Got denied entry to a bank today...

This is a discussion on Got denied entry to a bank today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Circumstances today forced me to go to a bank in an area where I normally drive right through. As I walked in the first vestibule ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got denied entry to a bank today...

Circumstances today forced me to go to a bank in an area where I normally drive right through. As I walked in the first vestibule door I caught part of a sign that said something about metal detector. In my hurry I didn't really read it but I noticed that I was, indeed, walking through a metal detector. I ignored it mostly because I was doing nothing wrong, but did have my kel-tec P3AT and a spare mag on me. (off topic, but I have to give HUGE kudos to the kel-tec for comfort of carry and the ease of hiding it and a spare mag). As I passed the detector and reached the 2nd vestibule door, an right light lit up and the door locked (or maybe just didn't un-lock). Either way it wouldn't open. If there was ever a place that I wasn't going to cash a check and walk unarmed from the bank to my car it was this place. I got in my car and sat in the very slow drive through line, having done the "ghetto tuck" so my coat and cover garment were out of the way.

Not really posting this to whine, just to chat about an interesting experience. Never heard of one of these before. No operator that I could see, pretty sure that it was automatic. Whad'ya do if you're an old lady with a cane or walker?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I carry open and concealed in my bank. If they deny me, I remove my money and go somewhere else
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Personally, I think it is pretty good that banks have metal detectors such as these...obviously to deter bank robberies. No issues here.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Personally, I think it is pretty good that banks have metal detectors such as these...obviously to deter bank robberies.
    They also appear to deter legitimate customers, as was true in this case. Locked him out completely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Personally, I think it is pretty good that banks have metal detectors such as these...obviously to deter bank robberies. No issues here.

Rick
    other than if banks ban it, then Wal marts, then Lowes, then 7-11, then where do we carry besides in our house? they are outlawed in court houses, that does not deter them, seen a few people get inside and start shooting the place up. They are forbidden in federal buildings, so they use bombs, outlawed in post offices, still had postal employees shot and killed, outlawed in schools and kids kill kids in school. Cant see how banning from banks is going to stop bank roberies. Just my .02
    Think twice
    Buy once!

True. Won't stop robberies, only move them to the parking lot, where the good guys will be disarmed.

I was actually with my wife, and was wondering if we could circumvent the system by walking in the first door together, she walks through the detector, opens the next door, then I walk through. The light might light, but the door would already be open. Might have to test that one day for fun...

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I'm reminded of the Far Side comic in which a student is attempting to enter the School for the Talented and Gifted by pushing on the door labeled 'pull'.

But seriously, does the KelTec have enough metal to set off a detector? I just pulled mine out of my pocket to look and it seems that a good sized belt buckle, a bunch of keys, a pocket knife, a zippo lighter, or many other commonly carried items would have just as much metal as a P-3AT.

A cane, huh? Aren't they required to have wheel-chair access?

Rick
    How might they deter robberies. I know of several robberies that were pulled off without the use of a gun.

This is feel good nonsense and I agree with a previous post, if my bank did this I would do my banking elsewhere.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I'm reminded of the Far Side comic in which a student is attempting to enter the School for the Talented and Gifted by pushing on the door labeled 'pull'.

But seriously, does the KelTec have enough metal to set off a detector? I just pulled mine out of my pocket to look and it seems that a good sized belt buckle, a bunch of keys, a pocket knife, a zippo lighter, or many other commonly carried items would have just as much metal as a P-3AT.

A cane, huh? Aren't they required to have wheel-chair access?

Very, Very good points. All I know for sure is that the red light turned on, the door didn't open, and now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that a wheelchair wouldn't even fit through there.

VIP Member
    Doesn't make sense that they would generalize on anyone that walked in with something else that would set off the alarm. Lots of other things besides a gun will set it off. Since you weren't checked or asked anything, it just makes no sense.

well this might open a can of worms ? but any private company has the right to allow or not allow carry , and it is wrong to force them to do otherwise , you and i too want to be able to say who can carry on our premises ? i on the other hand have the right to not patronize them if they don't allow me to use my 2nd amendment rights , just like one day i walked into verizon wireless , the woman said can i help you , i said maybe not i just now saw your no handgun carry sign and i am packing , she said well you can take it back out to the car and come back in , i said no you don't undersand i am not welcome anyplace my handgun isn't , i bet she is still trying to figure that one out

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Very, Very good points. All I know for sure is that the red light turned on, the door didn't open, and now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that a wheelchair wouldn't even fit through there.
    Ah hah! Not ADA compliant. As a building contractor I can say that the doors must be a minimum of 36" clear opening. Mmm, to bad a wheel chair packer does not try to get in then huh?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Doesn't make sense that they would generalize on anyone that walked in with something else that would set off the alarm. Lots of other things besides a gun will set it off. Since you weren't checked or asked anything, it just makes no sense.

Didn't give them a chance to stop me or ask any questions. Door didn't open, walked right out. I'm a fairly clean guy and generally appear non-threatening. If I just stood there and shrugged at them as if to ask "what the heck?" they might've just buzzed me in. Kinda like the self-scanner at the grocery store. It always says "unauthorized item in the bagging area." The cashier doesn't check the bags, just overrides it and lets you continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Ah hah! Not ADA compliant. As a building contractor I can say that the doors must be a minimum of 36" clear opening. Mmm, to bad a wheel chair packer does not try to get in then huh?
    NO WAY was it 36". Maybe I could keep a wheelchair in tha trunk as a cover garment....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkbill View Post
    well this might open a can of worms ? but any private company has the right to allow or not allow carry , and it is wrong to force them to do otherwise , you and i too want to be able to say who can carry on our premises ? i on the other hand have the right to not patronize them if they don't allow me to use my 2nd amendment rights , just like one day i walked into verizon wireless , the woman said can i help you , i said maybe not i just now saw your no handgun carry sign and i am packing , she said well you can take it back out to the car and come back in , i said no you don't undersand i am not welcome anyplace my handgun isn't , i bet she is still trying to figure that one out
    yes anyone has the right not to allow ccw, but the bank wasnt posted and the door locked before anyone even asked him what he had on him.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    How might they deter robberies. I know of several robberies that were pulled off without the use of a gun.

This is feel good nonsense and I agree with a previous post, if my bank did this I would do my banking elsewhere.
    I said "deter"...not stop. I vote for the protection of the teller before my concern for carrying...

I find it interesting though...those that advocate carrying rights for self-protection and to be a 'deterent'. But a bank has no rights to do the same...interesting dychonimy.

Rick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links