What an odd feeling...Drew for first time

This is a discussion on What an odd feeling...Drew for first time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I had reacted to that situation by drawing my weapon, for me personally, it would probably cause me to consider cutting back on the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What an odd feeling...Drew for first time

VIP Member
    If I had reacted to that situation by drawing my weapon, for me personally, it would probably cause me to consider cutting back on the espresso shots!

Seriously, and I honestly mean no offense, I think in this particular scenario you over reacted by drawing your weapon.

In your defense though, I have to say that it's unfortunate that there's not much in the way of "shoot / don't shoot" training available. So until something like this happens, we don't really know exactly what we'll do.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not sure what part of this is more wrong.
    Everything

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    First off, I don't think it is smart to "test a scope" outside a store with anything that looks like a rifle.

2nd, you saw them and realized what they were doing before you drew your gun. I don't see why you drew your gun.

Distinguished Member
    A man has a scoped rife pointed at you a 100 yards away and you are going to pull out a pistol . You are crazy , you would be dead .

Ok, im not gonna bash you for drawing your weapon, I think you have heard enough of that, I am going to congradulate you on sharing your experience, this is a peer based forum, and you will get enough negative feedback. (not that its not deserved)

So you learned a valuable lesson today/whenever this happened. You had to draw and you know your in need of practice on that.

Tactically I think you have heard the right views above about not trying to fight a man with a rifle at 100 yards, so incorporate this learning experience into your what if situations as well.

TOO MANY TIMES PEOPLE CONSIDER HOW TO GO OFFENSIVE IN WHAT IFS,
    Now would be a good time to think about those situations that you would be better off fleeing from.

No harm, no foul, on a side note though Anytime I am near a sporting goods store I assume there are going to be people with weapons, loaded and otherwise, I avoid standing around gun counters just because I dont like to be swept by employees or Rambo's checking out firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    Ok, im not gonna bash you for drawing your weapon, I think you have heard enough of that, I am going to congradulate you on sharing your experience, this is a peer based forum, and you will get enough negative feedback. (not that its not deserved)

So you learned a valuable lesson today/whenever this happened. You had to draw and you know your in need of practice on that.

Tactically I think you have heard the right views above about not trying to fight a man with a rifle at 100 yards, so incorporate this learning experience into your what if situations as well.

TOO MANY TIMES PEOPLE CONSIDER HOW TO GO OFFENSIVE IN WHAT IFS,
    Now would be a good time to think about those situations that you would be better off fleeing from.

No harm, no foul, on a side note though Anytime I am near a sporting goods store I assume there are going to be people with weapons, loaded and otherwise, I avoid standing around gun counters just because I dont like to be swept by employees or Rambo's checking out firearms.
    Southtexas, thanks for the constructive criticism.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I originally posted this 'cause I thought ya'll would get a good chuckle out of the story, but as my daughter would say, "Why ya'll gotta hate?"

Just a point of order.

1. By the time my car came to stop I was quite about bit closer than 100 yards. Be that as it may, I agree that it was still far to long of a distance to engage in with a pistol. Given the same circumstances, however, I would not hesitate to draw my weapon again... here's why.

I could not affectively back up at that point. The parking lot was a sheet of ice, and I was heading slightly downhill. To get moving in that direction, it would have to be an extremely slow process.

I was not going to head right for him. If he was taking aim at me with an actual rifle, why in the world would I want to get myself any closer?

So I am effectively stuck between a rock and a hard place, or an icy incline and a rifle. I stopped the car, and in that parking lot, given the same situation, I would do it that way again.

I drew my weapon, because for a split second I THOUGHT MY FRIGGIN' LIFE WAS IN DANGER!!!!! and I wasn't going down without a fight even if it wouldn't have been a very effective fight!

I'm sorry if you disagree, but I wasn't waiting for a 30.06 JHP to come flying in the windshield. 7 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 1/2 a mile... I don't care what the distance is... if someone is trying to end my life, I'm going to reach for whatever defense I can. If all I had was tire iron, it would have been in my hand too.

