NYS CCW law confusion

NYS CCW law confusion

This is a discussion on NYS CCW law confusion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went through the insane process in NYS to get my pistol permit. Recieved it two month's ago. I've bought two guns as well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYS CCW law confusion

NYS CCW law confusion

So I went through the insane process in NYS to get my pistol permit. Recieved it two month's ago. I've bought two guns as well already.. (GF is gonna kill me ).. and I'm still confused to if I can carry "legally". Btw, my county is fairly lienient.. we have a great county clerk that can get things process incredibly fast. I bought a gun the other day and went and saw her and I picked it up that night.

My permit says "Licensed to carry pistol is hereby granted:" My name, picture, address, job, judge signature is on there. But on the top, it say's "State of New York, County of Rensselaer" "Hunting and Target" are underneath it.

I've been told you can get two types in NY: This one, and Premise only. They dont issue unrestricted carries. But someone told me they are "Administrative" restrictions, I cant go to jail or anything.

I've read the stories about people just putting targets in their car, or saying they belong to a 24/7 club when they get questioned by LEO's.

My boss carries all the time, and I believe his say's the same thing. Can someone clear this up for me? Should I write a letter to the judge in a year asking for the restrictions lifted? I just dont want to jeopordize losing my guns.

Thanks everyone.
    -Ryan
    Springfield XD Sub 9mm
    Sig P229 .40

That seems to fall under the discretion of the officer. I'm told the NYSP don't care if it's "restricted," but haven't seen anything in writing. It's not mentioned in the NYS penal code.

Bear in mind the the judge who issued it can revoke it for any reason.

I would write a polite letter asking for the restrictions to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    That seems to fall under the discretion of the officer. I'm told the NYSP don't care if it's "restricted," but haven't seen anything in writing. It's not mentioned in the NYS penal code.

Bear in mind the the judge who issued it can revoke it for any reason.

I would write a polite letter asking for the restrictions to be removed.
    Yea, I would do that, but it's only been two months of me having the permit. I'm also not that old, I'm only 24. Not sure if age comes into questionability when issueing non-restricted.
    -Ryan
    Springfield XD Sub 9mm
    Sig P229 .40

NY State permits are issued by county judge. Unfortunately, you live in a county where that judge issues them (i.e. IMO unlawfully) with so called sportsman restrictions. You are correct in saying that they are "administrative" restrictions. You would not necessarily be breaking the law by carrying outside those restrictions, but could potentially have your license revoked for doing so. People have been successful in the past in having these restrictions lifted by requesting so at a later date, usually by providing evidence of advanced firearm training proving proficiency or "justified need" such as carrying large sums of money, etc. Many folks do join a 24hr shooting range and if ever asked while carrying say that they are going to the range. Local gun organizations have been trying to amend these practices by these county judges. Unfortunately, we live in a communist state. Good luck!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    NY State permits are issued by county judge. Unfortunately, you live in a county where that judge issues them (i.e. IMO unlawfully) with so called sportsman restrictions. You are correct in saying that they are "administrative" restrictions. You would not necessarily be breaking the law by carrying outside those restrictions, but could potentially have your license revoked for doing so. People have been successful in the past in having these restrictions lifted by requesting so at a later date, usually by providing evidence of advanced firearm training proving proficiency or "justified need" such as carrying large sums of money, etc. Many folks do join a 24hr shooting range and if ever asked while carrying say that they are going to the range. Local gun organizations have been trying to amend these practices by these county judges. Unfortunately, we live in a communist state. Good luck!

Thanks for your help.. :(
    -Ryan
    Springfield XD Sub 9mm
    Sig P229 .40

It doesn't hurt to ask. Good suggestion on getting training, might help your case.
    I doubt age is a consideration, I would think they do it to all of them. I was 24 when I got my unrestricted permit, but in a different county.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Why not take up 'hiking'? Have that and 'fishing' added to the license? That's what mine said originally..walking through the woods....hiking, right? In Orange County, NY, there are four or five judges that sign off on licenses processed by the County Sheriffs office. I've seen UNRESTRICTED issued by a couple of judges right out of the box. For what reason...They wanted to. I waited about five years, wrote a nice letter that spoke about 'personal responsibility', mentioned that I 'wished to remain within the law' and therefore requested a lifting on that restriction after I've shown myself to be a person of good moral character....etc. Wait a while (,couple of years, it goes quick and makes you respect the Permit more,) join a club and shoot in some local events. Mention all that in the letter to the judge. Just be careful not to use the word 'weapon'. FIREARM looks better. Oh, and don't write the letter in such a way as to make you appear to be a 'Bubba'.

