Defensive Carry banner

Moving to Georgia - Advice ???

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  wedoada 
#1 ·
My wife and I have finally had enough of winters in New Hampshire and are planning on relocating, hopefully to Georgia, this summer.

We have both been permit holders here in NH for years. I have 26 years on the job in Law Enforcement in a non-sworn position (E911 Communication Officer) and my wife worked in EMS and now works in the health care field.

We have friends and family in the south (GA & SC) and chose GA over SC because of its Self Defense and 2A laws but we're not exactly happy about the carry limitations that we see.

Can anyone offer any advise or tips on the CCW/2A situation in GA before we move to help us with our decision.

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies that we know we'll get from all the folks on this site.

RandyW

#4 ·
Just to reinterate what Bigmita said.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org offers everything you need to know about gun laws in Georgia. Check out the forum section as well and join. Many nice folks on there that will be glad to answer questions. I am on there but I only make an appearance every once in a while.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news is a grassroots organization that is commited to improving Georgia's gun laws. In only just a couple of years in existence they have scored some pretty big victories and in my opinion have done more in two years than the NRA (I am an NRA member) has ever done for Ga. I am a member and it is worth it. Alot of the guys from the above forum are members of this organization as well.

Georgia is one of the most restrictive states in the Union. Most people find that hard to believe but it is the truth. GCO is working hard to change that and perhaps someday we will be as free as our brethren just south of us in the "Gunshine" state.

#7 ·
Where to?

Georgia is rather diverse (ok it isn't there are two kinds, those in Atlanta and those that ain't (yes, ain't is a word) ). Where are you moving to?

#10 ·
At this point we're looking at Gwinnett county.

#11 ·
Gwinnett has some very nice homes and communities. However gang activity (Mainly Hispanic) in the area has increased big time and the crime rate has gone up.

Traffic is also horrible.

#14 ·
I've lived in South East Georgia for 7 years now and it's been a very good life here.......I've no idea of the Gwinnett Co. area though.

Biggest complaints are the 'public gathering' and 'no carry in restruants serving booze' laws. Georgia is pretty restrictive in that sense. GCO is doing a great, stand-up job working to change this and is a worthy organization to invest your time in if you so choose.

#15 ·
Biggest complaints are the 'public gathering' and 'no carry in restruants serving booze' laws.
Those are the same law. A restaurant serving booze IS a "public gathering."

Here is a page all about all the fun places off limits: GeorgiaPacking.org's Places Where Firearm Carry is Off-Limits

My favorite is 16-11-122 which makes it a felony with a penalty of 20 years in prison for carrying within a “reasonable distance” of a bus stop. Have fun with that one while walking through downtown ATL. Since no exception is made, this would apply to unmarked school bus stops as well. Fun.

#16 ·
I have been in the Atlanta area for over ten years. I would stay away from inside the perimeter ( i.e. inside I 285 ) and if you are considering Gwinnett you need to know the traffic is bad and its definitely urban sprawl. Consider the Cumming area (Forsyth County) and Dawsonville ( Dawson County ). Both are growing, north of the city by about 60 to 80 miles, offer you a choice of city/rural and reasonable housing. Also a big plus is its easier to obtain your GFL ( GA Firearms License ) and you have a very nice nationally recognized outdoor range close by - Riverbend Gun Club.

#18 ·
thanks to everyone who replied. it looks like I may be up for a job with Gwinnett Co PD so I'll need to get used to the carry restrictions. I guess once I move south...I'm the one that everyone will think is talking funny. Need to lose my "yankee" accent.

#19 ·
Heck nobody really notices anymore with all of the Northern transplants down here. I should know because I married one. When I go to Ohio though I get funny looks when I speak sometimes.

#22 ·
Communications Officer....but not a sworn LEO so restrictions will still apply. :hand1:

#24 ·
I am currently living in forest park. Within a year I will be moving with my wife to Gwinnett. I own a business up there, and the commute is terrible.

Before purchasing a home in Gwinnett, I suggest you do some drive throughs. The neighborhoods change drastically within a 5 mile radius.

There are some gorgeuos areas, though, and some amazing prices on homes in some areas.

#25 ·
Just a minor point, but one most people don't realize until retirement. If you are a public servant who plans on retiring from GA, and about 12 other states...be sure to check on you ability to collect your state pension AND social security...some states consider that 'double dipping'...

#27 ·
mzmtg -

Way too early in the process...but thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.