Defensive Carry banner

Do you wear your rig at home

5K views 67 replies 58 participants last post by  stormbringerr 
#1 ·
I feel pretty comfortable when im in my house, but i live out in the middle of no were and have had 2 breaking and entering issues in the last year. No one was home at the time but who is to say it wont happen when im home. I have a wife and and 6 month old baby girl. Am i out of place to have my rig on me tell i go to bed??

#28 ·
I used to catch crap from my family. I wear a G23 IWB until abt 2 hrs before bed. Then it is on a coffee table within 3 ft of me. My mom used to say "Why do you have to carry that thing all the time, nothing happens here....until her regular grocery store got robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight. She has to ask if I'm carrying because she cant tell. Needless to say she doesnt mind anymore. My g/f id fine with it....and could no tell abt the first three times we went out, until i showed her when it came up inconversation. To which she replied "well that makes me feel even more safe when I'm with you."

#29 ·
If you're in the middle of nowhere I would make sure your wife knows how to shoot and that she carries when you're not home . I carry a .40 cal Astra when I'm working around my house or garage . I live in a decent area but you never know !!!!!! I refuse to be a victim !!! (you walk in, you're carried out) .

#31 ·
If the pants I'm wearing at the time, has pockets. Its gauranteed to be a pistol in one of those pockets.

#35 ·
Living out in the sticks; if it make you feel safer to strap some leather on first thing in the morning, then I highly recommend it.

Back when some friends and I use to lease thousands of acres for hunting and fishing, I did.

Sometime, my wife and I would go camping, during the off season, and being the only humans within 10 square miles, I would strapped my 44 magnum Ruger six shooter on my hit the first thing in the morning, and took it off when I went to bed.

At home, I don’t see a reason to. But, my Glock is always nearby. :urla9ub:

#38 ·
Absolutely. I forget where I read it (might even have been around here):

Why do I carry at home? Seems like that's where most home invasions occur.

Talking with my sister recently, and she's considering doing the same. She and her husband are both retired USMC, so they're pretty well prepared, but she told me of an incident where a guy on a quad came up their looong rural driveway just to look around (very rural Northern Virginia) while she was in the yard with the two small kids, and she started wondering what she would do if it had been trouble and she had to get to the house quickly with the kids.

Absolutely, I carry at home.

#39 ·
Me, too

Before the baby, I usually kept whatever I was wearing on or around until I went to bed. Now I drop my sidearm into a fast-access safe and keep my everyday BUG, a Kel Tec P32, in my pocket around the house. Bigger stuff is in the bedroom or office safe.

#41 ·
I wear it at home for two reasons:

1) Security of having a weapon close at hand, if I need it.

2) Don't have to fool with putting it on and taking it off for quick trips outside the home. I get dressed, I put it on. Half the time, the holster is still attached to the belt anyways, from the day before.

#43 ·
Am i out of place to have my rig on me tell i go to bed??
You're completely sane and rational. It's a simple fact that you're less able to defend yourself when disarmed. The more control you can have over your means of protection is a good thing, whether that be a hardened perimeter, a secure ensconced position from which to defend your family, keeping your sidearm with you, having quick access to your firearms during the night, etc.

#44 ·
A slight digression, but you'll get the idea:

As a pilot, we are taught three points:

1) There is nothing more useless than the runway behind you.
2) There is nothing more useless than the altitude above you.
3) There is nothing more useless than the gas you left in the big tank at the airport.

I will add a fourth:

4) There is nothing more useless than the gun you can't reach in an emergency.

'nuf said?

#67 ·
Add to that:
. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.

. There are two kinds of retractable gear pilots, those that have landed gear up and those that will.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to create the analogy to the gun user.

License: Private Pilot - Airplane Single Engine Land

#45 ·
Yes, I wear it all the time. When my five year old grandson comes by he always wants to know if Papa has his gun on so I pull up my shirt and say "sure". Then he usually wants to start a discussion on calibers. Honest, this kid knows a lot about weapons. His dad is an avid hunter and he has got quite a bit of info from me. I think he would make a great marine but he is committed to becomming a cowboy.

#47 ·
Usually take it off as soon as I get home. Feel I live in a fairly safe place and the stats prove it.

Crime in my town by Year
Type 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
Murders 0 1 0 0 0 0

Rapes 0 0 0 0 0 0

Robberies0 0 0 0 0 0

Assaults 6 16 8 1 2 6

Burglaries7 1 8 8 3 2

Thefts 7 9 3 1 3 0

Auto thefts0 0 0 1 0 0

Arson 0 0 0 0 0 0

99% of assults are domestic in nature.

#48 ·
As soon as I arrive home, my HG is usually on the end table beisde my recliner, so it is always close at home, if i go out it slips back onto my hip. And I must nominate my SO (code for wife not safety officer) for the spouse of the year. She has her P99 besider her in her purse, while home and away from home and just put a new set of Pacymiers on her J-frame and "almost" outshot Reborn. Did I mention she "encouraged" me to buy a new DPMS M-4 a month ago(I was playing hard to get). Out of the box it is fantastic, but then again so is she. I can see the potential for a good topic here too.

#49 ·
I've said before and I'll say again; I feel that I am more likely to need a firearm on my farm, specifically in my castle, than I am away from it.

Since I lounge in my jeans and boots, nothing really changes for me until bed-time.

#52 ·
I wear mine.

#53 ·
I wear my rig 100% while awake...keep it on the nightstand within arm's reach while sleeping. You never know when the ball will open and you'll be asked to dance.

#55 ·
I put mine on when I get dressed in the morning, take it off when going to bed. I wear it around the house, the barn, on the tractor, in the skid steer, and every place else I go all day where it is legal to do so - which is near enough to everyplace here in PA.

Home is the most likely place to need a weapon for most people. Reading the self defense stories on this forum, a huge percentage of them are related to protecting one's self from home invaders.

That is especially true for single females under 40 living alone and all pregnant women. Single women with a CCW should always carry at home. No question about it.

In addition, when getting started with CCW, breaking in a new holster, trying out a new carry piece, or trying a different carry variation, around home is the perfect place to do that. When in the bathroom, pretend you are in a stall at Home Depot, practice handling the gun like you would have to in a stall.

So yes, carrying at home is a very good plan, and no, it isn't being paranoid, it is being prepared to defend your self and those close to you which is why you got the CCW in the first place.

Fitch

#63 ·
As Jeff Cooper stated in "Principles..."

"There are those who will object to the mood this instruction generates. They will complain that they do not wish to 'live like that.' They are under no obligation to do so."

BTW...my fire extinguisher is handy; it's just a little too heavy to wear.:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.