THE Discussion- Concealed Carry - Page 4

THE Discussion- Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on THE Discussion- Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Daniella Many good advise here, for both standing up for your right to carry and for not telling..Myself..Well, I would tell those ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67

Thread: THE Discussion- Concealed Carry

  1. #46
    Senior Member Array Cthulhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brevard County, FL
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    Many good advise here, for both standing up for your right to carry and for not telling..Myself..Well, I would tell those who need to know,like my husband and close friends I know I can trust..People beyond that,well,they kind of don't have anything with me actually carrying a gun..The one you tell at Walmart or Starbucks might be the next bad guy..
    Be sure those close friends don't have strong feelings against guns. I've heard many accounts of permit holders informing close friends who were particularly anti-...and they're close friends no more.

    -JT


  2. #47
    Member Array cl00bie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Broome County, New York (USA)
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Am I “preoccupied or filling my mind continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent” with personal protection and with the feeling that I am going to be attacked sooner or later?

    No, I do not believe so.
    I don't believe so, either.

    I think what makes a lot of people uncomfortable about why you carry a weapon isn't because they believe you are wrong to do so, but because they believe you're right.

    Once they know you carry, you bring into stark relief that the world can be a dangerous place. And not just "somewhere else" where crazies shoot up malls and schools, but here, right where they live.

    I will lay odds that if they are in a "bad section of town", you're the one they'd want with them.

    This is the reason that I am pursuing my concealed carry permit. Because I see bad things happen every day... not where I live, yet... but I'm not naive enough to think that these things always happen "somewhere else".

    I figured I'd read things in here, learn some of the issues surrounding concealed carry, and then move forward.

    I have had a pistol permit for about 10 years, but it is restricted to hunting and target shooting. In order to be able to carry concealed outside of these parameters, you have to write a letter to the judge. The old judge was not very concealed-friendly and even LEOs had a hard time getting a permit. The new guy is a little more reasonable.

    I figure if I take both of the NRA's personal protection classes, I will have a better chance of convincing the judge to see things my way.

    -Tony

  3. #48
    Senior Member Array youngda9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I don't believe so, either.

    I think what makes a lot of people uncomfortable about why you carry a weapon isn't because they believe you are wrong to do so, but because they believe you're right.

    Once they know you carry, you bring into stark relief that the world can be a dangerous place. And not just "somewhere else" where crazies shoot up malls and schools, but here, right where they live.

    I will lay odds that if they are in a "bad section of town", you're the one they'd want with them.

    This is the reason that I am pursuing my concealed carry permit. Because I see bad things happen every day... not where I live, yet... but I'm not naive enough to think that these things always happen "somewhere else".

    I figured I'd read things in here, learn some of the issues surrounding concealed carry, and then move forward
    -Tony
    BINGO.

    Way to go Tony.

  4. #49
    Senior Member Array Fast Cloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gulfstream
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    so what do you guys say for people that think that you only carry because of fear?
    Usually I just give them the old standard...."What do I have to be afraid of? I'm the one with the gun." Then I add in a little local flare...Now if I were you running around every day in the 46th most dangerous city in America unarmed, I'd be TERRIFIED!! You...uh...do watch the local news once in a while?? Right??
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

    NRA member

  5. #50
    VIP Member Array cdwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Usually I just give them the old standard...."What do I have to be afraid of? I'm the one with the gun." Then I add in a little local flare...Now if I were you running around every day in the 46th most dangerous city in America unarmed, I'd be TERRIFIED!! You...uh...do watch the local news once in a while?? Right??
    Exactly, I don't understand people? Do they not watch the news?
    Jackson just hit it's 18th homicide this year!!
    With 5 cop shootings in the area in the last month!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

  6. #51
    Senior Member Array Fast Cloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gulfstream
    Posts
    603
    Two city council members have been car-jacked. A third was held up in her own front yard in broad daylight on a sunday afternoon with a sawed off double barreled twelve gauge. Still, they just can't comprehend that the place they've grown up in has changed. Denial...one size fits all.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

    NRA member

  7. #52
    Member Array apierce918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Usually I just give them the old standard...."What do I have to be afraid of? I'm the one with the gun." Then I add in a little local flare...Now if I were you running around every day in the 46th most dangerous city in America unarmed, I'd be TERRIFIED!! You...uh...do watch the local news once in a while?? Right??
    46th?! ha, i frequent the 3rd most dangerous a few times a week

  8. #53
    VIP Member Array edr9x23super's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,108
    When the question arises in my circles, I just casually inform all present that I think of myself as a diplomat carrying a universal language translator. After a moment of confused expressions, I further explain that my translator speaks all languages equally, bypassing the need or requirement for any physical or otherwise violent confrontations. usually, they laugh about my explanation and we go on about our business. Sometimes there are arguers that will tell me that I am just "scared" or paranoid or some other derogatory statement to justify their high-minded attitude.

