Defensive Carry banner

Headed to Illinois...

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  jmiked 
#1 · (Edited)
My son graduates from Navy basic training on Friday, so we're leaving for Chicago on Thursday morning. I'm obviously looking forward to seeing him, but it's going to be VERY different for me to be unarmed for a few days.:frown::gah: I understand that NO concealed or open carry is allowed there, other than hunting.
It really makes me appreciate the freedom we have here in AZ.

#2 ·
Yep, you are correct, NOTHING is allowed unless you have the almighty FOID card. You can't even purchase ammo or look a gun without it. IL is horrible, I was born and raised there, just west of Chicago. I swear the population of :sheep: in IL alone rival the rest of the US, combined. It's really sad. Not their fault they've been conditioned, by the morons they elected.

At least the :sheep: are nice! Sure do miss the friendly smiles of the midwesterners....Navy Pier is great! Hope you can get down there!

Many congratulations on your son's accomplishments! :congrats:

#3 ·
You probably couldn't carry on the base anyway.

If you're driving, happiness will be having Illinois in your rear view mirror.

All the best to your son. Just enduring Great Lakes in the winter impresses me. :congrats:

#4 ·
Thanks; we're FLYING out of Phoenix tomorrow morning.
My son DID say it got a bit chilly at times. (-24 one day!)
My wife wants to drive out to Michigan for a reunion this summer sometime, and I told her we're going AROUND Illinois.:yup:

#5 ·
Illinois, Land of No-Carry

Agree with your assessment of the Illinois landscape. Personal safety (right to keep and bare arms) is a right outlined in the Bill of Rights (gee are we having a discussion in the Supreme Court about this very subject!) The great state of Illinois chooses to ignore this fact and consequently; you'll feel unprotected during your visit. Understand that Great Lakes Naval Training Center is a federal installation and you wouldn't be able to carry there either. BG's don't frequent federal installations :). I am FROM Illinois and after 30 years in the military, I presently reside in gun friendly Georgia! I only travel to Illinois when I have to...in-laws still live there. All states between GA & IL are gun friendly and honor GA ccw license. Congratulations to your son for his service. Hooah-Go Army...beat Navy!

#6 ·
I understand I wouldn't have been able to carry on the facility. I was more concerned about the other 2 days I'll be spending in the Windy City.

#9 ·
He'll be in aviation, airframe structural. Hydralics, welding, metal fab, that type of stuff.
Yeah, I'm real proud of him. He also qualified marksman with the M9!:yup: He said the trigger sucked on the Berretta and wished he could've shot my G22 for qualification.:smile:

#16 ·
Survived!

Just got home a little bit ago. It feels good to be back in a free state.:35:
My son's doing great. Graduation was awesome, and I can tell he's already grown up alot in just 9 weeks.
Thanks for all the advice and well-wishes. They were passed along and appreciated very much!

#17 ·
BillR

My Son went through Great Lakes a few years back on his way to being a Bubblehead. It kicked him into Adulthood in a way I never could, although several of his (as He called them) "Personal Demons" were frinds of mine.

Nope, I took nothing with me to the Graduation and was not happy.

Good Luck to You and Yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.