first day w/license

first day w/license

This is a discussion on first day w/license within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i got my CHL yesterday after going through hoops, it took right at four months from the time dps got my packet till plastic in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first day w/license

first day w/license

i got my CHL yesterday after going through hoops, it took right at four months from the time dps got my packet till plastic in hand.
    i was driving to academy when i saw 2 teens or early 20s guys pull into a parking lot of the store center. they were yelling and making cmon gestures to someone sitting in traffic at a red light close to me.
    ive had my gun in the glove box lots of times before since sept 1st but today i had my gun at 4 oclock in an iwb holster since i just got my permit a few hours before. i was watching them like a hawk, wondering if they were going to come after the guy in the car next to me and start something.i looked over and i think it was an older guy about 40 in a truck. he seemed unconcerned and drove off when light changed.i then went to wally world after academy.
    it was extremely windy in Austin yesterday and i kept holding my shirt down so it would not blow up and expose the butt of my sig.i carried in my house and in the country before but now that i keep my gun on me everywhere i go i noticed that my awareness is very keen. if anyone looks scummy at all i watch them and keep a discreet distance between us.before i would just ignore creepy looking people but now i feel like i have to keep an eye on them when i see them. is this normal for when one starts to first carry?
    it doesn't bother me, in fact i wish i had acted this way before.i actually felt comfortable in the stores and didn't keep checking my shirt covering my gun, it was outside in the strong wind that i worried about it.all n all i am very happy that i went through all the hassle to get my CHL and i am ready to embrace a new responsibility and lifestyle.

next step is more and continuing training and education....thanks, sorry about the length of post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Congratulations!

Congrats everything is going to change for you now (just dont get antsy to use that thing) like u said how u notice people & behaviors around u. I also always sit strong side in at restaurants in case it prints or i need to discreetly draw or something. I also dont like urinals (i use the stall) because i worry that someone my see & grab at my gun while iam busy although i has immensely helped me keep my temper to myself
    Good luck & enjoy your new found freedom

Wait, first day with your ccw and no Walmart trip? I was paranoid of being "made" my first day. Its amazing how on your first few days of ccw, the same things you saw everyday, like the guys in the parking lot, before you were carrying seem a little different now that you are armed. Don't worry, you get past it quickly anough and it becomes just another routine thing, kinda like brushing your teeth.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Wait, first day with your ccw and no Walmart trip? I was paranoid of being "made" my first day. Its amazing how on your first few days of ccw, the same things you saw everyday, like the guys in the parking lot, before you were carrying seem a little different now that you are armed. Don't worry, you get past it quickly anough and it becomes just another routine thing, kinda like brushing your teeth.
    Congrats on your permit but I'm afraid you get points off for not going directly to WAL-MART
    * Ordering Nachos
    * Buying Ammo

At least you made it to Wally World later on.
    Last edited by KenInColo; March 19th, 2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Congrats on the permit. Carrying does change the way you look at those around you.

Congrats...on the new permit!

Stay armed...be responsible for your own safety...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats on the permit and Welcome to the Club.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

TOF
    Congratulations.

The feeling of being in a fishbowl will go away. Wear it everywhere including at home till time to go to bed. It will become quite natural eventualy.

Now I have to ask, given that 40 is an old man what do you consider us 60 and 70 year olds to be?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Congrats, don't worry you will get used to it, but don't let your awareness falter when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Congrats on your permit but I'm afraid you get points off for not going directly to WAL-MART
    * Ordering Nachos
    * Buying Ammo

At least you made it to Wally World later on.
    i went to wally world right after academy, they didnt have any hollow points in 9mm. the WW near me mostly just carries target ammo.
    i did eat a sloppy chili dog while there,does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Congratulations.

The feeling of being in a fishbowl will go away. Wear it everywhere including at home till time to go to bed. It will become quite natural eventualy.

Now I have to ask, given that 40 is an old man what do you consider us 60 and 70 year olds to be?
    i didnt mean he was old. just older than the 2 idiots in the parking lot.what you feel is how old you are,sometimes i feel 1000 and sometimes 21

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Congrats, don't worry you will get used to it, but don't let your awareness falter when you do.
    i wont, i feel strongly i will always be a lot more vigilant now
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

looked over and i think it was an older guy about 40
    just because some of us are 40 and over.doesn't mean were helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by bushlight View Post
    just because some of us are 40 and over.doesn't mean were helpless.
    i know that bushlight, im one of you.

― Thomas Paine

The 40 and over club

Welcome to our world! You will be amazed at how many people you now look at two or three times that you may have never noticed before. You can expect to spend a lot of time going over "what if" scenarios at traffic lights, and in lines in the grocery store. After a while the almost paranoia over being made will fade away, but windy days do sometimes call for a wardrobe adjustment. You will get used to it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links