    My reply to all these comments is simple: I remind them of the words of a former instructor of mine, who said "If you look like food, you will be eaten". Then I tell them that the difference between me and them is that I walk without fear anywhere I wish because they look like food and I don't........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

  9. #54
    Senior Member Array Fast Cloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gulfstream
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    46th?! ha, i frequent the 3rd most dangerous a few times a week

    Yes, but you're packing right?
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

    NRA member

  10. #55
    Member Array Wils91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    40
    1st post...whoohoo...but anyway

    before Christmas i was doing some shopping, i've had my CCP since Spring 07' and was carrying. I ran into a friend of mine from work and he was with his family (wife and daughter) and we were talking while his daughter got her picture taken with Santa then we said our goodbyes. during work the next week we were talking about the crazyness of the holiday shopping experience and the conversation went on to how nuts people can be and somehow the topic of guns arose. I then told him on that day i was carrying and he looked at me and said "Good, it makes me feel safe when i'm out and people like you are out there aswell" quite a few of the guy's i work with carry and we often would talk guns throughout the day.

    I dont go around telling people i carry, few people know i do so. close friends, mom,dad, and brother who all also carry. the lady who cuts my hair knows because we got to talking about politics and gun control laws and blah blah blah and she said" you almost have to in this day and age, cause you never know when somebody is gonna try to do something." I told her i would never become a victim, and when other people ask i tell them " I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"

    just because something doesnt or hasnt happened in your area doesnt mean it won't or can't. So on the day that situation may arise, though i hope it never will, i will be prepared.

  11. #56
    Member Array i12flytoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    54
    Unless I'm with people that already know, I stay away from the entire subject really. I have been known to defend the CHP laws and explain to a few people the requirements and hoops you have to jump through to get a permit here in NC. Several people have actually, I'll say, loosened their grip on the idea they have that there is a possibility that if we just ban all the guns then the criminals wouldn't be able to have them. But when the subject must come up, I stay away from it by using a phrase like "the people that go through the trouble of getting a permit..." rather than "when I got my permit..." Saves from having to deal with the direct questions.

  12. #57
    Member Array apierce918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Yes, but you're packing right?
    today's my 4th day

  13. #58
    Ex Member Array FN1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,235
    Update on my post about our Men of the Church meeting. Last Sunday at church a fellow asked me if I had the name and nuimber of the instructor that spoke at our meeting. He said he needed it to give to one of his friends that wanted to get his CWP.

    At work Monday the subject of guns came up and my supervisor started telling about how her husband had gotten her a gun but she didn't have a CWP but probably should. He husband is the mayor of one of the towns around here. My previous supervisor had her CWP.

    The admistrative staff of the college where I work has one member that I took the CWP class with, one that wanted to know if he could use his military training to exempt the class, one that carrys a gun with her in her car, one that I bought a gun from and one in the National Guard who just returned from Iraq. I suppose I am lucky that I am not around people that have an affliction to guns and it has always been that way. I just have a hard time understanding all this talk about being so secretive about a CWP. I just know too many people that say they haven't ever needed a permit to carry one around so why should they worry about it now.

  14. #59
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by JrHawk View Post
    I have had my permit for a year and like most of you don't advertise or tell others that I carry. No ones business. However, and maybe because this came out of the blue with nice people that I know, I was caught a bit off guard. My response however was a quick and confident " Yes, I do and I do so legally and with a great deal of Responsibility.
    I have no problem with your response.

    I have always made an extra effort to make my concealed status exactly that. Your story gives me reason to coin a proper response if similarly confronted. It will be something like "That is something that you will never know one way or the other, but I assure you that whatever I do, I will make certain that it is perfectly legal."

  15. #60
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    1. "Carry a gun? Why would I do that?" (This has the benefit of not being a lie, why giving an impression that I don't carry.) Then you change the subject.
    I really like that one. Short, sweet, not a lie and if they take the bait... allows you to hear what their thoughts are on the topic.

    I have told very, very few people I ccw. Those that really need to know have already been told, so I see no need to advertise to any others.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Church CCW carry discussion
    By kemar in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: February 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
  2. Concealed carry discussion with a County LEO today
    By Tally XD in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: September 12th, 2009, 02:21 AM
  3. New P239 - I need ideas for a very concealed undetectable holster for Concealed Carry
    By kashton in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
  4. South Carolina People - Alcohol Carry discussion
    By cphilip in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: March 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM