!! Then you get to the cashier and say they made me leave my roll of quarters outside.
    ROLL of quarters? Heck, I bring $500.00 worth of quarters to deposit in my bank (I run a coin op laundromat) -- if they put in a door locking metal detector they would lose a TON of business from me and would hear all about moving all my business to a more sane bank, and why.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Cupcake,
    If you get picked up for casing the bank let us know.
    We will bake you a cake. HA HA.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yeah, and we'll put a hacksaw blade in it, too.....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sure you do.
    Huh??

I do exactly that. No business gets my business if it attempts to disallow my ability to defend myself. Banks are just Wal-Marts, in the sense they have a product, a percentage, and a facility where they engage their customers. There's nothing special about a bank, in that sense. Some care, some don't. Just like any other type of business. Either way, I'll go about my life in my way, not subject to petty, inane policies by those that don't want my business.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 19th, 2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spellin'
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post

Rick
    And I agree, a bank I use to deal with had the same door system, because they had been robbed so many times. I was not about to go in there unarmed, so I just used the drive in windows.

You may also note “use to use”. I moved our accounts to the credit union. They have a full time deputy, and no security doors.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geds View Post
    Ok, let's see if I can defeat this security system in 2 seconds so I can rob the bank:
    If it's like the bank I have seen do this, it won't work. One person in the metal detector vestibule at a time. Inner door doesn't get opened until outer door is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Until you have a BG dress like a cop and they just buzz him through. Or, <insert other random ways to defeat this>
    Oh, I didn't say it was perfect security. It is, however, better than an unarmed security guard and it is better than a posted piece of paper (or a state law) that says Good Guys must disarm. At least this is an attempt at keeping badguys from bringing in guns.

The way I see it, it's like putting the Club on your car. It doesn't make it impossible to steal your car, but it makes it possibly enough harder that the thief goes to a different car.

The fact of the matter is, the bank does not, apparently, have a posted no-guns sign. This means the possibility of explaining to the bank manager that you are legally allowed to carry and would like to continue using his bank, and thus being buzzed in anyway, exists. Maybe not realistically, but it does exist.

And if I were in a state like NC that has banks listed as no-carry zones, then I would want my bank to do something like this so that some of the badguys might be kept out, too.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Huh??

I do exactly that. No business gets my business if it attempts to disallow my ability to defend myself. Banks are just Wal-Marts, in the sense they have a product, a percentage, and a facility where they engage their customers. There's nothing special about a bank, in that sense. Some care, some don't. Just like any other type of business. Either way, I'll go about my life in my way, not subject to petty, inane policies by those that want my business.
    Agree totally. I carry in my bank and feel it is the number one place i SHOULD carry. If my bank denied me, I'd move my money somewhere else. I've been at this bank for 30 years.
    If anyone thinks it's a good idea to ban guns in a bank, why only a bank? Why not Walmart or Mcdonalds? They get robbed too.

I couldn't even say with certainty that it was posted. Like I said, I was in an unusual hurry and barely put 2+2 together when the red light came on. I'll know more hopefully by the end of the week.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links