THE Discussion- Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on THE Discussion- Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If a BG has the drop on me and asks I will lie untill he turns away at which time he will learn the truth. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE Discussion- Concealed Carry

TOF
    If a BG has the drop on me and asks I will lie untill he turns away at which time he will learn the truth. For friends, relatives and associates I see no reason to lie if asked a direct question. They can like or dislike the answer as they choose. I feel we need to bring more competent people into the gun and carry world and will not accomplish that by keeping everything secret. We need to promote our "RIGHTS" rather than cower in the corner hoping nobody will find out that people still own guns. IMHO
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

As was stated earlier all of my close friends know that I carry, but then again so do all of them. We never advertise nor do we make a big deal out of it. And I love what Thumper has said, "Always Carry, Never Tell."
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Much to my dismay, there are a few people in my town who know I carry, that I would rather they didn't. Thanks to my loving wife

There was one particular occasion where we were talking with some acquaintances we ran into downtown. We were right in front of the local gun shop, so between the "guys" me and the other fellow, we started talking about hunting, where we hunt, tips, and of course our chosen rifles. When out of the blue she says, "You know Jason has his concealed gun license now don't you?"

To which I quickly said, "Of course they don't know! Why conceal a gun if you go telling everybody?"

She got the idea, but I came to find out that she had already told everyone she works with too(She manages a local pizza shop on the weekends). I help out with deliveries sometimes on Sunday afternoon, and a couple of guys approached me one day and said, "Hey, can we see your concealed gun?"

"Do you guys know if I'm really carrying a gun right now?"

"Well, no.... but your wife......."

"Let's just keep it that way!"

She's learned better.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

When "rumor" got out at work that I might be carrying a few asked me outright. My answer was I carry a couple of guns, flex my mediocre biceps, and then look at them like it was a stupid question and walk away. Seems to baffle them everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    If a BG has the drop on me and asks I will lie untill he turns away at which time he will learn the truth. For friends, relatives and associates I see no reason to lie if asked a direct question. They can like or dislike the answer as they choose. I feel we need to bring more competent people into the gun and carry world and will not accomplish that by keeping everything secret. We need to promote our "RIGHTS" rather than cower in the corner hoping nobody will find out that people still own guns. IMHO
    I have a couple of friends that because of me, now know the law and have started carrying.
    I'm amazed at how many people Just don't know they have that right!!
    I'm always up for a good debate on gun rights, and willing victims.
    Now I'm not going to get in the discussion of open carry or not, but I open carry sometimes (Since I have that right in my state).
    Most people ask "Are you a cop" I say no. That ends the questions most of the time in public!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I avoid firearms discussions all together unless I'm with a group where there are some already known facts. If someone brings up the subject, my input is limited, and cut short of elaboration. If folks persist, I may get more involved, but attempt not to leave many open doors. If particularly asked my opinion on certain subjects, I'll usually lay it on the line whether I think they'll like it or not. Don't sweat the small stuff. Do what you feel best in any situation, and never second guess yourself. Keep up the good work.

I tell everyone in my closest circle that I carry all the time (except at work, where it is forbidden). I have inspired several others to get their permit. I want as many good people as possible to carry. I see this as a good thing. If I don't share this with others, they may not consider their option to carry.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedAviator View Post
    I wonder if not being honest and bold about your 2A rights leaves a void in the much needed area of informing the masses? Not to interject religion into this forum but as a Christian, I share my faith when the opportunity arises, why not stand bold for the cause of our right to keep and bear arms?

I have not been asked THE question but have had the opportunity to discuss the issue of carrying weapons with others. It goes pretty well and you never know who you may convince. Sure there are arguments that you just left yourself open to the crazy guy in the corner who never talks to anybody and will now take you out first on his soon to be executed rampage. But I think that type of risk is slim compared to the potential benefit of offering truth to the uniformed.

