What an odd feeling...Drew for first time

This is a discussion on What an odd feeling...Drew for first time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm heading into my local sports store to put some more money down on my layaway (A new Springfield XD-9). I'm all excited because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an odd feeling...Drew for first time

What an odd feeling...Drew for first time

So, I'm heading into my local sports store to put some more money down on my layaway (A new Springfield XD-9). I'm all excited because I should have it all paid off in the next couple of weeks (I hate sticking to a budget), and I'm singing along to whatever was on the radio as I pull into the parking lot.

I pull around the corner and get my first glimpse at the front door, since I had to drive around a 15 foot bank of snow still left from the snowplows, and I see the gun dept. manager helping a guy out with a scope and rifle. Manager is showing him how the scope works, and keeps having him hold his rifle up to his shoulder and aim at different things in the distance.

I don't think much about it, and start looking for a parking spot in front of the building. I'm still a hundred yard away, or so, from the front doors, and I glance back over to see if there is anything right up front. That's when I notice the guy with the scoped rifle pointing the rifle RIGHT AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit that I freaked!! I slammed on the brakes, ducked under the dash, and started reaching for my Pistol on my hip.

It took me far to long to get my pistol out (Have to work on that), and I peak over the dash wondering if I should just push the pedal to the floor and get out of there, but then I started to calm down realizing that the Manager (who has helped me with my purchases many times) would never let this guy have a loaded gun on the property (At least I hoped he wouldn't), not counting concealed carry.

As I peak out the window, I see the guy swinging the gun towards the other end of the parking lot, and I zoomed my car into the closest spot, which put a couple of big SUV's between me and Mr. Rifle-man, get out of my vehicle, and peak over the hoods of the SUV's.

Turned out the guy was using the store's mock-up of a rifle that they use to let people try out scopes before they purchase. I've used it myself. Up close there is no way in the world it could be confused with an actual rifle, but in this instance I came pretty darn close to wetting myself because at a distance, it looked awfully real to me.

I ended up reholstering, and going and talking to manager and Mr. Rifle-man and we all got a chuckle out of it, but I'll tell you what... I don't think I've ever been that freaked out. After I got my gun back in its holster, which took a while too because I noticed my hands were shaking like never before. "freaked out" might not be a strong enough description, if ya know what I mean.

The good part of all of this though, is that I found out what I have to work on. It took way to long for me to draw my gun from it's holster while I was sitting in the car. I'm really going to have to work on that.

Ended up being pretty funny, thought I would share it.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    If it's a fake rifle, they should paint it orange.

Glad it was just a "drill". Now you know what you need to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    If it's a fake rifle, they should paint it orange.

Perhaps, but again, it really isn't a rifle. Its basically just an old stock, most likely from an old bolt action rifle, that they did some slight modification to to be able to put a small clamp on top so you can hold it like a rifle and test out the display scopes. While it was pointed at me, I just didn't happen to notice that there was no barrel beneath the scope. Orange may have helped.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I know the feeling a few years ago I was hunting on my granddad's property all going well, for a few hlours at least. I notice movement a few hundred yards away so I pick up my binoculars ans see a moron pointing a high powered rifle right at me, I'm assuming he's looking at me with his scope. Even at 200 yards a 300 mag barrel still looks huge. After all is sais and done he was caught by a game warden for shooting and leaving deer laying where shot. I hate people who waste a big resource like that I hope they horse whip the guy.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

A guy where I used to work years ago got killed by an idiot "just looking through scope."

Our guy was driving up to this guys house for a scheduled appointment. The idiot had his gun out on the kitchen table to clean it and saw the car coming up the drive.

On a lark he shoulders the rifle and centers the driver in the cross hairs and whispers "POW". He was surprised that he did not hear his own voice because the rifle's "BOOM" was much louder.

End result, one man dead for just doing what this idiot asked him to do, meet him at his house. The "incident" was investigated and ultimately, no charges were filed because it was just an "accidental discharge."

There was no accident, but rather a dumb decision that had deadly consequences.

I personally have given idiot hunters verbal lashings for using their rifle scope to look at me. They are everywhere...

