Empty Holster

Empty Holster

This is a discussion on Empty Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is probably a stupid question, but anyway: I'll be going into a Federal Courthouse today, and I'll be leaving my gun and mags in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Empty Holster

Empty Holster

This is probably a stupid question, but anyway:

I'll be going into a Federal Courthouse today, and I'll be leaving my gun and mags in my truck. If I wear my EMPTY holster and Empty mag pouch, will I still get hassled by the US Marshalls?
    "Islam is not your friend"

Administrator
    I wouldnt call it hasseled, but I would expect them to do their jobs. Why wear the empty holster anyway?
    "Just blame Sixto"

My holster and mag carrier are belt loops, no snaps. Just a hassle to take on and off. I was just gonna leave gun and mags in truck and wear the empty holster and carrier.
    "Islam is not your friend"

Probably not worth the hassle. I'd take them off.
    -Biker

I'd remove them - lot less hassle in the long run.

wyo-man

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    +1 for taking it off. If the marshals see the holster, they will likely give you a "thorough" security screening. They would only be doing their job and it would waste their time and slow down the line. Unless you are trying to make some sort of political statement, leave it in the car.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

You will probably have to go through a metal detector and have to take off your belt anyway. I'd just leave it in the truck so as not to draw attention to yourself.

I agree with everyone, taking it off is the best bet. If they see an empty holster they may start asking questions. besides if your going to be a while in a courthouse it will feel better with it off.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    if you have to take off your belt for the metal detector you might as well remove it...
    BUT it should be perfectly legal to wear your empty holster into the federal building...and you shouldn't have any hassle.
    I am going against the grain so far, and say if it is a hassle to you to take it on and off, then leave it on. We need to exercise some rights in this country or we are going to loose them. There is nothing illegal about what you are doing, so there is no reason even to comtemplate it, or worry about marshals harassing you.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

NO it is not illegal. But why draw unwanted attention? I used to work as an intern with the Marshals and they will check you. Just take the extra couple seconds and take off the holster.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    If it's not plastic, it's advised against wearing an empty holster, to protect the leather.

It can potentially get flattened a bit and can affect the function and retention of your holster.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

If everyone wore there empty holsters it would become common place and the hassle would go away in a short time. Id go for it . It just expands our rights. and if there is no metal in it the alarm will not go off anyway

If I am not mistaken (and I might be), if you park in the parking lot for the courthouse, you are already in violation, whether you leave it in your truck or not. So, if you wear the empty holster, it would be kind of like wearing a bumper sticker on your head that says "check my truck and arrest me!"

I would leave the gun at home.

Here is what I found:

Federal Property Management Regulations
    Title 41, Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart 101-20.3

Inspection (41 CFR 102-20.301). Packages, briefcases, and other contain-ers in the immediate possession of visitors, employees, or other persons arriving on, working at, visiting, or depart-ing from Federal property are subject to inspection. A full Search of a person and any vehicle driven or occupied by the person may accompany an arrest.

Title 18, United States Code, Section 930
    WEAPONS PROHIBITED
    Federal law prohibits the knowing possession or the causing to be present of firearms or other dangerous weapons in Federal facilities and Federal court facilities by all persons not specifically authorized by Title 18 United States Code, Section 930(c) Violators shall be subject to fine and/or imprisonment for periods up to five (5) years.

Full Section 930 text can be found here:
    US CODE: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

AMH
    I am going to be the black sheep here.

Now donít go violating the law, I am not advocating that. STAY LEGAL.

Now with that being said: I would wear it just to make a political statement. I am not into making trouble, but I am in no way ashamed of my 2A rights.

The 2A is about keeping the government honest. I think it is important that every once in a while the citizenry reminds the government that we are indeed armed, and that we have the tools necessary to keep them honest.

Stay safe, stay legal.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

How would they know if they are concealed?

Also as it is a courthouse you will likely be required to remove your belt anyway prior to going through the metal detector.
    So the complaint of they are belt looped is moot as you'll be removing your belt once in anyway.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links