Moving to Georgia - Advice ???

This is a discussion on Moving to Georgia - Advice ??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I have finally had enough of winters in New Hampshire and are planning on relocating, hopefully to Georgia, this summer. We have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Georgia - Advice ???

Question Moving to Georgia - Advice ???

My wife and I have finally had enough of winters in New Hampshire and are planning on relocating, hopefully to Georgia, this summer.

We have both been permit holders here in NH for years. I have 26 years on the job in Law Enforcement in a non-sworn position (E911 Communication Officer) and my wife worked in EMS and now works in the health care field.

We have friends and family in the south (GA & SC) and chose GA over SC because of its Self Defense and 2A laws but we're not exactly happy about the carry limitations that we see.

Can anyone offer any advise or tips on the CCW/2A situation in GA before we move to help us with our decision.

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies that we know we'll get from all the folks on this site.

RandyW
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

2. Remove Ads

While I understand you're getting tired of the cold, it must
    be noted that Snow is much more peaceful than tornadoes.

My decision was Alabama over Maine.
    Good luck with this tough decision.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Just to reinterate what Bigmita said.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org offers everything you need to know about gun laws in Georgia. Check out the forum section as well and join. Many nice folks on there that will be glad to answer questions. I am on there but I only make an appearance every once in a while.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news is a grassroots organization that is commited to improving Georgia's gun laws. In only just a couple of years in existence they have scored some pretty big victories and in my opinion have done more in two years than the NRA (I am an NRA member) has ever done for Ga. I am a member and it is worth it. Alot of the guys from the above forum are members of this organization as well.

Georgia is one of the most restrictive states in the Union. Most people find that hard to believe but it is the truth. GCO is working hard to change that and perhaps someday we will be as free as our brethren just south of us in the "Gunshine" state.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

You have to learn how to talk funny.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Welcome to Georgia! As Bigmita recommended check out georgiacarry.org. Another great site for Georgia is:

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

Where to?

Georgia is rather diverse (ok it isn't there are two kinds, those in Atlanta and those that ain't (yes, ain't is a word) ). Where are you moving to?
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Advice? Stay away from Atlanta.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    For CCW I would definitely choose Florida over Georgia. If you're in the northern part of the state then you won't see much of a weather difference between the two.

At this point we're looking at Gwinnett county.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    Gwinnett has some very nice homes and communities. However gang activity (Mainly Hispanic) in the area has increased big time and the crime rate has gone up.

Traffic is also horrible.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

+1 on the gangs and traffic in Gwinnett.

You should go ahead and join GCO now. They are doing a heck of a job protecting our rights and need all the support they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    Then this is the link you need: License Process for Gwinnett County on GeorgiaPacking.org

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I've lived in South East Georgia for 7 years now and it's been a very good life here.......I've no idea of the Gwinnett Co. area though.

Biggest complaints are the 'public gathering' and 'no carry in restruants serving booze' laws. Georgia is pretty restrictive in that sense. GCO is doing a great, stand-up job working to change this and is a worthy organization to invest your time in if you so choose.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Biggest complaints are the 'public gathering' and 'no carry in restruants serving booze' laws.
    Those are the same law. A restaurant serving booze IS a "public gathering."

Here is a page all about all the fun places off limits: GeorgiaPacking.org's Places Where Firearm Carry is Off-Limits

My favorite is 16-11-122 which makes it a felony with a penalty of 20 years in prison for carrying within a “reasonable distance” of a bus stop. Have fun with that one while walking through downtown ATL. Since no exception is made, this would apply to unmarked school bus stops as well. Fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links