Moving to Georgia - Advice ??? - Page 2

Moving to Georgia - Advice ???

This is a discussion on Moving to Georgia - Advice ??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been in the Atlanta area for over ten years. I would stay away from inside the perimeter ( i.e. inside I 285 ) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Georgia - Advice ???

I have been in the Atlanta area for over ten years. I would stay away from inside the perimeter ( i.e. inside I 285 ) and if you are considering Gwinnett you need to know the traffic is bad and its definitely urban sprawl. Consider the Cumming area (Forsyth County) and Dawsonville ( Dawson County ). Both are growing, north of the city by about 60 to 80 miles, offer you a choice of city/rural and reasonable housing. Also a big plus is its easier to obtain your GFL ( GA Firearms License ) and you have a very nice nationally recognized outdoor range close by - Riverbend Gun Club.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    Those are the same law. A restaurant serving booze IS a "public gathering."

Here is a page all about all the fun places off limits: GeorgiaPacking.org's Places Where Firearm Carry is Off-Limits

My favorite is 16-11-122 which makes it a felony with a penalty of 20 years in prison for carrying within a “reasonable distance” of a bus stop. Have fun with that one while walking through downtown ATL. Since no exception is made, this would apply to unmarked school bus stops as well. Fun.
    Yes they are.....I keep 'em seperated due to my being a doofus ITR and because they represent two seperate headaches for me. The public transportation (122) is another pain under my hat as well.

I still love Georgia (and GCO!) and hope the OP has enough information to make the decision best for him and his.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

thanks to everyone who replied. it looks like I may be up for a job with Gwinnett Co PD so I'll need to get used to the carry restrictions. I guess once I move south...I'm the one that everyone will think is talking funny. Need to lose my "yankee" accent.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" — Sen. Jesse Helms

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    thanks to everyone who replied. it looks like I may be up for a job with Gwinnett Co PD so I'll need to get used to the carry restrictions. I guess once I move south...I'm the one that everyone will think is talking funny. Need to lose my "yankee" accent.
    Heck nobody really notices anymore with all of the Northern transplants down here. I should know because I married one. When I go to Ohio though I get funny looks when I speak sometimes.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Join georgiacarry.org. Welcome to the public gathering hell.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Join georgiacarry.org. Welcome to the public gathering hell.
    Well if he gets a job as a police officer he won't have to worry about all of the restrictions!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Communications Officer....but not a sworn LEO so restrictions will still apply.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" — Sen. Jesse Helms

Yep, they will still apply.

I am currently living in forest park. Within a year I will be moving with my wife to Gwinnett. I own a business up there, and the commute is terrible.

Before purchasing a home in Gwinnett, I suggest you do some drive throughs. The neighborhoods change drastically within a 5 mile radius.

There are some gorgeuos areas, though, and some amazing prices on homes in some areas.

Just a minor point, but one most people don't realize until retirement. If you are a public servant who plans on retiring from GA, and about 12 other states...be sure to check on you ability to collect your state pension AND social security...some states consider that 'double dipping'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    it looks like I may be up for a job with Gwinnett Co PD
    Enjoy:

So I Stop These Gwinnett Officers...

mzmtg -

Way too early in the process...but thanks.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links