Defensive Carry banner

First Traffic Stop While Armed

5K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  grady 
#1 ·
Well it finally happened. I was on the street leading from my subdivision to US Highway 1 when I noticed motorcylce police running radar. I didn't think I was speeding, but as I got close one of them waved me over. I rolled my window down and when he approached my car window he greeted me and I said "good morning officer." I already had my drivers license and concealed weapons license out of my wallet and handed both to him, with the CWL on top. I then told him that I held a CWL and wanted him to know that I had a loaded revolver in a holster in my right front pocket. He looked at the license and then thanked me very much for telling him. He asked what caliber and I told him .38, and then told him that I did not need to access the pocket to get him the rest of my documents, which I keep in a zipper clip on on my cars visor. He then asked for my registration and proof of insurance, which I gave him and he said that he would be right back and to keep my hands on the steering wheel. I said "yes sir, I will do that." He walked to the back of my car where he got on his radio. In a minute or so he came back, handed me my documents, told me that they were all in order, that they were trying to get people to slow down, that he had clocked me at 45 in a 35MPH zone, that I was on the cusp of where they were issuing tickets, and that I should try to watch my speed. I thanked him, and told him to "stay safe out there.'" He thanked me and that was it.

I don't know if I got off with no ticket because I was polite and gave him the courtesy of telling him I was armed, which is not required in Florida, but it sure didn't hurt, and the whole incident certainly affirmed my respect for LEOs. We were both polite and he reacted in a totally professional manner when I told him I was armed.

Ron

See less See more
#22 ·
No, you don't say anything unless asked. OR, if you have to reach somewhere you may come in contact with the weapon AND the officer will see it.

Although technically not wrong, it does show the officer you are nervous about carrying your weapon and makes you look somewhat silly.

#6 ·
Indeed.

I had a similar experience not too long ago. I had filed for my permit but had not yet received it at the time. I was not armed.

I was pulled over for doing 52 in a 40, although out on a back road and zero traffic around. The officer drove past me going the other direction, then did a U turn and decided to pull me over. I knew when I saw him flip the U-turn in my review mirror that I was in trouble, so I got my license, registration and insurance paperwork out before he even flipped on the siren. I had never been pulled over for anything before, and wanted to make this encounter as painless as possible.

I was extremely polite. I handed him my paperwork and he went back to his car to look it up (or whatever it is cops do with your info during a traffic stop).
When he came back he asked if I was carrying. I said no, I'm waiting for my permit. He said it's already showing up in the system so I should have it soon.
He then told me that since I had a spotless record he'd let me off with a warning, and encouraged me to "slow the heck down".
I've wondered if the CCW bought me some "nice-guy" points or not.

I bought a new radar detector after that.... :rolleyes: What's the fun of living out in the country on a twisty road if you don't enjoy it now and then?

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#9 ·
Exactly. If there is one thing I've learned about a typical officer it's simply to respect them and be honest. You can't dodge every ticket or issue with them by this manor, but more often than not you'll come out of the situation a lot better than you would by being a pita.

#8 ·
Yep, that's the way it's supposed to go. Be polite and usually things go well.
Just remember if you get a ticket for speeding you deserve it, you were speeding, and if you get let off with a warning count your blessings and go buy $75.00 worth of ammo.:image035:

#11 ·
And, by the way, if the officer had written a ticket it would not have changed my attitude about him and the professional way he handled the fact that I was armed. I was speeding and he would have been perfectly justified in issuing a ticket. I realize that I got off lucky.

Ron

#46 ·
I am a police officer in NW Indiana and can confirm what you just said. People have been known to talk themselves into a ticket, or even jail for that matter. We (officers) are able to use discretion in our job, but if somebody wants to be a jerk, I have no problem not cutting them a break.

#13 ·
It's always nice to hear about an encounter like this. Even better that this is the norm, rather than the exception. I guess it all comes back to that saying, "treat others as you would like to be treated".

#16 ·
yeah most cops are pretty cool with HCP holder's , now this may sound crazy , but i just couldn't wait to get pulled over , so i could show my permit and see the reaction, on the 4 th of july the state police had them a nice road block set up , i said oh good they ought to enjoy this , i thought ,{ felony stop } would be their reaction as soon as i said handgun, cause they were arresting people left and right , i pulled up , he said , liscense , i said here is both and told him i had a handgun , he handed them back , and said have a safe 4 th , i said don't you want to see my insurance or registration ? he just smiled and said no , your ok .. very un-eventful stop , most cops are very kosher with armed citizens ....