If someody is looking at me through a scope attached to a rifle i don't know what his intent is and if i assume it's a threat At the least i will have him arrested for reckless endangerment ,at worst ill put my crosshairs on his chest and teach him why you don't aim at me real quick then call the sheriff to report a self defense shooting

I agree they should paint it orange, if they are going to take it outside, for demo

Quote Originally Posted by Locopelli View Post
    A guy where I used to work years ago got killed by an idiot "just looking through scope."

Our guy was driving up to this guys house for a scheduled appointment. The idiot had his gun out on the kitchen table to clean it and saw the car coming up the drive.

On a lark he shoulders the rifle and centers the driver in the cross hairs and whispers "POW". He was surprised that he did not hear his own voice because the rifle's "BOOM" was much louder.

End result, one man dead for just doing what this idiot asked him to do, meet him at his house. The "incident" was investigated and ultimately, no charges were filed because it was just an "accidental discharge."

There was no accident, but rather a dumb decision that had deadly consequences.

I personally have given idiot hunters verbal lashings for using their rifle scope to look at me. They are everywhere...
    Why do people insist on cleaning loaded guns? I always unload mine before cleaning but I keep hearing about a gun going off while it is being cleaned. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Why do people insist on cleaning loaded guns? I always unload mine before cleaning but I keep hearing about a gun going off while it is being cleaned. Am I missing something?
    I'm still trying to figure out how one is able to "clean" a firearm while it's loaded?

Unless, of course the definition of cleaning consists of wiping down the outside with a rag.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    I'm not sure what part of this is more wrong.
    "Just blame Sixto"

<Scratchin' my head> Why did you draw, again?

No offense intended, but what am I missing? He's 100 yards away, you're in a car, he's in a building--how do you know he was aiming at you? If he was aiming at you, what did you think the pistol was going to do for you? Why STOP? If somebody is aiming at you and you're in a moving car, FIDO! (Forget It, Drive On).

I hope you were able to give the guy a piece of your mind, and I'm glad no one was hurt, but this just doesn't make sense to me yet.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I agree that the rifle/scope demo device should be painted orange, etc., but I'm also thinking that the OP over reacted to the situation given the surroundings and details.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Locopelli View Post
    no charges were filed because it was just an "accidental discharge."
    Sounds more like "negligent homicide"...

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    <Scratchin' my head> Why did you draw, again?

No offense intended, but what am I missing? He's 100 yards away, you're in a car, he's in a building--how do you know he was aiming at you? If he was aiming at you, what did you think the pistol was going to do for you? Why STOP? If somebody is aiming at you and you're in a moving car, FIDO! (Forget It, Drive On).

I hope you were able to give the guy a piece of your mind, and I'm glad no one was hurt, but this just doesn't make sense to me yet.

HK Dan

No offense taken. Why did I pull my gun? Honestly, I have know idea. All I know, is that when I saw the guy pointing, what I thought was weapon at me, I panicked. I'll readily admit I may have over reacted, or reacted in the completely wrong way, but in that split second, it really seemed like the thing to do. Maybe if I had more experience at having a rifle pointed at me, I wouldn't have reacted that way, but it was a completely new experience... sensation... call it what you will, but for split second I thought........... Well, I think you get the idea.

I think the reason I stopped was because at that point, he was basically in front of me. The parking lot there is just wide enough for two cars to get by each other, and he was standing right outside the front doors right in the middle of the parking lot, so my first thought was, don't get any closer to the guy than I have to. In order to keep driving, I would have either had to head right at him, or stop and back up until I could turn around. I stopped.... saw the open parking place right next to me, so I pulled in putting the SUV's between me and him.

As for knowing he was pointing it at me... Well, he was right in front of me... pointing it right at me.... I don't know how else to describe it.

All of the range drills I do are for close encounters, and I can only visualize a BG pointing a gun at me... but at this point, I'm wondering if I'm doing enough. What I do know, is that when there was someone in front of me, pointing what I thought was a real gun at me, I freaked out.... Not Good!!! I know I have some work to do, but the whole point of sharing the story is 'cause once I thought about it, how I reacted, and what it ended up actually being, I thought it was kind of funny and that others might get a chuckle out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not sure what part of this is more wrong.
    I agree
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links