So I'm sorry you guys didn't find the whole thing as humorous as I did...
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't think any of us knows exactly what we would have done in your situation. You learned something from it and so did all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    Southtexas, thanks for the constructive criticism.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I originally posted this 'cause I thought ya'll would get a good chuckle out of the story, but as my daughter would say, "Why ya'll gotta hate?"

Just a point of order.

1. By the time my car came to stop I was quite about bit closer than 100 yards. Be that as it may, I agree that it was still far to long of a distance to engage in with a pistol. Given the same circumstances, however, I would not hesitate to draw my weapon again... here's why.

I could not affectively back up at that point. The parking lot was a sheet of ice, and I was heading slightly downhill. To get moving in that direction, it would have to be an extremely slow process.

I was not going to head right for him. If he was taking aim at me with an actual rifle, why in the world would I want to get myself any closer?

So I am effectively stuck between a rock and a hard place, or an icy incline and a rifle. I stopped the car, and in that parking lot, given the same situation, I would do it that way again.

I drew my weapon, because for a split second I THOUGHT MY FRIGGIN' LIFE WAS IN DANGER!!!!! and I wasn't going down without a fight even if it wouldn't have been a very effective fight!

I'm sorry if you disagree, but I wasn't waiting for a 30.06 JHP to come flying in the windshield. 7 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 1/2 a mile... I don't care what the distance is... if someone is trying to end my life, I'm going to reach for whatever defense I can. If all I had was tire iron, it would have been in my hand too.

So I'm sorry you guys didn't find the whole thing as humorous as I did...

Each person on this board has different views/experiences. I respect a lot of the members but it does not mean I have to agree with them. I offer my advice simply as a view from my perspective, not trying to "hate" on anyone, I am sorry if I posted my views in any way that made you feel that I was hating on you.

Im not trying to iritate you, obviously I was not there, you were, in the end if your in another situation similar to that one you are going to be the one who has to react.

Given your statements, and what I was trying to say above about doing mental what ifs about when to run/fight/etc. Is that the majority of folks here are telling you good advice about not engaging at long distance with a pistol.

So add the following now to your above situation, then if you still feel your going to go on the offense in that situation what could you have done better etc. You know you need to work on your draw time, Sounds to me like you are going to need some advanced courses in movement to cover as well.

Closing to effective range with a pistol is not an easy task to start with, and shooting from 50-100 yards may seem like a better than nothing option to you. Please consider each round you fire is going to go somewhere, are the other shoppers posing a threat to you?

From my view you are asking for trouble engaging at that range, but again its not my life in danger Know your target/limitations/ability. Kel tec sub2k carbine. HINT HINT.

Southtexas,

Actually, I thought your critique was handled quite well.

I'm sorry if you thought the whole post was intended for you. I though the dashed lines might indicate that I was addressing others who were... a little less tactful.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Personally, I think you need to switch to decaf.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    ...I was addressing others who were... a little less tactful.
    So... At least I didn't pull a pistol on somebody (or try to )!

Hehe, I'm just rattling the cage a little bit. I mean no disrespect to you as a person, but at the end of the day, from my vantage point (sitting near a computer, reading what you wrote) you over re-acted, and didn't put rational pieces of the puzzle together to figure out was going on. It's ok, everybody has done that more than once.

The difference is you're actions could of seriously altered life as you know it. Looking back, I imagine you realize what you did right, and what you did wrong. Learn from those and move on.
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    So... At least I didn't pull a pistol on somebody (or try to )!
    Chuckle chuckle chuckle

You know what? I'm done. I'm selling the lot and giving up on all of this defending my family stuff. Anyone want a good deal on a nice lot of used guns?

Well, all of them except the 1911... I like that one.... oh, and I have to keep the AR15 because my kids like to shoot that one.... and the Sig and Beretta... better hang on to those too...... Yeah, the old Mossberg.... that was my Dad's, so I better hang on to that... my wife loves venison so I might need to keep the new deer rifle too... and .22's aren't worth all that much, so I think I'll just throw those back in the safe.... oh well, never mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links