#19 ·
It is really encouraging when we read of events like this ... the common threat is "Respect". To all the LEO's out there, thanks for a great job, stay safe!

#20 ·
International Sign of "I'm Carrying"?

My instructor for my CCW class (former LEO/Marine) told us that if we're carrying in our vehicle (legal in MO w/out license) that we should roll the driver window down, hands out. He said that this originated as a sign between LEO's if one was off duty and got pulled over. What do you think?

#21 ·
My instructor for my CCW class (former LEO/Marine) told us that if we're carrying in our vehicle (legal in MO w/out license) that we should roll the driver window down, hands out. He said that this originated as a sign between LEO's if one was off duty and got pulled over. What do you think?
I think its a little overboard and slightly goofy.

#26 ·
I had a similar situation yesterday. I was going over the limit when I entered a 35 mph zone. I saw the officer coming towards me start to slow down and make a u-turn afer I passed. I pulled over, kept my hands on the steering wheel and informed the officer that I had a permit and was carrying. He said " I figured you did because of the box of .38's on your front seat." He thanked me for informing him and I handed him my license and registration. He gave me a verbal warning that "in town, 35mph means 35mph." After he returned my license I asked him about informing LE that I am carrying. He said that he and the other officers he works with appreciate being told up front so no one is suprised.

#27 ·
And that seems to be the prevailing wisdom in the CCW community. Advise the officer, as a matter of courtesy, even if not legally required to do so.

Ron

#30 ·
Ron- please read the words you quoted me as saying. I clearly state you did nothing WRONG.

I was simply stating it's not necessary.

Around here, telling the officer you have a permit is like telling him you had a quickie with your wife in the morning. He's going to say "good for you."

At least that's how it works with me. I'm not a felon and I don't pose a threat. The officer won't ever have a reason to pull me out of my car or do a search. Therefore he really doesn't care what I have in the car and doesn't need to be told something that doesn't have anything to do with writing me a warning for going 10 over.

I'm speaking from personal experience.

#34 ·
No, I fully understand that it's a nice feeling to come away from a "meeting" with the police that goes well and seems like it probably went better for you than most people. It's a nice warm and fuzz feeling but my only point is it's not the wisest thing to do.

I believe I did that once.

I've since chosen NOT to advise them and it's never caused me a problem and can't cause me a problem. At any point in the encounter I can always let them know. If they say "can you please get out of the car" I can tell them. If they ask I can tell them. If they see a magazine in my glovebox when I have to reach in to get something for them and they ask I can tell them. I do NOT have to tell them right away.

If anything, it might save me from a hassle if the officer happens to be ignorant like some...

I have nothing against police. I'd be one had I not made my current career choice.

#35 ·
I have always informed an officer that I was carrying when asked, and they have always asked when I presented my permit. In many parts of the country it is required, in others it is considered a courtesy to the officer. My experience has always been that they appreciated the notification, as I did when I was a reserve. My experience is that it's best to be upfront with them. If yours is different, please don't hesitate to relate it, but that does not lessen others experiences that are to the contrary.....

#37 ·
Bumper you provided the two instances where you divulge information when asked but none where you freely give out information unsolicited.

By quoting me, I thought you were going to argue against my point but you've only supported it 100%.

You only have said you do what I suggest be done- tell them you have a permit only if asked and tell them about your gun only if asked or if they know you have a permit.

It seems we are on the same page but I'm thinking you weren't seeing that originally?

Sometimes my point is so simple that people miss it and think I'm trying to argue with them. I hope that is not the case here.

:)

#39 ·
I think we understand your point, but some of us simply disagree with it. Some of us believe that it is the appropriate and courteous thing to advise the officer, whether or not asked or required. Others, such as yourself, think that if not required or asked, it is best to not volunteer the information. No problem. That is what makes it all interesting. The polite exchange of different views.

Ron

#38 ·
Hey Ron...

Glad it worked out just as it ought to...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

#40 ·
I've been a police officer for 11 years. I appreciate it when someone lets me know that they are carrying, and I do not think they are silly for doing it. I think the majority of the officers that I work with also appreciate it, and don't think it's silly. Maybe a few think it's silly, I don't know. Everybody dunks their Oreo cookie a little differently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.