I don't mean you have to wear pro-gun t-shirts and hats with your CCW/CHL taped to your forehead but when asked, turn it into an opportunity to inform the sheep. They probably just assume everyone around them thinks like they do. Letting them know, gently but boldly may make them realize they really don't know everything about the issue. It also gets them to realize that their supposed majority view just shrunk by at least one person and, heaven forbid, there may be more just like you out there!!
    I like your attitude, and it is one that I once held, myself. I've had the "pleasure" of attempting to inform the "sheep" about a few subjects lately myself. Unfortunately, what I've found is that sheep are sheep for a reason. They are sheep because they don't WANT to be educated. They don't WANT to know the truth. Attempting to educate them only makes you look like more of a "crazy" in their eyes.

I have given up this silly hobby of teaching sheep to not be sheep. I see now that a sheep will never be anything more than just a sheep. My problem is that I like to talk about stuff with my "friends" at work. I have to really force myself to avoid this topic, it is VERY uncomfortable when someone even suspects I carry.

I was asked THE question last weekend at a party. We were discussing guns in general and the subject of license came up. After spouting off about the all the problems in GA, I was asked point blank:

“You have a license, so do you carry a gun?”

I winked and said, “Sometimes.”

He got the point and said, “I guess that’s the idea, criminals never know who might be carrying when.”

I said, “Exactly.”

No one noticed the Taurus under my jacket.

I’ve never lied when asked, but I don’t get asked very often. The issue is important to me and I take every opportunity to promote lawful carry. I don’t believe the decision to protect oneself is anything to hide.

VIP Member

:sheep: Teaching

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I have given up this silly hobby of teaching sheep to not be sheep. I see now that a sheep will never be anything more than just a sheep.
    Generally I limit my "silly hobby of teaching sheep to not be sheep" to LTE and the papers' comment Blogs.

Just don't want the Anti's to dominate the info source with what their misinformation, or to think that they are the only word for the general public. I have no illusions that I will change the editorial position. I just want to give folk who are not get full fledged (or should that be fleeced) the other side of the issue.

For an example see: The Roanoke Times: RoundTable : Discuss Wednesday's editorials

I have also sent an LTE. It MAY get printed.

It's just not in my nature to roll over.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I have to say that I used to be "open and honest" but after being burned very badly, now I'm just "honest".
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

When the subject of guns comes up, I am the dumbest guy in the room.

Outside of my immediate family, I have only one friend that knows I have a CHL. He has a CHL too. (Oddly enough, he doesn't own a gun.) Anyway, I don't want any of my other friends to know that I carry. I don't want rumors spreading. I also don't want any of my friends getting themselves in situations that they expect me to get them out of.

If someone asks me THE question, I plan on saying "No". If I think they are ripe for a little enlightenment on 2A or personal protection, I might say, "I had a CHL before I moved to Colorado. Do you have questions?"

I have been asked at work and avoided a direct answer but when I'm not at work I will answer yes don't you? usually thats the end of it but if they ask why I tell them. My family ,My pastor ,my friends, and my boss know that I carry always.They also know I don't care if they like it or not. I have one friend who asked me not to carry in his house because his wife dosent like it so I dont go to his house anymore when his wife is home. They are still welcome in mine and we are still close friends. I respect that it is her house but I wont disarm.

Distinguished Member
    When I took my CCW class, everyone at work knew what I was doing. At that point in my life I was getting a permit to carry in the glove-box, or to have a pistol under my coat when I was coon hunting. A customer/friend also knew what I was doing, and in hindsight, I wish he did not know, because he will occasionally ask in front of others if I'am packen.

The best thing would have been to join this forum first to give a person a real, professional attitude about the subject. I will generally lie if asked now, no real need for them to know.

I just spent 12 days with 4 friends on vacation. When we got in the vehicle I told them I was carrying, I figured sense we were going to be rooming together until our wives showed up they would find out. One guy was waiting on his permit, another was a retired State Patrolman, and the third guy told me at the end of the trip that he was going to get his permit. Hope he follows through. I did set the ground rules upfront with them, and all went fine.

Short of the story--- yes Thumper has it nailed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links