Do you wear your rig at home - Page 5

Do you wear your rig at home

This is a discussion on Do you wear your rig at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd say you'd be wise to wear your gun until your retire for the night....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do you wear your rig at home

I'd say you'd be wise to wear your gun until your retire for the night.

If I'm wearing clothes, I've got my firearm on. If I'm not, then its within reach.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I confess I am stunned at how many people remain armed at home. Not to make a judgement here, but the threat of a "home invasion" is miniscule. IMHO you're more likely to need a fire extinguisher than a gun. How many carry one of those around the house?
    As Jeff Cooper stated in "Principles..."

"There are those who will object to the mood this instruction generates. They will complain that they do not wish to 'live like that.' They are under no obligation to do so."

BTW...my fire extinguisher is handy; it's just a little too heavy to wear.

NOPE

No longer allowed, it is now illegal. weapon must now by law be stored securely at all times in the safe ! and when being transported it has to be secured by cable !!

The Sheep Rule
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I confess I am stunned at how many people remain armed at home. Not to make a judgement here, but the threat of a "home invasion" is miniscule. IMHO you're more likely to need a fire extinguisher than a gun. How many carry one of those around the house?
    I won't try to answer for everyone.
    I carry around the house mostly because it makes me more effective at carrying in public. Concealed carry has two main aspects (more, really, but let's not get silly!).
    First you must find where/how the gun rides most comfortably on your person, so you can find a holster that successfully accomplishes that without detracting from that comfort level. That comfort level may well be a lack of discomfort at best.
    Second, you have to wear it enough to learn to move around it, with it, sometimes in spite of it. These "practice sessions" are much easier to accomplish at home, where you can shift the holster/belt/privates/?/whatever, than under public scrutiny at Wal-Mart or the SuperMall. Once you have achieved a reasonable (you-can-live-with-it) level of comfort, there should be no problem wearing it around the house, so why not? If you can't mow the yard with it, you haven't found the appropriate comfort zone. I lean to the left now if mine's missing . Everyone's weight changes day-to-day, and even 2 or 3 pounds difference can change the way it feels/rides, but if the gun is on you always you will adapt continuously without even being aware.
    I have four kids and about a dozen-and-a-half "adopted" ones, and it's so much a part of me they only notice if it's missing - even if they don't know Uncle Chuck's packin'. (I always seem to have at least one leaning on me, sitting by me, or just grabbing me to hug me. Go figure; I don't even LIKE kids!) My kids will snuggle up against me to watch TV or read, adjust themselves and/or push the grip out of their ribs, and never even give it a thought. The last thing I want is for one of my "other" kids (other people's kids) to run up to me in public, grab me to give me a hug, and say "What's THAT, Uncle Chuck?"
    In short, I guess the best reason to "tote" it around the house is practical more than tactical, unless you live in a high-crime area or you're a personality in danger of kidnap/stalkers/whatever.
    Of course, on the farm is a whole 'nuther matter .

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I carry at home until I go to bed. I used to switch to a .380 but I now stick with my .40 Sig or Baby Eagle.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    A slight digression, but you'll get the idea:

As a pilot, we are taught three points:

1) There is nothing more useless than the runway behind you.
    2) There is nothing more useless than the altitude above you.
    3) There is nothing more useless than the gas you left in the big tank at the airport.

I will add a fourth:

4) There is nothing more useless than the gun you can't reach in an emergency.

'nuf said?
    Add to that:
    . There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.

. There are two kinds of retractable gear pilots, those that have landed gear up and those that will.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to create the analogy to the gun user.

License: Private Pilot - Airplane Single Engine Land
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    yep, me too ( just to add to the numbers )...I find that it's simply easier to keep it on all day than to put it on and take it off evertime I'm in and out the door.
    i agree,i dont see any reason to take it off at home. its not uncomfortable to me. i put my gun on nightstand when i retire for the night....its that simple
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links