Shoot Me Vest Issue resolved IMHO

This is a discussion on Shoot Me Vest Issue resolved IMHO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper I like what Massad Ayoob says on the subject... "After all these years, I've only found one case of anyone "getting ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot Me Vest Issue resolved IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I like what Massad Ayoob says on the subject...

"After all these years, I've only found one case of anyone "getting shot first" because they were wearing vests. It is found in the very first Star Wars movie. The rebel bodyguards of Princess Leia are all wearing a uniform that includes a black vest which looks remarkably like something from Concealed Carry Clothiers. When the Imperial Storm Troopers led by Darth Vader attack their ship, the Storm Troopers blast every rebel so dressed."

That is hilarious.

I'm still a little too sketched on looking like I'm carrying to wear a "tactical" vest, but around here nobody looks twice at anything that says Carhartt on it.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Stewart View Post
    Here here. I get so tired of seeing people say that vests and fanny packs scream "gun" at people. I've worn both and never gotten even a second glance from anyone in the general public, including LEO's.
    The only ones that the vests scream gun to are other gun guys... 95% of the non-shooting public has never even heard of a shooting vest.

Every time that I see someone at the grocery store with a "photographers vest" on, I smile... They just screamed gun at me and no one else.

VIP Member
    Miggy,

I run into the same sheep all the time.....& without fail the only ones that say anything about my vest ask me if I'm going fishing or where did I get it, they need a good fishing vest.

The people I see regularly are used to wearing vests & if I'm not wearing one...they ask me where my vest is?????
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Isn't fishing with a gun dangerous?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Oh.....That's what Obama meant about fishing?

"...........And so I respect the right of lawful gun owners to hunt, fish, protect their families."
    Guess he's more observant than we all thought, eh?

Personally, I think they look a little goofy when not on a Trout stream...just my .02.......

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    The only ones that the vests scream gun to are other gun guys... 95% of the non-shooting public has never even heard of a shooting vest.

Every time that I see someone at the grocery store with a "photographers vest" on, I smile... They just screamed gun at me and no one else.
    So can we expect some poor innocent real photographers to be taken out first?

I find that most sheep won't even see you as you walk by. They are way to involved in their cellphone, blackberry, laptop, or simply themselves to hardly ever notice a vest. I think we all call that contition "White". If you don't believe this find a seat at the local mall and see all those who walk by that will never make eye contact with you or ever look your way.

We had a guy walk into our church several time in August, in Texas wearing a black duster type coat, only our security team (including Reborn) and myself ever saw him. ... Nuff said!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I don't wear a "shooter's vest" per se. They are a little to "tacticool" for my tastes. I do have a couple of Columbia fleece vests that I wear that offer good concealment during the colder months.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    "You are going fishing today?
    So did you?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Isn't fishing with a gun dangerous?
    A little OT, but once in Alaska when the kings were running I saw a spot where a bunch of cars were parked...obviously fishermen. So I grabbed my little Opie pole and after a trek of about 1/2 mile through the woods I found a stretch of river about 100 yards long that was nearly shoulder to shoulder with guys using deep sea rigs. I tried to hide my little Opie pole and look cool watching for a while. Then I noticed that almost to a man those guys were armed for bear, literally. Apparently bears are attracted to fish. Whodda thunk?? lol
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

I honestly don't think that the average person (criminals included) is even going to know what a Shoot Me First vest is for. I sure as hell didn't, before I started carrying.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

VIP Member
    I don't understand the debate. You're right, the average person won't ever notice the vest, or will simply think you're a loser for wearing one. Nothing to worry about there. But unlike some, I agree that the sheeple aren't the people to worry about.

If you honestly believe that bad guys don't know as much about the "gun culture" as the good guys, I have some swamp land you may be interested in. I'll promise you that not everyone reading this forum is someone I'd want to know I was carrying a gun. The people buying American Handgunner include a wide range of people, not all of which are looking for the newest gun for IDPA competitions.

Even if there is only one bad guy that has ever heard of a shoot me first vest, that is one too many in my mind. Yes, they work- they hide the gun from view. But, so do countless other things that don't point an arrow at you to anyone. I'm pretty confident that if you all saw me on the street you'd never dream I had a gun (or two) on my person. If you all knew, the bad guys would know-- and I don't want to do anything that could make me a target to anyone.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I don't own a vest, though I've thought about buying one.

I used to have a HUGE fanny pack, big enough to conceal a full-size 1911....until the 80's called and demanded its immediate return...

I'm not necessarily convinced that the prospect of a BG recognizing the significance of concealment gear is NECESSARILY a bad thing. When you think about it, if they believe you to be armed, intimidating you goes right out the window as an option, leaving them with only two others:

1. Attack you, an armed adversary, from ambush
    or
    2. Look for a different victim

My personal theory is that most criminals, by definition, are too lazy to WORK for a living, and therefore are far more likely to favor option # 2.

...which is fine by me.

1943 - 2009
    This is my old timber cruiser's vest I wore when I tromped around in the forest for a living. I only wear it for recreational hiking these days.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Damn Cap, there's NOTHING about that vest that "screams gun"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links