Know watta'mean?

Good luck
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Why not take up 'hiking'? Have that and 'fishing' added to the license? That's what mine said originally..walking through the woods....hiking, right? In Orange County, NY, there are four or five judges that sign off on licenses processed by the County Sheriffs office. I've seen UNRESTRICTED issued by a couple of judges right out of the box. For what reason...They wanted to. I waited about five years, wrote a nice letter that spoke about 'personal responsibility', mentioned that I 'wished to remain within the law' and therefore requested a lifting on that restriction after I've shown myself to be a person of good moral character....etc. Wait a while (,couple of years, it goes quick and makes you respect the Permit more,) join a club and shoot in some local events. Mention all that in the letter to the judge. Just be careful not to use the word 'weapon'. FIREARM looks better. Oh, and don't write the letter in such a way as to make you appear to be a 'Bubba'.

Know watta'mean?

Good luck

Yea it just sucks I live in this state. The laws are such B.S.

I could call the county clerk and ask what I need to do down the road to recieve an unrestricted permit.
    -Ryan
    Springfield XD Sub 9mm
    Sig P229 .40

This looks like the exact legal excerpt:

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall,
    except in the city of New York, be approved as to form by the
    superintendent of state police. A license to carry or possess a pistol
    or revolver shall have attached the licensee's photograph, and a coupon
    which shall be removed and retained by any person disposing of a firearm
    to the licensee. Such license shall specify the weapon covered by
    calibre, make, model, manufacturer's name and serial number, or if none,
    by any other distinguishing number or identification mark, and shall
    indicate whether issued to carry on the person or possess on the
    premises.

I did a google search but couldn't come up with much for advanced pistol training in NYS, specifically the upstate area. Anyone know of any?
    -Ryan
    Springfield XD Sub 9mm
    Sig P229 .40

Unfortunately Rochester is about 4hrs from me. :(

Thank's for the link though friend.
    -Ryan
    Springfield XD Sub 9mm
    Sig P229 .40

What your local issuing authority will NOT tell you if they place restrictions on your NY permit.

Pistol Permits FAQs

Q - What section of the Penal Law authorizes the placing of restrictions on pistol permits by the issuing authority?

The Penal Law does not specifically authorize the placing of restrictions on pistol permits. However, court decisions have consistently supported the ability of licensing officials to impose these restrictions. Such an imposition is an administrative function of the licensing officer.

Licensees in violation of these restrictions would therefore not be subject to criminal prosecution but would face action being taken by the court of issuance in the form of suspension or possible revocation of the license.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    What major city are you near? Check out the local clubs...almost all of them have events; plate matches, bowling pin shoots, 22 pistol league....something that you can participate in. Good practice and discipline. You might also meet some of the local police, if they happen to be shooters. Good contacts and friends are made at the range.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    What major city are you near? Check out the local clubs...almost all of them have events; plate matches, bowling pin shoots, 22 pistol league....something that you can participate in. Good practice and discipline. You might also meet some of the local police, if they happen to be shooters. Good contacts and friends are made at the range.....
    I'm applying to the Sportmans club of clifton park, and the Albany County Pistol club. I'm looking to meet experienced shooters willing to give me tips.. etc.

btw, I'm near Albany. Located in East Greenbush currently.
    -Ryan
    Springfield XD Sub 9mm
    Sig P229 .40

The way I understand it, the restrictions are only administrative in nature. You cannot be arrested for carrying on a permit that have restrictions on it. It all depends on the LEO that you come into contact with. If he is having a bad day, he could write to your judge, telling him that you were a bad boy and were carrying on a "restricted" permit. The judge may or may not take some kind of action up to revoking your permit.

When I got my permit in June it also had the target, hunting restrictions on it. My judge said she never grants an unrestricted license on the initial application but would remove the restrictions in 24 months if I maintained a clean record. I was able to talk her down to 18 months. 9 more months to go!

Whisky19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links