First Traffic Stop While Armed

This is a discussion on First Traffic Stop While Armed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well it finally happened. I was on the street leading from my subdivision to US Highway 1 when I noticed motorcylce police running radar. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Traffic Stop While Armed

First Traffic Stop While Armed

Well it finally happened. I was on the street leading from my subdivision to US Highway 1 when I noticed motorcylce police running radar. I didn't think I was speeding, but as I got close one of them waved me over. I rolled my window down and when he approached my car window he greeted me and I said "good morning officer." I already had my drivers license and concealed weapons license out of my wallet and handed both to him, with the CWL on top. I then told him that I held a CWL and wanted him to know that I had a loaded revolver in a holster in my right front pocket. He looked at the license and then thanked me very much for telling him. He asked what caliber and I told him .38, and then told him that I did not need to access the pocket to get him the rest of my documents, which I keep in a zipper clip on on my cars visor. He then asked for my registration and proof of insurance, which I gave him and he said that he would be right back and to keep my hands on the steering wheel. I said "yes sir, I will do that." He walked to the back of my car where he got on his radio. In a minute or so he came back, handed me my documents, told me that they were all in order, that they were trying to get people to slow down, that he had clocked me at 45 in a 35MPH zone, that I was on the cusp of where they were issuing tickets, and that I should try to watch my speed. I thanked him, and told him to "stay safe out there.'" He thanked me and that was it.

I don't know if I got off with no ticket because I was polite and gave him the courtesy of telling him I was armed, which is not required in Florida, but it sure didn't hurt, and the whole incident certainly affirmed my respect for LEOs. We were both polite and he reacted in a totally professional manner when I told him I was armed.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Handled perfect on both sides.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I got stopped once and told the cop I was carrying and he grinned and said thats okay,if you don't pull yours I won't have to pull mine.I agreed and everything was cool.sj

Attitude is everything!
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

In most cases, if you are polite, a warning is all you will get. If you are driving crazy, or going 15 or 20 MPH over the limit, then that is a different story.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    In most cases, if you are polite, a warning is all you will get. If you are driving crazy, or going 15 or 20 MPH over the limit, then that is a different story.
    Indeed.

I had a similar experience not too long ago. I had filed for my permit but had not yet received it at the time. I was not armed.

I was pulled over for doing 52 in a 40, although out on a back road and zero traffic around. The officer drove past me going the other direction, then did a U turn and decided to pull me over. I knew when I saw him flip the U-turn in my review mirror that I was in trouble, so I got my license, registration and insurance paperwork out before he even flipped on the siren. I had never been pulled over for anything before, and wanted to make this encounter as painless as possible.

I was extremely polite. I handed him my paperwork and he went back to his car to look it up (or whatever it is cops do with your info during a traffic stop).
    When he came back he asked if I was carrying. I said no, I'm waiting for my permit. He said it's already showing up in the system so I should have it soon.
    He then told me that since I had a spotless record he'd let me off with a warning, and encouraged me to "slow the heck down".
    I've wondered if the CCW bought me some "nice-guy" points or not.

I bought a new radar detector after that.... What's the fun of living out in the country on a twisty road if you don't enjoy it now and then?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Respect begets respect. You and the officer did a really good job.....

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to go. Be polite and usually things go well.
    Just remember if you get a ticket for speeding you deserve it, you were speeding, and if you get let off with a warning count your blessings and go buy $75.00 worth of ammo.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1500 View Post
    Respect begets respect. You and the officer did a really good job.....
    Exactly. If there is one thing I've learned about a typical officer it's simply to respect them and be honest. You can't dodge every ticket or issue with them by this manor, but more often than not you'll come out of the situation a lot better than you would by being a pita.
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    if you get let off with a warning count your blessings and go buy $75.00 worth of ammo.
    Great! Another CCW requirement I can add to my list!

And, by the way, if the officer had written a ticket it would not have changed my attitude about him and the professional way he handled the fact that I was armed. I was speeding and he would have been perfectly justified in issuing a ticket. I realize that I got off lucky.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Being polite and extending a little courtesy toward a police officer tends to go a long way. Most officers cut a little bit of a break to those who are polite and courteous to them. You may still get a ticket but the ticket may have a few miles trimmed off.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    It's always nice to hear about an encounter like this. Even better that this is the norm, rather than the exception. I guess it all comes back to that saying, "treat others as you would like to be treated".
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Similar

I got pulled over recently. When I told the cop I was carrying he smiled and said "what is it?"

I told him a Kahr and he said "nice"

I knew I wasn't getting a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Yep, that's the way it's supposed to go. Be polite and usually things go well.
    Just remember if you get a ticket for speeding you deserve it, you were speeding, and if you get let off with a warning count your blessings and go buy $75.00 worth of ammo.
    I like it

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links